Atheist Realism?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by ronan, May 12, 2008.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm being sarcastic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ronan Only Consciousness Exists Registered Senior Member

Ok but you were still right
    sarcasm and truth can go together and they should be together to have more effect

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Of course I can (and I did). I can only tell you about what I have visibility into (which was done) and I can explain what I don't have visibility into (which was done).

I am not talking about symbols. I am talking about difference. A unit of 1 is different than a unit of 2 regardless of whether or not there are humans to symbolize it.

Why would I need to define rules? Difference is an inequality.

No. Differences are mind independent.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ronan Only Consciousness Exists Registered Senior Member

So you also agree with a kantian view (at least until you find the answer

)

Can you say that number as concept are mind independent ?

and if you talk about the numbers of apple, or the numbers of electron, then you have a background for counting.

8. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

No idea, I don't know what a kantian view is.

Any concept requires a mind. Quantity on the other hand doesn't require a mind.

Which would be irrelevant becuase those objects exist whether or not I count them.

9. ronan Only Consciousness Exists Registered Senior Member

educate your self and read again the thread, maybe the questions I am asking you will become more clear.

you mean quantity is not a concept?

So you want to say that apple and electron exist in the reality?

10. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Nowhere does this article or any other web resource describe what a Kantian view is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Kant

You're going to have to show what it is.

It is a concept that corresponds to mind-independent reality and reality exists whether or not there are humans to conceive it.

If you wanted to be technical a more correct statement are that some cross sections of reality yield differences that humans label apple and electron.

11. ronan Only Consciousness Exists Registered Senior Member

Be independent, you did not understand what I was asking you:
    educate yourself about Kant and then come back to read the thread again!

That is your view but how you prove that ?
    Kant and Hume would say that we cannot

Ok so you are saying that information is reality but we interpret as being electron and apple because of our human mind: this is basically Kant's view and all what I said in this thread is about that. (I am not refereeing to all Kantian view, but the particular one about reality behind our experience)

We cannot know what this reality/information/god is but we assume(BELIEVE) that it exist.

12. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I agree with SAM. (Are you going to challenge that, ronan

?)

Note the subjective nature - we can only draw inferences about "reality" based on some axioms:
    - There exists some things external to our perceptions, with an existence independent of our own. (ie objective reality exists)
    - At least some properties of real things are consistently perceivable.
    - Our senses/perceptions inform us reasonably reliably of at least some properties of these real things.
    - The principle of induction holds

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  13. ronan Only Consciousness Exists Registered Senior Member

Pete, did you read the whole threads before posting?
    I said that it was not my intention to generate fear from atheist.

I do not believe that atheist share the same view and that I know what is this view. This is basically why I created the thread: to know

From now on, most atheist who talked share a (in some extent I agree) Kantian view about reality which is in some sense (but not completely) mine as well

What is your view of reality?

Theist are welcome also but the thread is created for the view of atheist to keep the thread better ordered. You can create a thread on theist view if you want. It is a good idea.

14. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Sorry, ronan. I deleted that post after I saw that it had been addressed.

15. ronan Only Consciousness Exists Registered Senior Member

for S.A.M.reality is what we see and interpret. It is for Kant, the phenomenal reality and for Hume what we can only know.

My challenge for this is: From where does it come from?
    in other word: Can something (phenomeanl reality) can come from nothing ?

You seem to differ in some points with S.A.M.
    She does not talk about objective reality
    She talk only about reality which is according to her the inference from the perception (data), sense and experience (tools)

You seem to say that there is a reality behind, this is Kant's noumena
    When you talk about "real thing", do you want to say that they exist in the objective reality? How do you prove it?
    induction is not enough!
    It is not because you know the data:
    1 2 3
    that the laws behind is
    f(0)=1
    f(n+1)=f(n)+1
    it could be many other things such as
    f(-1)=1
    f(0)=1
    f(n+1)=f(n)+f(n-1)
    You will only know that after you discover that in fact it continue this way:
    1 2 3 5 8 13 ...

16. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Ronan,

Implying that everything must come from somewhere, which is an invalid conclusion. There is a far more compeling explanation that there is no need for an origin.

Which is a contrived notion to condition the audience to conclude everything must come from somewhere to which of course your answer is a god and is necessary.

Once you realize that an origin is not a necessity then all arguments that lean on that requirement to support a god concept simply become vacuous.

17. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Both Sam and I proceed as if our perceptions match some objective reality - we both operate on the axiom that objective reality exists.
    The actual truth of that axiom (whether objective reality really does exist or not) is unknown and fundamentally unknowable.
    We have a choice - we can choose to believe that objective reality exists, or we can choose to believe that it doesn't. Choosing to believe that there is no objective reality would be useless - it gives no functional guidance. That leaves only one option; the option that every sentient being takes, which is to behave as if the outside world is not just a figment of your imagination.

Induction is a necessary axiom.
    If induction doesn't hold, it is impossible to draw any inferences about reality... which makes the whole exercise meaningless.
    If reality exists and it is possible to know anything about it, then the principle of induction must hold.

Correct... you can only make inferences based on the data you have. If more data demonstrates a conflict with past inferences, you change your inferences. Does that change reality?

18. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Ronan,

Even though he is on record saying 'to a jesuit priest I am an atheist"?

19. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

How is that a challenge of my view of reality? It appears to be two separate questions. Separate from my view of reality, and separate from each other.

20. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Ronan,

No, since the word god carries with it vast baggage of implications.

Perhaps because you cannot conceive of a scenario where your god is unnecessary. You seem to have created a personal notion for yourself of a necessary dependent reality, when no such dependency is a necessity.

A tortuous path where many philosophers fundamentally disagree with Kant, and others offer contradictory definitions. It is also a concept where most have enormous difficulty understanding.

21. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

You are merely swapping one given word with another word and then saying "look, everyone believes in it". You might as well just say that an apple is god and thus - as pretty much every atheist believes an apple exists they actually believe god exists which means all atheists are theists. It's a retarded argument.

All these atheists are atheists - they don't have belief in gods. If you want to assert that 'reality' or 'dog turd' are god and thus those atheists really do, you'll have to define entirely what you mean by god because you're confusing the word. If what you mean by 'god' is simply reality or dog turd with no distinguishing features then I suggest you just call it dog turd and done with it.

Well, there are many different 'types' of god, but I doubt you'll get a warm reception if you just label any random thing as 'god' and think it is sufficient.

22. ronan Only Consciousness Exists Registered Senior Member

Here we are talking about a particular kind of theists we believe in a particular kind of god, please read the thread, the discussion did not stop here.

I am like many atheist, I have difficulties to imagine that something can come from nothing, in a other thread you also say that you share this feeling. And I also agree with the ineffability of this reality/god.

I am talking about the one we agree with Kant (not all his statements but his statements regarding the encompassing reality). And it is common to many atheists as it has been shown in this thread.

It is not merely a swapping of word, did you follow the discussion:
    some atheist believe in Kantian view that there is an encompassign reality out there but that we cannot know what it is. (in part because we are part of it)

Some theist also believe in this kind of encompassing reality, they call it god.

You are not part getting to my point, imagine people from two culture with a different language, at some point for living happilly together, they have to conclude that what they call dog is the same as what the other call "chien" (french word for dog)

I am not saying that all theist believe in this kind of god neither I am saying that all atheist believe in an inefable encompassing reality.

It was not a random thing, please read the thread .
    I am talking about the ineffabel encompassing reality that many atheist believe in it, similarly many theist believe in a inefable encompassing god

23. ronan Only Consciousness Exists Registered Senior Member

of course not! but that makes the reality unknowable by induction !!