Atlantis was real?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by nicholas1M7, Jun 30, 2006.

1. valich Registered Senior Member

Metakron: Thanks a lot for the quick correction there! I'm very weak in history and only know this subject from reading Plato and seeing the Caribbbean documentation on t.v. that only suggested that it might be Atlantis. Still, in regards to the Caribbean location, plate tectonics offers no evidence that a site Plato could have heard about was in the Caribbean. I find this unbelievable and more believable that Atlantis never existed or else was another early location that was suddenly totally destroyed by a natural event.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Valich:

Pompeii never sank beneath the waves. You can walk its city streets today, and still read its graphiti inscriptions on its walls, and warning signs such as "Cave Canem". Here, Metakron is correct.

While it is tempting to believe that a sinking of a mediterranean island gave rise to the story of Atlantis, I'm not yet convinced that such is its origin, though it appears probable.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Another possibility is that a city arose on the shores of the Mediterranean, or in the Black Sea basin, circa 8,000 B.C., when there was one final 'melt' of the ice age end, raising the ocean the last 50 feet or so to its current level, and also flooding the Black Sea (and possibly also giving rise to the Noah story).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Novacane Registered Senior Member

Frozen 8,000 year old elephant and camel dung found near the top of Mt. Ararat in Turkey would be convincing enough evidence for confirming the Noah story?

8. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Novacane:

Reference?

9. Vega Banned Banned

Yeah, 8,000 year old dung should be interesting!!
    I hope I don't have to wait 8,000 years for the reference!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Elephants and camels? Heard of Hannibal?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal
    Those were at least 37 war elephants that made it over Pyrenees and the Alps.

Even if that dung exists, then it has no support for the Ark theory whatsoever.
    Also it has been proved that old Noah couldn't have possibly physically done what is claimed in the bible.
    Even more, that is a mythological, not a historical event.

p.s. Prince James, sorry about the delay on innate knowledge thread, but I've been burried in work today. I'll make that thread as soon as I have the time.

11. Novacane Registered Senior Member

You just might find some possible reference to it in: http://www.grahamkendall.net/Main_Files/B17-flood.txt

If not, then check out:
    http://www.creationism.org/genesis.htm

If you still can't find anything on it, then I would look at:
    http://grahamkendall.net/Unsorted_files-1/A140-Radiodating_Inaccuracy.txt

If you still can't find anything on it in these three references I mentioned above, then I recommend to just let your imagination be your guide. After all, I originally only asked a question about it anyway

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Cave Canem? Are you serious? That means "Beware of Dog." I guess some things never change.

14. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Well, what do we know of advanced societies that have gone away and weren't lost continents? Had scientific advancement been allowed to continue since the time of Plato, we would have been on the moon more than a thousand years ago. The Dark Ages regressed us tremendously.

On the list of things that we know of that were around two thousand years ago: Dentistry including metal and ceramic parts to fit to teeth. Anaesthesia and surgical aesepsis. Chemistry. Glazed ceramics. Metal working, including steel. Electrical batteries. Fine-toothed gears made of brass. Hand tools that could handle small objects, like tools for surgery. The pyroelectric effect had already been discovered as had the use of steam to generate mechanical power. The earliest examples of magnifying lenses were from about that time. Electromagnetism, I don't know. Electroplating of metals, probably.

It was all there in bits and pieces and the ruling regimes started murdering people for possessing that "forbidden knowledge." They actually thought people from outer space would come down and destroy us all if we aspired to an industrialized society. I think they were just control freaks who did what control freaks like to do.

Human knowledge tends to explode when it gets the chance. The right combination of a healthy population, good education, favorable weather for a time, those things can create a renaissance of technology and society over a relatively short period, like what happened with Europeans recently. Maybe Atlantean marvels weren't anything like what we have in the 20th century, but maybe they were still quite impressive. A lot of it has to do with the quality of the craftsman and his or her opportunities, too.

15. valich Registered Senior Member

So far it from what has been posted there is no evidence that Atlantis ever existed beyond pure speculation.

16. valich Registered Senior Member

So far from what has been posted there is no evidence that Atlantis ever existed beyond pure speculation.

17. Novacane Registered Senior Member

I guess from all historic indications, Plato was a speculator. He would probably make a good 'Day Trader' in today's society.

18. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Metakron:

I'm impressed you knew the translation of Cave Canem! Interesting post above about lost technologies of 2,000 years ago. I guess that's why we called it the "Dark" ages. Those pillaging Vandals, et al. really did a number on us. The burning of the Library at Alexandria didn't help us any.

Walter

19. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Thank you, Walter.

20. Novacane Registered Senior Member

Yea.....and I just keep thinking about all those overdue books that were never returned to it either. Bummer!

21. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Santorini

Further, I could say that the sea level was about 125 metres lower ca.14,000 BC, so there would have been a lot more islands above water then (as there were in the Pacific and Indian Oceans as well, obviously) than there are now. The folk-memory of those islands would be the basis of subsequent legends.

22. Novacane Registered Senior Member

Lot's of beach front property available in those days.

23. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

How nice of NOAA to provide the world with a topographical map of the ocean that does not include a key for its color coding. If the oceans were 125 meters lower, all continental shelves and all regions at that same depth would have been above water. This map's color coding doesn't even look right because it re-uses colors for above and below the water:

Mid-Atlantic

Would it have killed the USGS to include numbers for the depths?

Worldwide ocean topography map

The worldwide map reveals several very large areas that seem to be eligible as locations for sunken lands that were above water 14,000 years ago, using the criteria that they are not deeper than the continental shelves. New Zealand is less than a fourth the size that it would have been then, and there was a land bridge between Australia and the Asian continents. There had to have been people on those lands then. Great Britain would have been part of the continent. Greenland, Iceland, and Europe were part of one continent.

The problem is having too many candidates for Atlantis, not too few.

The ocean depths were lower because of the Ice Age, and the exposed margins of the continents, as in Greenland and Iceland, were prime candidates for human settlements wherever conditions would keep the ice away. They were also good locations because of the oceans. Oceanfront property is valuable for reasons other than the view. Many tropical and subtropical islands would have been much larger than they are now and much more accessible in small boats or even on foot. They would have been a much larger part of the habitable areas. Glaciers would obviously never form on lands that don't experience cold winters.

The physical possibility of the sudden sinking of a small island state is illustrated by the Helike event.