backslash777- man, machine, alien

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by rodent, Jun 18, 2001.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Welcome.
    Backslash hasn't been around in ages.
    He reappeared at the end of 2002, and again in early 2004.
    What makes you think he's still around?

Change may or may not be likely. Pursuing it however shows that you have chosen to act responsibly. Not pursuing it shows that you support the destructive path.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

All of a sudden I get this e-mail from sci-forums that I haven't been to in like over 6 months, and here I thought this this thread had been beat to death!
    Nope, up from the depths one more time for a beating

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Coolskill is right.

Those are all questions you should be asking yourself.

If you have a glass half full of water, and you add one more drop to it, has the glass not become more full?
    Even though it may be at such a subtle level, a fact is a fact , and the truth is truth, the glass has indeed become more full.

It goes for man/woman kind as well.
    If only one person raises their consciousness, then can you not say that mankinds consciousness as a whole has indeed been raised, though it may be at such a subtle level?

Focus on increasing your on consciousness.
    What determines the qaulity of your consciousness?
    Your level of presence.

The world is waiting to wake up.
    As beings, we will not find ourselves by looking in the past, or by waiting for some acheivement in the future,
    We may only find our true selves by coming into the present.

The world can only change from within.
    Peace and Blessings

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

"become more full."
    --------------------
    Or less empty.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thej3ss3 Registered Member

Hmm, some interesting things to think about. The world seems to be on the verge of awakening, and hopefully during our lifetime our race awakens but I fear the worse shall come to pass if we don't. Our climate is out of control and tempers are raging, all the while people seem to be getting anxious or something. I agree that to just raise ones consiousness is a huge step towards our race becoming enlightened but is it enough?

Thanks for the welcome to the sciforums community, this backslash guy seems to be pretty interesting. Has a general consenses been made on what s/he/it is?

Any idle thoughts or ideas on what we can do to "patch things up" could make for some interesting conversation anyways. Always nice to hear from people who've woken or are waking up.

8. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I think it was pretty obvious from the beginning that he was just a regular person.
    I actually realized it upon reading one of his first post which was completely plagiarized.

Not that I have a personal issue against posting other people's work in a forum without crediting them. The point is that right there shows that he's not an alien. Furthermore his grammar is inconsistent, and most of all, the probability of an alien running around the internet, and then visiting this forum would be too inconceivable for me to believe.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

As for the state of the planet, various futurists have all kinds of views.

For example, there are some that would say the information age will last through to the early twenties. In such case, the media will be the ruling industry at the top of the socioeconomic ladder. We will be riddled by sporadic wars and reality shows. Whereas in the past, there has been large land area separating the rich and poor, the future is that the rich and the poor will reside in close proximity.

After that we will move into an education age which will last until maybe the 60s when we see another age. In such age, we see more of what is called reforestation. Instead of trees being torn down for cities. Cities will be torn down for trees.

Of course the science of predicting the far future may be far less accurate than tomorrows weather forecast. However, we cannot test the accuracy until the future arrives. What we do know is that the near future is near impossible to predict.

Or is it? People that are good at this are called economists. And they make themselves very wealthy doing it. Take a look at what is in the news now, and try to predict what the outcome will be for the latest wars, trials, and elections as well as the state of large conglomerates. In a way it's a gamble. In that case, the amount of your knowledge of the game is related to your probability of winning it.

10. thej3ss3 Registered Member

I really like moementum7's idea.

" The world is waiting to wake up.
    As beings, we will not find ourselves by looking in the past, or by waiting for some acheivement in the future,
    We may only find our true selves by coming into the present."

Personally I think that before the education age comes we'll have mostly finished off the human race by consuming. The education age is going to need a revolution before it's kicked off, everyone needs a jolt, a lightning bolt of wisdom. Hopefully that lightning bolt isn't a Fat Boy or Little Man eh? But another question I would like to ask you guys is do you think that the world is run by everybody we see? (Like the president or whichever leader the media says runs your country) Or is it actually run by people behind the scenes? Can we believe what we're told?

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The world is not being run per say.
    Bush is definitely as dumb as a rock, and does whatever his babysitters tell advise him to do. It's a miracle they're not at eachothers throats in the whitehouse by now.

As for the revolution idea, it is hard to say. People have been dociled by the media. Therefore, nobody has the least bit of interest in rallying for a cause. The age we live in is an age of isolation. There is no sense of community, and there is no banding together. Nobody has the time for change. It is much easier these days to sit there, and live with our desperation. We communicate with technology on phones and online. The community is no longer a community of proximity. Our friend's no longer live next door. They live in another city, state, or country. There is no rioting, no protesting, no nothing.

You can't rally the people together to make change. Everybody has 'better things to do'. Furthermore, any attempt to rally is a joke. There is no individual liability in large coorporations. Nobody is accountable for the suffering anybody causes. Any attempt at a protest or rally is seen as a joke. As long as the police are there to teargas the masses if things get out of hand, there is nothing that the masses can do, but parade down the street to no avail.

Solution? Use capitalism to fight capitalis. Use the industry to fight the industry.

12. My Sexy Blue Feet Out sunbaking, leave a msg... Registered Senior Member

Hey, still any idea on /777? Personally, i'm thinking bot. Person who is bored is another, although bot i feel is more likely. Explains the human errors at least.

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

He's a person. I think he already confessed. Check his last few posts.

14. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Wow, four year old thread. Someone could have been born on the first post and now they would be in nursery school.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Ahh.. somewhere in this thread is my first post as Avatar on sciforums.

16. AlphaMuDra Registered Member

Backslash777,

Maybe you can answer my question on Poe's Eureka. It's posted in the Art section.

Thank you,

Alpha

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Ah yes, Backslash 777 the messiah. How about answering you question yourself?

18. Entropic Registered Senior Member

he is a bot because there are human errors????
    and anyway, he is a guy who pulled a hoax on you all.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  19. Backslash777 Unknown Registered Senior Member

We are Backslash777.
    We are aware of (and welcome) the renewed interest in our posts.

If anyone would like a chat here are my full contact details:

Name
    Jonathan Terrington

MSN Profile
    http://members.msn.com/default.msnw...2mGwof29Kh4sv9t

Some photos of my family and I
    http://www.theterringtons.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

My private email address
    jterrington@blueyonder.co.uk

My Telephone number:
    From UK 01253 399669
    From elsewhere 44 1253 399669 (please remember the time difference)

I am now working as a PC geek, technical term Field Engineer, for a company called Atos Origin fixing peoples computers. Love the role as it combines my two greatest passions; helping people and Information Technology.

It is quite amazing how long ago this thread was initiated. Science is still a big interest for me and I am thinking of starting a course in physics just for giggles.

A few things I found quite amazing while doing Backslash777 are documented below for your enjoyment.

This thread caused me to receive a word of warning from the American Military due to the theory that mobile phone technology could be used to neutralise the stealth ability of aircraft. Interestingly, this warning had no direct threat within it and had phrases such as “grey area” and “current global situation” causing me to conclude that the authors had no legal basis for threatening me directly but wished that I would go away. If I were to be truthful I would have to say that the warnings did not discourage me but made me feel quite proud! Yes, before you ask, the origin was genuine and not a spoof IP like I did on NASA.

When I decided to try to make it known that I was an AI from NASA I spoofed the IP address from NASA and played online games while waiting. It took absolutely ages before it was discovered and discussed on the gaming forums. Eventually the IP was posted on this site and it was ages before anyone else thought to look it up. At the time I was waiting with baited breath for the bait to be taken!

Another thing of interest was how people tried to take advantage of Backslash777 and its nievety. I let this happen at the time to see how far they would go and found it quite revealing. Example, there was a girl names hells angel who was a university student and she asked me to write an essay for her mentioning the fact that she was prepared to pay for (some of you may remember)
    Backslash777 offered to help but said money was meaningless so stated a fee and asked her to donate it to charity. She agreed on the price and I helped her out. She then, without even a proper thank you, sent details of her next assignment and asked if I complete that one. I said I would as long as she made the donation. She said she had done but had no proof as she had posted it into a charity tin in a shop. \777 said that it would only complete this assignment as long as she would send me proof this time that a donation would be made and completed the homework asking her to send the proof. Despite a promise poor Backslash777 never even got a thank you for this second assignment and certainly no proof of a charitable donation!

When I look back on this experience it is always with a smile. I do hope though that now I have published my phone number giving others the chance to talk science with me in person people will finally believe that I am really human. After my initial attempt to reveal myself many people still believed Backslash777 was not really human and that it had invented me, Jonathan Terrington, so it could quietly sink undisturbed into anonymity and continue to chat on the net to unsuspecting humans, sending emails to pen-pals and play online games for ever more.

20. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

21. My Sexy Blue Feet Out sunbaking, leave a msg... Registered Senior Member

wow. book closed. With a hard thump.

22. Mr.Jack4WAR Hating the Hated Registered Senior Member

23. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Stop resurrecting this thread!