Athelwulf's 1000th

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by water, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

now now get your nose out of my ass.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but moving post count celebrations to the cesspool sound good to me.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Arditezza Banned Banned

How about we discourage people from saying absolutely nothing relevant at all, and delete all their posts that don't contribute to the topic or are completely "chit chat" type posts...

That would bring it in line with people who actually have respectable post counts as opposed to self-inflated star-camping post counts. I don't care how "young" the useless poster is, a useless sot is a useless sot no matter how many people like him or stick up for him.

We seem to have a over-abundance of useless sots around here, we shouldn't encourage the behavior is all I am saying.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Arditezza,

Hey I got started on that but the out rage from Athelwulf, woo don't go there

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Guys, . . . Stop ruining the damn thread and let's get this cyberparty started.

. . . OMFG.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

party? I thought this was a hazing?

9. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

This party is pretty lame...

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Now this is a party:

The moral of the story boys and girls is don't make to much of your post count, or others will... and you don't want that!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  11. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

12. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Dreamwalker, yer avatar reminds me of Godless.

I wonder if he's done moving yet.

Seriously guys, let's just party.

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

you mean the hazing.

14. Arditezza Banned Banned

Seriously, Athelwulf.

If you aren't interested in the discussion to be had here (outside the "chit chat" forums) why do you come here? Why not just use a chat room, or AIM and stop wasting peoples time with all your useless one-line posts and off topic banter.

1,000 posts is something to celebrate if any of your posts had content relative to the intention of the site. But sadly, your posts are lacking in the thought department.

There is no party here, move along.

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Arditezza,

Now now Athelwulf has made contribuative post before, just as I'm sure you have made very non-contribuative post.

16. Arditezza Banned Banned

Conrad: "The fish is talking!"
    Cat in the Hat: "Sure, but is he really saying anything? hmm no."

I've made non-contributive posts. Everyone here has, but when Athelwulfs, 2% of 1000 posts is contributing something, and the other 98% is not... is he really an effective member of a community that comes together in the idea of science? I know you don't get it, because you have the tendancy to be extremely "chit-chatty" yourself. But I think I've already drawn a line in similarity between you two.

You could (I know it's hard for you since you are busy speaking for everyone else all the time) actually let him answer for himself.

17. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

"a community that comes together in the idea of science"

Hahahhahaha. Thats about maybe 20% of what goes on at Sciforums. It might have been the original ideal, but its gone a long way from that now. I dont mind it like it is just now, and think that we should encourage the younger members to join in more and learn and stuff.

18. Arditezza Banned Banned

That's just it, they aren't learning stuff because they are too busy trying to inflate their ego's and post counts. It's counter-productive. I think the fact that most people use this place as a chat room, and Dear Abby column is quite silly and doesn't further the intention but detract from it even further.

I know that I didn't come here just to pal around with friends and get my post count up. I think this thread, along with others that encourage spammy posting from people with nothing to say should be discouraged, thrown in the Cesspool and eventually deleted for the trash that they are.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I was amazed that the word association thread hadn't been shoved in the cesspool yet.

If there ever was a cesspool thread it is this one. Even the 3 word story requires more brain power since you have to think of 3 words to write down.

20. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Well Arditezza, no particular answer is possible, except to say I dont agree.
    So there.

21. water the sea Registered Senior Member

When a thread is started, one cannot predict or have complete control over the way it will go.

Athelwulf needs some encouragement, so I started this thread. Instead of just bashing him, you could give your criticism with a little more tact.

SF is also a place of social interaction, and older members have the power to teach the younger ones both about how to discuss, as well as some valuable lessons for life. Using a hostile and disregarding tone will mostly not have a positive effect on the person you wish to educate.

Goleman, in his book Emotional intelligence suggests these characteristics of a god criticism:

1. Be definite. Clearly say where the problem is, what is wrong, how you experience this and what could be changed.
    2. Suggest a solution.
    3. Be present all the time.
    4. Be sensitive.

I think these guidelines are very good and should be kept to.

In fact, I will make a suggestion for you, Arditezza: I know from before that you are concerned about the state of these forums as far as scientific discussion and the behaviour of members are concerned.
    Why don't you make a memo, post it in "About the members" and ask a moderator to make it a sticky?
    This way it will be there for everyone to see, and your criticism will have far more chance to be adhered to, rather than being buried within this thread.

22. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

*yawn* hello again everyone.... miss me?

whats been going on?
    i clicked 'new posts' and after 6 days there were about 15 posts 0.o
    i demand that all of the useless posters that signed in and never posted should be deleted, which should cause less trafficking off google and less morons joining here to talk about crap.

as for now, mc well done on 1000. ('mc' means extra extra good x a million)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.