Baa Baa Rainbow sheep?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by J.B, Mar 7, 2006.

1. J.B Banned Banned

It Has been a children's favourite for hundreds of years.

But 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' has again fallen victim to the drive for political correctness.

Nursery school children are being taught to sing 'Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep' instead of the traditional rhyme.

Teachers at two centres were told to change the words to promote 'equal opportunities'.

It is not the first time the rhyme has been altered - previous substitutes for black include 'green' and 'happy' sheep.

Stuart Chamberlain, of the Oxford Sure Start Centre in Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire, said: "Basically we have taken the equal opportunities approach to everything we do.

"This is fairly standard across nurseries. We are following stringent equal opportunities rules. No-one should feel pointed out because of their race, gender or anything else."

Children at the Family Centre in nearby Abingdon are also taught the 'PC' version.

Mr Chamberlain said he could not explain why people singing or listening to the lyrics of the original version would be offended.

The origins of the famous rhyme have nothing to do with race.

Although the first publication of the nursery rhyme was in 1744, it probably dates back to the Middle Ages, possibly to the 13th Century, and relates to a tax imposed by the king on wool. One-third went to the local lord (the 'master'), one-third to the church (referred to as the 'dame') and about a third was for the farmer (the 'little boy who lives down the lane').

Yesterday the Equal Opportunities Commission and the Commission for Racial Equality refused to comment on the revised rhyme.

But the move has been condemned by campaigners as another crazy example of 'political correctness gone mad'. Nick Seaton of the Campaign for Real Education said: 'This is a traditional children's song and the reference to black sheep has nothing to do with black-skinned people.

"It's a new Stalinist approach to good manners and respect."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=379114&in_page_id=1770

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Sounds silly to me. Baa Baa black sheep has nothing to do with race.

What are your views on this, J.B?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I think it is probably a ploy for attention. they have undoubtedly got thousands of people talking about their nursery school with minimal effort. good idea if you ask me, beats paying for a TV spot.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gsys Registered Member

"Baa Baa Black Sheep" isn't the problem. The problem is "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong."

I can remember a time when I had no prejudicial tendencies. In elementary school, I gave no thought to the fact that some kids had different colored skin. That was nice.

Racism will persist as long as society continues to teach that being different is strange and undesirable.

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Since the black sheep in the rhyme is something of a hero - it can talk; it is polite; it produces copious amounts of wool, which it distributes equably - I am at a loss to see why anyone would think poorly of it. Or is it like the UK national anthem, where you have to get past the first verse to get to the nasty bits?

9. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Did they get round to banning:

Eeny meeny miny mo, catch a nigger by his toe, if he squeals let him go, eeny meeny miny mo?

This is not a nice rhyme is it?

Meanwhile back to baa baa black sheep

Black is not a racist colour there is no such thing

Black is merely a colour, banning all things containing black shows we have issues with the colour black, so rather than correcting incorrectness we are actually causing it!
    We are enforcing the view that black is wrong by banning it...and this gentlemen is most likely what is really going on here. It has zippo with correcting incorrectness and everything to do with persuading us black is wrong and shouldn't exist?

just a theory...only just occurred to me, not sure I beleive it, so don't get too excited!

Could apply this to them getting rid of black boards for same reason.
    Hence white boards, surely replacing black boards with white boards, demonstrates we think white is better so therefore enforcing the view black is inferior?

Interesting turn around ay?

10. J.B Banned Banned

It just shows the extream pity that most people have for blacks.

11. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

It actually shows that whites are sneakily upping the racist anti

In Birmingham they banned union jacks so as 'not to offend muslims' the muslims immediately reacted by saying 'bring back the flags we don't have a problem with them? Why are you saying we do?' Did they bring back the flags, knowing no offence was caused or did they leave them down to annoy the british and con them into believing muslims had issues with the flag?

12. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I take it you have race issues with black people? Is this why you posted this item? Stir up a little racial hatred? My point about the banning desiring this result being the true motive for the ban hit a nerve ay?

You know the world would be nicer, if we could accept differences, embrace them and learn to live together with tolerance and mutual respect if not in harmony.

I have been on receiving end of racism (I am white) and its not nice, i can't imagine being subjected to this daily and habitually? To be a child and singled out and to know your future will always be jarred by fact you are a minority and have to work that bit harder for everything you desire as your colour/religion/sex is going to be working against you?

Racism by the way is NOT unique to whites.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  13. Gustav Banned Banned

which reminds me of this thread

specifically........

A Short Play on "Black" and "White" Words

Some may blackly (angrily) accuse me of trying to blacken (defame) the English language, to give it a black eye (a mark of shame) by writing such black (hostile) words. They may denigrate (to cast aspersions; to darken) me by accusing me of being black hearted (malevolent), of having a black outlook (pessimistic, dismal) on life, of being a blackguard (scoundrel) -- which would certainly be a black mark (detrimental fact) against me.

Some may black-brow (scowl at) me and hope that a black cat crosses in front of me because of this black deed. I may become a black sheep (one who causes shame or embarrassment because of deviation from the accepted standards), who will be black-balled (ostracized) by being placed on a blacklist (list of undesirables) in an attempt to blackmail (to force or coerce into a particular action) me to retract my words.

But attempts to blackjack (to compel by threat) me will have a Chinaman's chance of success, for I am not a yellow-bellied Indian giver of words, who will whitewash (cover up or gloss over vices or crimes) a black lie (harmful, inexcusable). I challenge the purity and innocence (white) of the English language.

I don't see things in black and white (entirely bad or entirely good) terms, for I am a White man (marked by upright firmness) if there ever was one. However, it would be a black day when I would not "call a spade a spade," even thought some will suggest a white man calling the English language racist is like the pot calling the kettle black. While many may be niggardly (grudging, scanty) in their support, others will be honest and decent - and to them I say, that's very white of you (honest, decent.)

The preceding is of course a white lie (not intended to cause harm), meant only to illustrate some examples of racist terminology in the English language.
    Something to think about....or speak about! (Robert B. Moore)

14. Gustav Banned Banned

it is kinda cool that i quoted it cos moore is not hosting it anymore and it exists on just one other site. goes to show you that allowing quotes may sometime be a good thing. (fucking moderators)

anyways.....eyeball metallichica debunk mr moore....

"When I use the term "black eye" I am referring to the color of the bruise, not a race.

When I use the term "black sheep" I am referring to someone who is odd or not one of the crowd. Black sheep used to not be as valuable as white ones because their wool was not easily dyeable. It has nothing to do with race.

When I use the term "blackly", "blacken", "black words", "black mark", "black lie" or "blackhearted" I am referring to darkness, or evil, or something bad; the night is black, and therefore many evil things are considered black- not because it refers to a race.

When I use the term "black outlook" I am referring to storm clouds, which are dark and signify the beginning of bad or dismal weather.

When I use the term "the pot calling the kettle black" I am referring to the fact that a kettle is indeed black, while a pot is not. It doesn't refer to a race.

When I use the term "in black and white" it refers to having something in writing- the ink being black, and the paper being white. No races.

When I use the term "blackballed" it refers to the style of voting in which a white or red ball was dropped into a box to accept a candidate, while a black ball dropped into the box would exclude a candidate. It does not refer to any race.

When I use the term "whitewashing", it comes from painting fences, houses, or barns white, to cover them since the wood gets discolored as it ages. It does not refer to races.

Of course, if I use the term "black letter" I am referring to a typestyle. "Blackmail" originally came from the Gaelic word for "cherish or protect". The "Black Sea" is so named because of the coal fields nearby. "Black Russia" comes from the color of its soil. "Black diamonds" refers to coal, because coal and diamond are essentially the same, sans time and pressure. A "blacksmith" is so called because he works with black metal." (MetallichicA)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  15. J.B Banned Banned

What "differences" are you speaking of?

16. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Geeeee whizz, so black and white historically was used to differeniate good from bad, but this has nothing to do with skin colour? Heck blacks aren't even black they are various shades of brown! So the whole black words relating to black skin is just bullshit.

17. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

physical diffrences, cultural diffrences.............etc etc

18. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Its kind of like quoting bullshit isn't it? yeh well done for spreading the bullshit myth

19. J.B Banned Banned

How about the fact that night time is dark, and daytime is light?

And what about the fact that dirt is brown.

Nature is racist.

20. J.B Banned Banned

Can you name a few?

21. Gustav Banned Banned

please
    seek help

22. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Idiot

23. Gustav Banned Banned

think of it as an opportunity
    refute the "bullshit"