Ban craterchains (Norval

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by SkinWalker, Aug 2, 2004.

?

Ban craterchains (Norval

Poll closed Aug 8, 2004.
  1. Ban craterchains (Norval

39.1%
  2. Do NOT ban cratershains (Norval

60.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Norval has:
    • consistently referred to sciforums as "scifoolems," insulting the members and the board in general.
    • consistently made ad hominem remarks to other members who question/criticize his claims, often sparking "flame wars"
    • he has consistently insulted and provoked the moderator of the Pseudoscience forum
    • he has intentionally created threads as bait to get them closed or to invite criticism that he can respond to with ad hominem remarks, insults, and to give him further reason to say, "scifoolems."

Norval has not:
    • demonstrated respect for moderators, porfiry, or the general sciforums membership
    • engaged in meaningful discussion with anyone that is in disagreement with him
    • shown any indication that his behavior is temporary
    • shown any indication that his continued participation will benefit the community.

Overall, however, its the "scifoolems" thing and the insults to the moderator of the forum (StryderUnknown) that are tiresome.

This thread/poll probably won't result in Norval's bannishment, but it will at least let him know what others think of his behavior. The predictable results are that the ones that others refer to as "kooks" will rally around him and vote not to ban.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Arditezza Banned Banned

It helps when supporting ones argument to link to posts that have good examples in them. I, for one, will probably not search the forum for his posts if I have never had a problem with him. (He may not post in the forums I read, and I have never seen him exhibit the behavior you are describing.) If you care enough about getting him banned, you may want to put forth the effort the rest of us lazy peeps won't. It'll help.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Arch_Rival Registered Senior Member

8. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Seems actually to be respecting the moderator in your posted thread Arch_Rival.

Seems to be able to counsel fellow forum members on anger problems.

Dose not seem to any longer have any respect for netiquette.. :bugeye:

Exhibits racial prejudice.

Exhibits deplorable tolerance of dissenting views.

Is able to characterize fellow debaters in negative manner.

Ad hominem remarks are a trademark in all posts addressing disagreement.

This statement actually implies that BHS actually did read the said article...

Aside from an obsession with cows... we note that the said individual has a fanatic belief in good extraterrestrial life (GETs) and bad extraterrestrial life (BETs). Need we comment more on his intelligence?

9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Pseudoscience would be kinda empty without him. Wouldn't it? I mean now that crazymikey is gone, who'd be left? FieryIce? Any other pseudo posters? To be honest I rarely step in so don't know for sure. But, I say there's no reason to ban him. As long as he keeps his pseudo stuff in the pseudo section we should all be cool.

edit: Heh, I'm the only one thats voted to let him stay?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Coldhearted bastards. All of ya! Bah. It won't get very far anyway, I imagine. Hell, even Proud Muslim couldn't be banned.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I voted against not banning him now too.

I didn't even know in which forum he posted because I can't remember ever seeing him. But if it is in pseudoscience who cares?

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

I've voted not to ban, for various reasons.

Yeah, Norval posts unsupported rubbish, is arrogant, ignorant and disrespectful. He rehashes old arguments without adding new 'proof', and yes this is tiresome.

BUT, he is the perfect example of a flawed pseudo scientist. He makes pseudo science look like the voodoo it is. So, I think he can stay, post his rubbish, and let people know just how crazy some people out there are.

We can easily deal with his crackpot theories, they aren't hard to put down. OK, so it is effort to debunk his lunacy, but all of that work has been done, and let's face it, Norval isn't ever going to come up with any _new_ ideas is he?

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have Norval in my ignore list from times forgotten
    but all those who say that it doesn't matter if it's Pseudoscience...
    Pseudosci is still sci. Sure, it has more extreme theories and all, but it's not rubbish, they are still scientific theories, though not as legetime.
    What Norval and the like has done, is degenerated the whole idea of pseudosci and made it in a trashyard for their ill fantasies

evolution was a pseudosci, so was flight of heavier than air craft, etc.
    but what is now happening is the same as if beside a not so proven theory (evolution 120 years ago) there is put an assumption based on nothing but fantasy and a few holes in the ground.

13. Arditezza Banned Banned

Actually, I think he was referring to the fact that the Mexican Department of Depfense will admit when they feel they've encountered UFO's and NASA will not. It wasn't rasist.

Er... I know Ad Hominem's... and that one looks pretty tame considering Sciforums usual zingers.

Speaking of Ad Hominems. heh.

14. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Actually, I've no illusion that Norval will get banned. In fact, I'd be surprised if the votes were very heavy against him when its all said and done. I've spoken out to moderators in the past about the validity of SF Open Gov. as a self-governing tool for sciforums members (I think it should be archived and locked as a forum) and have spoken out against "ban threads" in general.

But my purpose isn't to actually ban Norval. Rather, I'd like it to be archived in one thread the views and opinions of those that have dealt with Norval and his wild speculation in the past and for those that will undoubtedly search for his name in the future.

What I'm doing then, is taking advantage of the fact that Google archives sciforums and that discussions become permanent Internet record.

At some point, perhaps 2 or 4 years from now, someone in another forum will encounter Norval & Gale's craterchains theory and decide to do a search for their names. They will find, along with the several threads on the topic in sciforums, this concise digest of an objection. Replete with the links provided above.

Let me point to this link with more details about Norval: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=580806&#post580806

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  15. Arch_Rival Registered Senior Member

I see the most cited reason for letting Norval stay is to show the world the perfect example of a fruitcake pseudoscientist.

Hahaa.......For your own sake, Norval, i hope you get banned.

But guys, consider for a moment. pseudoscience is being degenerated into a dump because of him. That will be the price users of this forum will pay if we decide to let him stay.

16. Rick Valued Senior Member

Let Stryder Answer this.I would still assume that it is a believer that we are talking to in Craterchains.

bye!

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

the vote is 6 to 0, craterchains (Norval is doomed! I wonder who this cratershains (Norval guy is cause people must love him

18. FieryIce Tic Toc, World in Cobalt Blue Registered Senior Member

You have not stated the one and only good reason for banning Norval, that he has demonstrated what variety of posters most of you are, like arch-rival, overcookedfetus, skinwalker, persol, blackholeson, the list goes on. Which would be information control and acquisition.

Even the Martian Blueberries as coined by the principal investigator for MER as blueberries, the scientists have stated that some form of thermal action was the cause of those blueberries. What are all you posters afraid of? Afraid of some real facts for a change instead of fairy tales? Afraid people will actually understand some real facts? Does the magnitude of destruction in our solar system threaten your cozy way of life? Or is it just the magnitude is beyond your comprehension? Does thinking about the magnitude of destruction in our solar system cause your mind to curl up into some comfortable place?

You have also failed to state that if Norval is banned you have no one else left to harass.

You have run off anyone that shows the slightest semblance of intelligence.

19. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

(I cannot resist) Tell me, are you an idiot?

20. Arch_Rival Registered Senior Member

Hahaa.....FieryIce, your post just confirms all that is said here about Norval.

BTW, in case anyone here is new to this, FieryIce is with Norval. They came up with the craterchains theory.

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

FieryIce and craterchains (Norval came here from their site about craterchains in a joint kook attack, they are not the same person (unless he is using two diffrent Ip address at the same time.)

22. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

When I do go into psuedoscience, he is very annoying to say the least...

It gets annoying whne someone has lack of respect, even online. He doesn't have the best 'discussion' skills.

23. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Several good points about pseudoscience made in here. That it might be something worthwhile instead of the piece of crap it is now. But, I doubt it. It seems to me that the forum was made as a catchall for crap of just the type that Craterchains espouses. The other forums are open enough that even if something isn't utterly scientific, as long as it's not a fantastic piece of crap, that it can still be discussed. Maybe it would change without random whackos talking about alien wars as if they were real and information control as if that were the purpose of these forums. And what's even funnier about that statement in particular... "Which would be information control and acquisition." Heh. So, if it's about acquisition of this precious, precious knowledge, then why the hell are you here sharing it? Hmm? Makes no sense. You contradict yourself with this statement.

But, anyway, didn't mean to digress to an attack on our local pseudoscientists, so I'll stop.

I do wonder what pseudoscience might be like though. If only there were no alien war tactics. No martian statues visualized in obviously ordinary stone. Hmm. Provocative. I imagine that there would be very little action in there, myself. It's a home specifically constructed for the purpose which it is presently being used. I think. It was created before I got here, so I could very well be wrong about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.