Australia changes Prime Minister (again)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by James R, Aug 24, 2018.

1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i am not a hydrologist, so i dont know the actual math.
    what i had presumed was.
    if a 100 kilometer tunnel was dug 100 meters below ground in rock that was mostly inpermiable, it would act like a giant water tank.
    being underground it removes the issue of evapouration mostly and thus is a simple process of allowing it to fill.
    this filling process need not be measured against a short term clock. with many of them dug they can be alternated and/or have tributaries feeding them from flood prone zones moving water hundreds of kilometers to storage aquifas in ideal rock.

it seems fairly simple to me.
    solar powered lifters
    gravity powered vacuums
    etc ...
    condenser towers with internal wind turbines that make electricity as the sun evapourates the water drives the turbines and then water is condensed in the tower and thermal exchange motors pick up more power etc ...

what am i missing ?(apart from the obvious denial of resources to secure monopoly ownerhsip to own all profit by facists)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Some areas of the country have not seen rain in years.

Some areas have been in drought for close to 10 years now. And they include the flood prone areas..

Diverting tributaries will result in what we saw with the Murray River.

For something like condenser towers to work, there needs to be some level of moisture in the air. Most of Australia is quite arid and dry.

And a giant water tank is useless when there is not enough water or no water at all available to fill it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Further to Bells Comment,
    It may be worth if interested having a read about the Great Australian Artesian Basin, which is said to occupy about 1/5th of Australia. (largest in the world)
    see: https://data.gov.au/dataset/the-great-artesian-basin-australia
    and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Artesian_Basin
    The current drought effected areas basically correlate to this 65000 cu kilometer underground fresh water source. ( water temp range between 30 - 100 degrees C)

• There has been some discussion lately about serious depletion due to over boring and contamination due to fracking.
    • Given the sheer scale of the drought problem, ground water is not capable alone of solving it as we are talking about grass and other food resources for livestock over vast regions which require a minimal annual rainfall to promote.
    • Irrigation is not practical when referring to such vast areas of arid land.
    • Drought is a constant concern for this region
    ======
    I am by no means expert so I may be incorrect...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Personally I don't believe it is merely co-incidence that Abbot's federal involvement and numerous PM turn over have occurred over the same time...My bet is that Morrison will be very quickly deposed of...and for what it's worth Julia Bishop ( ex deputy leader and foreign affairs) wont return to the front bench until Abbot and Dutton are well gone....

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018