baldness topic thread

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by R1D2, Nov 4, 2016.

1. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Seems im losing some hair off the top near the front.
    Im in my 30s dang it! My immediate family members of say 6 males all have hair, the female's all have good hair. But my Great, Great Aunts one son has lost some. So it has to come from that line somewhere.
    I guess some medicine may have triggered the bald gene to activate.
    So anyone have information about balding? percentage? When it starts or if it stops? Medicine that effects it? Testosterone levels have some say so does that naturally drop over time? Is testosterone levels a Major role or something else? What do you know?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

My hair thinned at 18.

I thought I would be bald at 21.

I am now 70 and still have my hair and it is black.

When 19 someone told me to imagine what I wanted to look like not what I feared ( totally bald) and I did..each day I imagined myself with nice black hair...strangely today I look the way I imagined.

My beard is white but I never imagined myself with a beard.

Even these days when I look in the mirror I say..your hair is getting blacker.

Does it work heck it seems crazy but I still have my long black hair.

Alex

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Anyways these days you can shave your head and that is considered cool.
    Moreover being preoccupied with a single aspect of your appearance is just so wrong.
    Vanity and pride destroy your happiness and if you feel someone judges you by appearance are you so shallow that you value their opinion.

Don't think bald...

Alex

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I dont think I'm being preoccupied with this one thingn I just, well want to learn more. Hear discussions the why's.
    I whal my head with no guard and wait about 2-3 weeks.
    Guess im a little stunned seeing family still have theres. Its like im a Striped Sheep in the flock of regulars. And I see the changes, my wife has as well.
    I wont use Rogaine. I always felt as one ages they should try so naturally. But its good to be better informed imo

8. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

KBZ 10 Troy (a Boy Scout from the future) told us Boy Scouts that "in the future, we are all bald - nobody has any hair - men, women and kids are all bald" in a early 1960's Boys Life magazine story. So I expected that, in the future, everyone would be bald and just sort - of prepared for that eventuality. When the year 2000 rolled around, I figured that the future had arrived so I began shaving my head. I was balding anyways. At first there were few other guys who shaved their heads, nowadays it is very common.

9. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Think Chrome Dome.

Seriously: Whenever I travel/fly I see many bald(ing?) fellows wearing hats on the plane. Talk about "obvious".
    Both of my brothers are rather bald, and one always wears a hat. Curious that. Both started with "male pattern baldness" first a five head instead of a forehead, then up the sides of the top, then over the top, then down the sides.
    meanwhile, I have an enlarging tonsure, thinner hair on top, and the rest rather long.
    When in high school, our bald and tall dean of men opined that I would be the first of my brothers to lose my hair because I had the skinniest/narrowest hair.................... that ain't the only thing he was wrong about, but give him his due, he was right about much more.

As I turn grey, I notice that the hair on the brush is much greyer than the hair left on my head. It seems that the grey hairs are more prone to breaking off while brushing.

As I'm aging, my hair is the least of my concerns, the aches and pains, paunch, partial deafness, and occasional irregularity are much more of a concern.

2 choices, die young or grow old and suffer. I chose the latter.

10. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I was planning to die at a tragically early age but it's getting too late for that now.

(I look like a cross between Ben Franklin and Santa Claus - and I wear a hat.)

11. sculptor Valued Senior Member

R1D2 likes this.
  12. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Stoni?
    I am surprised to see your still here. Mr Michigan, you still up there? It sure has been a While, I recall that you said you appear similar to your avatar in baldness. Good to hear from you.

And sideshow Bob ! I recall you was around before. I don't know why but I figured you had a wild hair style like Bob, I stand corrected. Good to hear from you too.

13. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

My hair started thinning in my 30's. When it got to a certain point ( not yet bald, but thin enough that it was more of a nuisance than anything else), I just started shaving the top of my head. I never could understand those guys you see that are bald with just that little tuft of hair in front. If it were me, I'd shave it off.

R1D2 likes this.
  14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Wishful thinking.

15. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Good to see you as well, R1. Yeah, still rocking on the the Big D, still blowing by here often.

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

It's a gradual thing but not the same for everyone. In my case the thinning at the crown started in the late 30's. It was most noticeable in a way in the early 40's as I had dark hair and the contrast was greatest then.

I now have grey hair and the contrast is less even though I have much less hair now. I'm not a "shave it bald" kind of guy I guess but I have tried a number 1 crew cut. In my case I don't see it was a better look.

A number 2 or 3 crew cut is OK and sometimes I just let it grow a little more than that. Like most people, I have plenty of hair all around the sides. I have hair in front and it's thin to bald on the rest of the top.

Plenty of guys look like that so sometimes you just have to be another one of them.

I'm found that you looking better in pictures if you have a little more hair in front. If you let things get too long then you just look like a guy who is fooling himself only.

I've settled for a little longer than crew cut in front but not too long and about a number 3 everywhere else. In the summer I go down to a number 2 overall sometimes.

In your case, I'd say when it's to the point where you are thinking about it too much at least try a much shorter style. You won't think about it so much and things blend in much better when your hair is shorter and people will just see you as embracing the hair loss rather than going for a comb over.

17. sculptor Valued Senior Member

<---------has long hair
    with tonsure

The tonsure has been expanding fitfully for 20 years. It's about 2.5 inch diameter now. This monkish life seems an odd thing, and the tonsure is well fitted.

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I've always worn hats, and cut my hair very short since the motorcycle years (the ponytail length proved dysfunctional, but I needed something I could cut myself). When I started losing hair (going bald like my maternal uncles, pretty obviously) all of a sudden this became a strategy - sent a social message of insecure vanity. Always something.
    "Eight Head" is a Minnesota Twin Cities band named by a player's niece, for their hairlines. They are skilled, jazz rooted, not as off-puttingly smuggish live as in video.

19. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm not a hat guy and I agree that the first thing you think of when you get a guy wearing a hat is that he must be bald or balding but I do get that there are other reasons.

The guy may just like hats or he may be bald but wearing a hat to either stay warm or to avoid the sun.

20. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I read somewhere that a male inherits much from his grandfather on his mother's side of the family. I don't know that is true, but I look just like my grandpa. He was bald in his old age, and I'm slowly losing my hair. If I make it to 60, we will be clones. I don't worry about losing my hair. By the time I need wax, I will be too old to care. I had a friend who lost his hair in his early 20's. It was pretty devastating for him. If you get 40, 50, 60 years with hair, consider yourself a success.

21. deepslate Registered Member

There can be many cause but I can't suggest any fast treatment but rather go to Bosley. They got a lot of branches all around the US.