AVG Free 2013 - SUCKS !

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Lakon, Sep 27, 2012.

1. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lakon Valued Senior Member

Since my last post almost 6 months ago on this thread, I've been using Avast without any problems (though it's advice pop ups were annoying, until I found how to cull them).

So I've had no need to concern myself with AVG - for or against. Then while visiting my add ons, tool bars, etc, I noticed there was still an 'AVG Secure Search Security Tool bar' there. Funny, I thought I had uninstalled all AVG and it's components, and deleted residue files in 'program files' - in fact, I'm sure I had. Nor could I find anything about it in add / remove programs and features. Yet there it was, and the 'remove' tab was grey so I could do nothing about it. WTF ??? So I searched the web, and was rather aghast, once again, to find ..

http://dottech.org/101609/avg-secure-search-toolbar-is-malware/

WTF ???

Still can't get rid of the stupid thing (AVG secure search toolbar) no matter what I do, and worse, I went into the other users accounts (with their permission) and discovered it had embedded itself on their accounts too, in HIDDEN FOLDERS, ie, I had to go to 'show all hidden files and folders' before I could see it.

WTF ???

Anyone know how to kill this piece of garbage ???

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Lots of luck. I vaguely recollect resorting to manually removing all lingering AVG folders in their scattered refuges, on a netbook that had once used it. Needless to say, afterwards two AVG toolbars still appeared in the addon manager of internet explorer, though they were in disabled mode. Since I stopped using IE altogether some time ago, I just forgot that former annoyance. Also seldom use that netbook for anything, too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Coco Registered Member

Irritated AVG sucker

I downloaded AVG 2013 a few days ago and since then my PC has been running like a geriatric on Prozac!..I'm in the midst of uninstalling it as I type.I should have known better than to trust a FREE upgrade & install AvG 2013, but now I've learnt my lesson to check out these things before pressing the button!! ...Just restarted my PC & all looks good now

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. river

Free is nice but it is never as good as paying for it

The old adage , you get what you pay for

And its cheap , 5$ a month not bad for most security downloads

9. mathman Valued Senior Member

If you don't like AVG (I have been using it for a while with no trouble, but I keep to the basic version), there are at least two other free anti virus programs you could try, Avast and Avira.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Go to Avast... much better than AVG anyway.

11. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I have the AVAST FREE on one of my computers. I am a NORTON FAN, however this year there is currently a special. You may see it for $39.99 but I'm pretty sure if y go to their website you can get it for half of that.

It is called Webroot. I wish I had bought the extended version for my other computers but I am paid to moderate on an International Website and would hate to be embarrassed by a virus or rootkit stealing my email account or something.

I have to admit I am VERY impressed with both WEBROOT and the FREE AVAST. NOTE: When installing free avast make sure you do not install any toolbars etc as is customary with free software.

WEBROOT is awesome. Likely as good as my Norton as it was Editors Choice of a PC magazine, and a steal at $20.
    http://www.webroot.com/En_US/sites/aff-wsc-29/?ref=cj&rc=2614

make sure you go through this PCMAG link or you will pay double. Follow this link and you could download this amazing anti virus for just $20. Go to PCMAG reviews of all software if you want the reviews.

AVAST FREE is also amazing, and had caught things my AVG had missed. It has features like a Boot up scan feature and it talks to you and tells you when it has updated itself. She sounds so pretty. :deal:

http://www.avast.com/index

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

PLEASE NOTE HOW MANY USERS SAY AVAST LIKE I HAVE INCLUDING THE ABOVE POSTER. I DREW SOME LINES TO ATTRACT ATTENTION TO THIS POST AS I FEEL THIS IS THE BEST CHOICE FOR 2013 BASED ON GEEK KNOW HOW.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I also provided the necessary links..

Make sure to uninstall AVG before (or after). click on the uninstall tab when requested.

12. mathman Valued Senior Member

The main reason I prefer AVG to Avast is that you can schedule regular scan sweeps with AVG. Avast free does not have that feature. What is good about both of them is that they check incoming e-mail (Avira free does not).

13. kwhilborn Banned Banned

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Webroot is... well, I do highly recommend it. We use it here at Geek Squad and it is ace - uses heuristics detection methods so it can catch viruses that attempt to hide via randomized startup entries / file names, able to stop most self-replicating infections and root/boot kits, etc. It uses a randomized startup entry so OS Hooks have difficulty finding and disabling it... yeah, it isn't foolproof, but no antivirus is

And it doesn't use much in terms of system resources!

15. kwhilborn Banned Banned

and if you follow my links/directions you can get it half price at $20 for the year. It was PCMags Editors Choice.
    @ Kittamaru,

I was a Geek Squad Customer once. During a short term rental accommodation in Toronto (I live North of usually) I was supposed to have wireless included but they gave me an access code too short and insisted it was correct. I paid Geek Squad to come and set the guy straight and then deducted the cost from his payment.

I am a moderator at a website 1000 times larger than Sciforums so I need a good Antiviral.

16. Mathers2013 Banned Banned

What exactly does it suck?!

17. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ Mathers,
    it allows infections in.

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Lucifer's Left Nut

Well, yeah, but still ....

Between AVG and Adobe—

Randall Munroe, xkcd, 2013

—I have become so frustrated trying to get my mother's old PC up to speed that I keep threatening to pull the media files, wipe the drive, and install Cinnamon.

Or else Ubuntu LTS; I run 12.04 on a Dell that I would otherwise not be using at all.

But, yeah. That AVG Free thing is pretty much very nearly malware in its own right.

And the Adobe updater ... I mean, by Lucifer's left nut, will it ever shut up?

19. mathman Valued Senior Member

Consumer Reports has checked them out and found them quite good. The pay ones have more features but are not that much better in catching viruses.

20. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

My thanks to the OP. It always good to get a heads up when something like this comes along.

21. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Post 48 has link to cheap Webroot purchase, or suggests AVAST as new free antiviral. (I use both) These are both best and Webroot is editors choice this year.. and for $10...

22. JanP4 Registered Member

*their*

Everyone confuses their and there most of the times.....this irritates and old secretary....sorry!!

23. JanP4 Registered Member

My "free" Avast doesn't talk to me....how do you get it to do that?