Atheists

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Muslim, Feb 20, 2006.

1. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Taking "spiritual" in its non-theistic sense (wonder, awe, the Mysterium Tremendum) sure we do. Don't theists? We aren't emotionless robots you know. We just don't invoke a massive unknown, evidence-less entity to explain the cosmos. But, I would guess that our times of "spiritual vacuum" are much less intense and threatening to our well being as a theists are. Simply because what we base our philosophy on is observable, testable, rational, and "real". If something comes along to challenge or change that (like a profound new physical or biological result) we usually are excited and want to learn more. You can see how this makes an atheists world view much more robust that a theists, at least in theory.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I ask because under conditions of extreme physical or emotional duress, I feel an uncontrollable, compelling urge to pray...its almost unconscious, esp in times of great pain.

What does an atheist fall back on?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Everything but a god.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Reason, rationale, and the ability to manage duress.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I hope I do too, I meant more in terms of a source of emotional strength. For example, my mother's love and support have enabled me to make many difficult choices in my life and saved me from a humdrum existence. She is a source of great emotional strength to me, as are certain friends, who have believed in me when I was unsure. But in their absence, or for certain decisions where I cannot have them involved, I pray and it offers me a great measure of relief.

Hopefully after that, I use my rationale to make a rational decision and manage the duress adequately.

I am curious; I really would like to know.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Don't be lead to believe that prayer will actually have any effect on the outcome. It's merely a way of escaping the duress temporarily, and does nothing to actually address it.

Since prayer does not address duress (can I say that in the same sentence?) then it is rather useless and wastes the necessary time you need to manage the duress.

Forget prayer, and instead, jump directly to reasoning and rationalizing your duress. You'll find it helps tremendously.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Wish I had your strength; I find that directly jumping in never solves the problem, may even exacerbate it. Praying helps me to focus, sometimes lets me see issues about the problem not obvious before.

Anyway, would you change a way of life that works excellently for you?

I find religion gives structure to my spiritual life, I am very spiritual and I cannot just hope that it will "go away". It offers me a framework on which to base my faith, helps me to understand people (even atheists) and is a part of my peronality, who I am. Denying my religion is as equivalent to being false to myself as an idea of theism would be to make you feel that way.

11. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I think that atheists like me, who never had a religious background, find the idea of praying for support as odd as you would find not praying.

I agree with the previous posters in that I rely on inner reason and "thinking things through" and in times of physical duress, lots and lots of swearing!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Based on the posts in sciforums that is a "religion" all by itself LOL

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

And a high art form too, IMHO.

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Just a note, for me spiritualism is a very powerful force to bind my relationship with myself to a deep appreciation of both reality and fantasy. It's very empowering and it can be exercised without acceptance of fantasy as reality.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So, praying is more like stress management for you? And of course, you don't expect anything to be affected by your prayers, right?

Only unless I found a better way. One must be open to new ideas.

Well, I'm afraid I'd have to disagree on that since spirituality has not been shown to exist, that is, unless you refer to spirituality as giving you warm and fuzzies all over?

Denying religion simply means that you're denying the notion gods and the supernatural exist.

Denying YOUR religion over others simply means you believe in one more god than me. But, the question would remain, why would you deny the other religions over yours?

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You seem to (deliberately?) misunderstand what I am trying to say.

Since you are obviously not a spiritual person, it would be like tryng to explain the taste of a fruit to one who has never heard of or seen it.

A fruitless atempt.

17. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Pray do not be offended, but you have made a singularily presumptuous, unsubstantiated, and ignorant statement.

I leave it to you to find, if you think it necessary, the considerable volume of literature relating to problem solving in humans. The quality of the decision, and the speed with which good quality decisions are reached, are both partly, but significantly, dependent upon the state of mind of the problem solver. A reasonably calm, certainly a focused state, is beneficial. Prayer can assist in attaining this state rapidly and consistently.

If you are to appreciate the value of prayer then you have to objectively assess its effects, and distinguish them from its overt purpose and mechanism - seeking help by speaking to God. Your aversion to the latter has quite blinded you to the reality of the former. That isn't bad science, it is not science.

18. perplexity Banned Banned

I have never understood how the prospect of Heaven or Hell or reincarnation are supposed to comfort, with far too many unknown factors already in the equation before death, never mind the beyond.

Religion for me has rather increased the duress, especially when young, with the terrifyingly insecure prospect of ultimate approval ... "will I be good enough".... etc.

Without the variety of eventual threats to worry about the promise of total oblivion would rather be a comforting prospect.

--- Ron.

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Is YOUR singularily presumptuous, unsubstantiated and ignorant statement based on evidence or personal experience?

Please do objectively assess its effects as opposed to subjectively speculating?

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Neither one of us is a spiritual person, hence you've also not tasted the 'fruit' you refer. No one has.

Anyone who claimed such things would be lying.

21. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Arguing over definitions. We need a word that expresses the same emotional content for an atheist as "spiritual" does for a theist. We all share this emotion at times.

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I shall address these questions when you have the courage to acknowledge my desription of your remarks was accurate, or you have demonstrated that they are false. Until then kindly leave your arrogance warming on the fire.

23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

May I apologise. This isn't the first time I have mistaken stupidity for arrogance. Please continue your groundless 'thoughts' without further intervention from me.