Auto-driver still need full attention

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by ElectricFetus, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Just as now!

I used the term "flawless" in the sense that a potential computer crash *halts the entire system* momentarily, stopping all traffic in the immediate area, until the proper priorities are resolved, whereas an individual human error could cause multiple cascading accidents.

Personally I would rather suffer a temporary inconveniencc when a say, out of control 10 ton truck is on an intersecting trajectory, than be confronted with the personal risk, when it appears from around the corner and I have "right of way"..

p.s.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

For those who remember, the Expo 67 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expo_67) monorail system was fully computer controlled. As it was feared that people would be hesitant to enter a railcar system that had no driver, they hired people whose sole job was to sit up front and make it look like it was being operated by a person. I rode the system daily for the three weeks I was there, and I don't recall hearing/reading of any accidents.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Don't need communicators for that - just the sort of radar systems that many cars have nowadays.
    ? He was an idiot who almost killed Walter. Stopping to make sure he was OK was admirable.
    Yes. In other words, it's just like driving manually. But if vehicle automation can reduce the total number of highway deaths - then I'm all for it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

In the case of people diving cars, an error often leads to death as well.
    A lot.

Write4U likes this.