Attitudes to rape

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by James R, Oct 27, 2006.

?

I believe the following are mitigating circumstances in rape (see first post):

1. Woman was wearing 'sexy' or revealing clothing.

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. Woman had many past sexual partners.

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Woman was drunk at the time (i.e. got herself drunk).

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Woman at no time clearly said "No" to sex.

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Woman previously flirted with the rapist.

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  6. Woman was in a relationship with the rapist at the time.

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  7. Woman was married to the rapist.

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  8. Woman had consented to sex with the rapist on another occasion.

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  9. Woman had a reputation for being sexually promiscuous.

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. None of the above.

37 vote(s)
    56.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Bells:

Yes, as her promiscuity would not extend to men. She would thus have a very real reason for why she did not want to have sex with that man.

I do not associate with men who would rape, no. I have known women who have been subjected to such, though.

And I agree, of course he mustn't rape. However, women can do things to not inspire weak willed men.

Do you make it a habit to put liquor infront of a drunkard? Do you put heroin before a recovering addict?

I woudl have no problem doing any of that. However, emotional responses from women who have been victims of certain crimes do not invalidate arguments.

Also, you didn't really answer my question: Where did I say that women are morally to blame for rape because they dress provocatively? In fact, I am sure you will find I -never- said that, and have -repeatedly- affirmed otherwise.

Considering many websites do affirm that a common defense is "she was dressing provocatively", and this is also a common belief, it would seem to imply that many cases have some provocatively-dressed element to them. Moreover, inferring from statistics based on the knowledge of how people of a certain age are more likely to dress, is as valid as inferring that women aged 50-60 are more likely to be taking medication related to menopause compared to those 10-20.

http://www.eastandard.net/archives/cl/hm_news/news_s.php?articleid=2905&date=13/10/2004

Rape in Kenya in areas where women are more likely to wear scanty dress are significantly higher than in areas where such is not the case, according to the above.

Actually, she'd have the same rights of mine. And to I'd have no intent to "force myself" on her.

Blahblahblahirrationalwomanblahblahblah.

No, one flesh implies that -neither- has the right to their own bodies at that point.

Well the very notion really destroys marriage in a true sense, so...whatever. If you want to live in a half-marriage that has no foundations for the social role marriage continues to play, that is your business.

Have I not affirmed -repeatedly- that I do not mean a subjugation of women beneath men in regards to access to one another's genitals?

He technically had a problem with marriage as a whole. In fact, that is one of the reasons he never married. He claimed that the sex act objectifies another person.

Of course, one is met with then a huge difficulty in regards to the Categorical Imperative: One could not universalize "never have sex" as this implies global suicide.

TheoryOfRelativity:

I never said it was okay for a promiscious woman (or man) to be raped, only that I cannot see why they would care.

In the case of homosexual encounters, the caring would be focused on the fact that an act one does not engage in (homosexuality) is involved. As I have noted in response to others. I can see the legitimate qualm one would have.

Considering one would all ready be promiscious, I don't imagine one would really care for any of these things. Promiscious men and women all ready run the risk of all these things.

I also noted a non-violent encounter with the rape of the promiscious woman.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

First i would like to say that to me most rapists are scum, lower than dirt. I few were heavily intoxicated or drugged up I would consider them not capable of rational thought or action and if truly penitant then perhaps they deserve a small break.

My problem comes from how the charge of rape suddenly shifts our legal process. It's nothing official, mind you, but it happens. Suddenly when the accusation of rape is leveled the defendant has to prove his innocence. The prosecution gets a cake walk. This is a total reversal of the way we handle everything else in criminal law. It's just not right.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iam Banned Banned

i don't know what country you live in but in america it is extremely hard to get a conviction and it is the accuser who has to prove guilt. There is no cake walk for anyone but usually for the guilty especially for molestation or rape cases of minors because of time factor and many cases are not brought to light right away due to the fact most victim knew the rapist and were threatened, confused and guilty of bringing justice. Thats where the bulk of rape cases truly occur and most go unreported. That is sad. You have it 360 backwards.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mountainhare Banned Banned

Prince James:
    You are aware that guys tend to differ? They aren't clones?

Even a promiscious male would not want to have sex with a fat, hairy walrus of a woman.

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I've never bought that "rape isn't about sex" BS. When I see an atractive woman, I want to have sex with her in the same way I want to eat a juicy steak when I smell someone cooking one. I don't rape the attractive woman for the same reason I don't steal the steak and eat it. It would be wrong. It is illegal. But were I to steal the food or rape the woman it would be to satisfy the physical need, not for some BS psychological reason.

Everyone knows there are many weak and evil men who would gladly take that which is not theirs to satisfy their needs and desires. Placing oneself in the position where such men can take advantage is stupid. It does not excuse their actions, but it is stupid.

9. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Rape is rape, murder is murder, if someone commits these sorts of acts, they are commiting a deliberate act of aggression. If a person does not have enough self control to prevent themselves from raping people, how do you know they have enough self control to prevent themselves from killing random people out on the street?

Rape is one of those types of offenses that you can only commit if you have absolutely no empathy at all, and are extremely aggressive and violent. Most people are not this combination of traits and as a result are not capable of rape or murder, it takes a specific set of traits. So it's not just a matter of thinking about something and being able to do it, most people can have whatever fantasy they want, but when it comes ot actually raping a woman, and shes screaming and crying and begging saying no, how can anyone ignore all of this and think it's okay?

In my opinion, it's a horrible act that I'd personally never be able to commit. It does not matter if I were drugged, it does not matter if the girl asked me to role play it out, it's just not something I could be okay with, even acting.

I consider myself open minded when it comes to sexual fantasies, but there are some things that I could never do even if it were roleplaying with my wife. If a woman wants to roleplay a rape scene, the answer is always no. And thats just do to my uncomfortableness about it.

10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

What is funny is you say 360 backwards which means that I am correct.

For an example look at the Duke Lacrosse team. One woman;s accusation that she was raped was enough to get a case going where DNA proved not one of them was involved and that other dancer working the same party says that nothing like what the accuser said happened. These three men were proght up on charges on evidence so thin it didn't even exist outside the accusers words.

Another example the Judge in the Mike Tyson case did not allow the defense to bring in crucial eyewitnesses when they came forward. This has never been done to a defense case. She allowed the 911 call but forbade defense attorneys from revealing when the call was made: (3 days later). Now we learn later the 'victim' had a history of doing things like this.

Or how about the man who was convicted of raping a woman and served twelve years despite having both of his testicals. The woman had report that her rapist had one testical. Now tell me how that happened if not a sort of double standard.

Now, legally it is the burden of the state to prove and most of the ime I do not fault the legal system. What I fault is juries. It's like they hear rape and suddenly their mindset changes. Instantly burden of proof switches in their mind. It's not a concious thing. It just happens.

11. iam Banned Banned

360 is meant as a metaphor..lol switch accused/victim

The reality still is that for all the cases that go wrong as you mentioned AND as in ANY criminal FELONY CASE SUCH AS MURDER, ASSAULT ETC, THERE ARE MUCH, MUCH MORE THAT JUSTICE IS NOT SERVED FOR THE VICTIM, ESPECIALLY IN RAPE OR MOLESTATION CRIMES. COMPRENDE?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Apparently, not even that, since the district attorney prosecuting the three Duke lacrosse players has admitted that he and his assistants have not even interviewed the accuser about the facts of the case.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/27/AR2006102701633.html

13. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

I more fitting metaphor woul have been 180 assuming you are correct. As 360 is right back where you were. So you slipped a bit and put out the truth.

14. iam Banned Banned

Its you who doesn't want to acknowledge the truth it seems as you are partial to the small percentage of men who you believe are falsely accused of rape which is still rare because it is one of the most humiliating things to come forward with both male and female. Injustice happens in every type of criminal case and for you to sit on the fact that you believe men are being unfairly represented across the board in rape cases is a load of crock. lol

15. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Why is a load of crock, that I point out that in these instances that the accused is stripped of their rights. Now I am not saying it is intentional and I am not saying it is the only time such things happen, but you hear it more in rape cases. It's an emotional and social pressure. We dodn't dare question the victim's integrity becuas they have suffered enough, so the defense is hindered. The fight an up hill battle when they are supposed to be secured in the keep until prosecution tears down the castle. All too often that happens, more-so in rape cases than any other kind.

Oh and by the way I use rapist and victim becuase female rape of men is entirely possible.

16. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

It's been pointed out time and time again that rape victims can vary from 70, 80, 90-year old women to 4, 5, 6-year-old boys, and even to babies still in their prams (there was a well-publicised case of the latter in Britain not so long back). Are all these victims to blame? Or conspiring in their own downfall? Do you not see how weak and pathetic and pointless it is to advocate that women should voluntarily restrict their freedoms just because certain men can't control themselves? Common sense should tell you that the vast majority of women these days do take steps to avoid putting themselves at risk. Some of them still get raped. Does this not suggest to you that the victims aren't the problem?

17. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

This is mostly conjecture. It may have had some basis in reality before the news about false accusations really started to hit the headlines but there is no basis for thinking nowadays that rape cases are anything but balanced - or that they're judged on different criteria from any other court case. Advances in forensic science make an unjust outcome increasingly unlikely.

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Did I ever say the victims were the problem? I was responding to Bell's statement that one should be surprised if a woman walking naked thru a bad neighborhood was raped.

19. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Women should be able to walk around naked if they want to. If a man does not respect women, he does not respect women and it won't matter what she wears. If a man has no sense control and is violent, he will be violent no matter what the individual is wearing.

I dont think violence has anything to do with clothing and I know that rape has nothing to do with sex drive, it's violence and lack of empathy.

Every guy has thought about or had fantasies about having sex with that hot chick, but only a few guys actually will literally force her into it and rape her, and it takes a certain kinda person to use force to make someone do that, a very controlling person.

20. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

PJ

promiscuous women do care if they are raped, it is no different. They have been violated, possibly dragged off the street by a stranger at knife point, forced to fulfill vile acts that they do not consent to. Why do you think they would not care? Promiscuous women select their sexual partners, there is an attraction, they consent and are prepared for the act, contraception, condom, etc. Rape is no less damaging to a promiscuous woman than not, hence the yrs of therapy and counselling that follow. This is not a myth PJ it is reality.

There is also no such thing as non violent rape, if the woman is not sexually
    aroused, penetration hurts a lot, hence they can tell if a woman is raped generally by the 'damage' that occurs internally and the bruising etc. Doctors find smear testing very difficult on tense women for this very reason. If the woman is tense, the instrument which is not as wide as a cock hurts the female much. The Dr can't get it in. Fact not fiction PJ.

The act of sex requires relaxation in order to be comfortable, with a hysterical and frightened female fearing for her life (I think fearing for ones life is reason enough to care..don't you PJ?) the muscles of the viginal wall will be very tense, almost impenetrable, hence harm occurs when forced entry takes place.

I would rather be beaten PJ than raped. Thus violence towards me is preferable. Women do not deem rape lightly just because they enjoy consenting sex with multiple partners.

I understand this is hard for men to understand, afterall you have to be a woman to know what it feels like to be a woman. Men and women are not the same. I ask you though to consider rape for what it is, it is not SEX, it is a violent assault on the womans most intimate part of the body. The rest of the body may be unharmed but her vagina has been assaulted. Thus she CARES PJ.

She will also wonder if she was to blame somehow, be afraid to go outdoors for fear of recurrance, possibley becoming agrophobic. It will affect future sexual relations as the act of sex will remind her of the assault. She may never live a normal life again. Fact not fiction PJ. Women who are raped regardless of their sexual nature care. The proof is in the fact that not a single woman raped has ever said, they Do not care...ever.

21. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

iam

It is NOT nice experiencing the 'looks' that you describe, but the reality is men are like this, they will look if they can, some more than others, some very subtly so you will not notice. If you make eye contact with a guy doing this very obviously, look him in the eye and imagine takimng an axe and cutting his cock off. He'll get the message and stop looking. Power of thought is very powerful.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

That sounds like something I've heard fat, ugly women say when they don't get the looks of admiration that the pretty girls get. Jealousy is a powerful sensation, huh?

Baron Max

23. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

TheoryOfRelativity:

Again: Note I assumed a non-violent rape. Again, no knives and the like.

Moreover, they commit "vile acts" with men all the time. Why should they care with this?

I never claimed that it wasn't reality, I just cannot at all conceive of why she would care. There is nothing at stake here that I can gather.

Penetration can hurt indeed, but I hardly imagine that the pain is so extensive that it is a life-changing experience.

The fearing for one's life out of the entire thing is reasonable, yes, as the activity could progress to violence.

What about the act itself is that different from being beaten? In that one area is being focused upon instead of others?

I do not see why someone would care about one part of their body and not the other.

The same thing could happen if she was mugged or a thousand other things.

But as I noted: This is not a moral consideration. MOrally it is still wrong. I just cannot myself at all appreciate why she'd care if she screws everything that moves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.