Atheist Fundamentalism and the Limits of Science

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lightgigantic, Dec 3, 2007.

1. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Firstly, not really. Atheism is a lack of belief in gods, the statement made was that proper science education could dissuade people from a belief in heaven. They're different things - unless you want to change the meaning of atheism.

Secondly the claim is made by an atheist but is not a claim based on atheism.

Atheism is a lack of belief in gods - that's it. The question is ultimately pointless.

No, that's an opinion based upon certain factors.

I lack a belief in gods and werewolves etc partly because I have learnt, understand and agree with the scientific method and as such am less likely to "have a belief in heaven", (or other such things outside the scope of the scientific method).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't you say that means based on consciousness cannot be extended to include anything in the physical universe?

Science makes use of inspiration and introspection as well, but they don't stop there, these ideas are then brought to the physical world for confirmation. What sort of confirmation could there possibly be if the idea only exists in your mind?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. elsyarango Registered Member

atheism is a belief that there are no deities

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Wrong !
    Atheism is the lack of belief in deities.

8. elsyarango Registered Member

i am an atheist. i believe that there is no such thing as any gods. that is what atheism is about. i deny the existence of any god.

9. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

So who is one that does not believe in a god, yet at the same time does not completely rule out the possibility of a god?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Agnostic

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

i believe that there is no such thing as any gods

i deny the existence of any god

Two different things..

12. elsyarango Registered Member

there is a difference between ignorance and intelligence.
    ignorance means i will never admit that i am wrong.
    intelligence means that i will admit that i am wrong.

anybody that calls themself anything but ignorant is open to the possibility that they are wrong. otherwise you do do not fall under anything but ignorance.

13. elsyarango Registered Member

that fact that i believe there is no such thing as any gods means i am denying gods existence. they are the same.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Provided you cannot know it of course..

15. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

With all due respect, I believe what you are talking about is completely unrelated to the current topic.

16. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Sheesh.. I would explain it all but it really honestly truly has been done to death. Do a search and you'll find out the differences between weak atheism, strong atheism and agnosticism.

17. elsyarango Registered Member

anybody that says i believe in something, but i am not open to the belief that 'i am wrong and the opposite belief is right' is ignorant. they are not relevant to this discussion.

if i say i believe there is no god and i am not open to being wrong, i am simply called an ignorant ass atheist.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You may want to say that you think there are no gods, in stead.

19. elsyarango Registered Member

????
    what matter of rubbish?
    sorry, but i dont agree with any of that. i find it silly. no offense to anybody. i find theism just as silly. but theist find my beliefs silly, so its ok.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

According to the theists here you are a theist as well because you believe there are no gods..

21. elsyarango Registered Member

whatever. i can say i think there are no gods. i believe their are not gods. i totally deny any gods existing. i have a disbelief in gods. i think gods are fairytale. under the debate of diety existence i stand on the position that gods dont exist. bravo.

22. elsyarango Registered Member

according to me i have not met any theist friend of yours that nuts enough to consider my a theist.

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

or alternatively, dawkin's standard for defining delusion is sub-standard