Baby Boy name with H

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by aaqucnaona, Nov 16, 2012.

1. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I may have missed it but what about Hercules.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Hubris
    Hansard
    Helvetica
    Hobbit
    Havelock
    Hostage
    Huxtable
    Hinterland
    Hislop
    Hafnium

I particularly Like Hobbit as a first name.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The French form is used in Europe, e.g., Agatha Christie's detective Hercule Poirot.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

So does the baby have a name yet?

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Based upon the timetable in the OP, he's probably been born already, so surely he has a name.

If not, I already mentioned Hussein. He could be named after President Obama.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

In 2008, when he was elected, Jon Stewart pointed out that Americans must not put much stock in names. We elected a man whose first name rhymes with "Iraq" (we were still busy destroying that hapless country), whose last name rhymes with "Osama" (as in "bin Laden"), and whose middle name rhymes with... no wait a minute... his middle name actually IS "Hussein"! (We had recently assassinated Saddam Hussein, Iraq's rather tyrannical leader, because our previous president had lied to us and told us that he had weapons of mass destruction AND was responsible for 9/11. By doing so we put the country's Shiite majority in charge of the government so they can now ally with Iran.)

Hussein ibn Ali (various other spellings are also common) was a grandson of Mohammed. He is regarded as a hero by Sunni and Shiite Muslims alike, so Hussein (Hassan, etc., remember that vowels are not taken seriously in the Afroasiatic language family) is one of the most common masculine names in the Middle East and other Muslim countries such as Kenya, where Obama's father (also named Barack Hussein Obama) was born.

9. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

for future use, how about taking hispanic J names and use an H instead. Hulio, for instance. Hosay, maybe.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's much more common to pronounce a foreign name, in the original spelling, as if it were English phonetics. For example, Jerzy Kosinski was pronounced "Jersey," not "Yedjee."

As for Spanish names, they've been with us for so long that most Americans can pronounce them reasonably accurately.

How would you re-spell "Jorge," Whore-hay? Looks like something you would use to stuff the mattresses in a brothel.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!