Ban List

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by cn1986, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I've just googled China on Google news.
    Here is the first page of results.
    Most of the results are about the Chinese economy.
    A couple are about Chinese sport, including cricket in China.
    One is about Cyberespionage.
    One is about the Chinese Nobel Laureate.
    One is about religious freedom in China.

I don't see any articles calling China a hell.
    If you are a dissident or part of a minority then the authorities might make your individual life a hell,
    but no-one believes that the whole population lives in misery.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Bulls return as China and eurozone worries fade
    Moneycontrol.com - ‎1 hour ago‎
    Traders appear to have called "time" on China monetary strategy concerns and eurozone debt worries, as the sharp falls of the past week attract funds to ...
    FTSE down as Ireland, China weigh on sentiment Reuters Africa
    all 261 news articles »
    Email this story
    Yen Rallies Amid Concern China Will Raise Borrowing Costs to Cool Growth
    Bloomberg - Yoshiaki Nohara, Ron Harui - ‎3 hours ago‎
    The yen strengthened for the first time in three days against the euro on speculation China ...
    Ireland Crisis May Give China Break It Seeks: Simon Johnson
    Bloomberg - Simon Johnson - ‎8 hours ago‎
    As an alternative, Europe could place a call to Beijing to find out if China would like to commit some of its $2.6 trillion in reserves to keep European ...
    Video: Ireland's Lenihan Declines to Discuss Bailout EUX.TV
    GLOBAL MARKETS-China rate jitter, Ireland debt woes hit stocks Reuters Africa
    Asia shares down amid Irish debt, China jitters The Associated Press
    all 7,822 news articles »
    Email this story

Telegraph.co.uk
    Sir Philip Green has designs on Topshop in China
    Financial Times (blog) - ‎5 hours ago‎
    Sir Philip Green is preparing for his next international foray: taking Topshop to China, as conditions are poised to grow more challenging in the retail ...
    Green has designs on Topshop in China Financial Times
    all 49 news articles »
    Email this story

Houston Chronicle
    China takes new step to rein in lending, inflation
    Houston Chronicle - ‎15 minutes ago‎
    (AP Photo/Alexander F. Yuan) BEIJING — China ordered its banks Friday to hold back more money as reserves in a new move to curb lending and rising ...
    What Inflation In China Feels Like Forbes (blog)
    China's price control policy benefits consumers, growers Xinhua
    Summary Box: China faces inflation challenge Bloomberg
    Reuters UK - The Economist
    all 1,269 news articles »
    Email this story

Financial Feed
    China Rongsheng shares edge down after $1.8 bln IPO
    Reuters - Denny Thomas, Ken Wills - ‎41 minutes ago‎
    HONG KONG Nov 19 (Reuters) - China Rongsheng Heavy Industries Group Holdings Ltd 1101.HK edged down on its trading debut on Friday after raising $1.8 ...
    Asia shares mixed amid China rate hike jitters Economic Times
    World Shares Mixed Amid China Rate Hike Jitters ABC News
    Hong Kong shares drop amid China rate-hike worries MarketWatch
    Business Times (subscription)
    all 766 news articles »
    PINK:AIRYY - LON:AIRC - SHA:601111 Email this story

Globe and Mail
    A run or a point? China coaches media on cricket
    AFP - ‎3 hours ago‎
    GUANGZHOU, China — Chinese Cricket Association secretary general Liu Rongyao has pledged to step up coaching in the game -- for both players and ...
    China target Olympic swimming gold rush Times of India
    Korean Baseballers Defeat China to Head for the Gold The Chosun Ilbo
    Best from November 17 Globe and Mail
    USA Today - SI.com
    all 1,212 news articles »
    Email this story

Telegraph.co.uk
    China's 'hijacking' of US data flow stokes fear of cyberespionage
    Globe and Mail - Caroline Alphonso - ‎1 hour ago‎
    A US congressional advisory group has found that China Telecom managed to reroute traffic from major US government and military websites, as well as a few ...
    China Telecom denies 'hijacking' of 15 percent of world Internet traffic Sify
    China internet hijack: Hackers gained brief access to top government security ... Daily Mail
    Q+A-What happens when 15 pct of the Web goes through China? Reuters
    NPR
    all 510 news articles »
    HKG:0728 Email this story

CTV.ca
    China urged to release Nobel Prize laureate
    Korea Times - Maran Turner, Yang Jianli - ‎2 hours ago‎
    This blueprint for reform envisions a democratic China, a hopeful China; where the judiciary is independent, fundamental human rights are protected, ...
    Video: Nobel Peace Prize May Not Be Given Out This Year The Associated Press
    China Leans on Countries to Boycott Nobel Peace Prize The Chosun Ilbo
    China Accused Of Nobel Ceremony 'Sabotage' Sky News
    AFP - Wall Street Journal
    all 762 news articles »
    Email this story

Washington Post
    Cardinals talk religious freedom amid China flap
    Washington Post - ‎1 hour ago‎
    AP VATICAN CITY -- The world's cardinals are meeting at the Vatican to discuss religious freedom and other issues amid a new dispute with China over an ...
    Video: Benedict XVI receives the Anglican primate Rowan Williams at the Vatican Rome Reports TV News Agency
    China's Catholic church says will ordain bishop Fox News
    Vatican, China on collision course again Times of India
    BBC News - Washington Post

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinwheel Banned Banned

I never realised how horrible China was until I visited sciforums.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

There is nothing to worry about citizen 2553-ef40-12ad-09ab, it's purely a protocol thing [....dispatch, subject 2553-ef40-12ad-09ab is resisting operation protocols, send the guys with nets to detain him...]

On a more serious note, it's not so much to tar you a criminal, it's encase you "become" one, after all if they can match data to you from a crime scene prior to you leaving the country, they are going to know where you came from and what potential route of escaping you might use.

(You could probably see this as an FBI crackdown on organised crime rings more than a civil liberty assault.)

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

The British Police are hot on internet crime.
    If I were to suggest shooting Prince Pongo on his visit to Britain next week, Sergeant Donut from my local constabulary might very well take the effort to heft himself off his chair, and arrange an early morning visit to my house, accompanied by dog and battering ram.

It happens all the time in the UK.
    Other wheezes are:
    Iinvestigating affrays that occur on reality shows.
    Reading of crimes in newspapers, and then going to investigate them.

If you think I am joking, I'm not.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Actually the best one is:
    What exactly do we pay them for?
    It's certainly not to look pretty (although some of the girls in uniforms..... n/m )

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Anything which is supported by computer, photographic, or video evidence is pounced on immediately, because it is difficult or impossible to disprove.
    In a target driven society, that is Gold Dust.
    Possibly, someone from China could be less aware of how police can sit at their computers and find something criminal in what a person is saying on-line.
    We see what happens in our press.
    But it happens in "non-free countries" too, so be careful.

cn1986 I don't know whether you wish to make many more posts on this site, but my advice, for what it's worth,
    is for you to steer clear of political comments. Stick with science, home stuff etc.
    I avoided the political section of the site myself for a long time, because it is difficult to understand what people mean from other cultures.
    It must be much harder for someone who doesn't understand the language fluently
    You have a lot to learn. Just observe for a while.
    Take your time.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  10. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Yes, of course. I realise that is the intension. But it’s a fundamental pillar of the legal system (where I’m from, at least) that you cannot collect physical evidence from someone unless there is evidence of them committing a crime. The police cannot fingerprint anyone in case the might commit a crime.

There’s a very good reason for this: people make mistakes. And when people make mistakes (it’s a matter of when, not if), having physical evidence against someone can be used to falsely persecute them. Always keep in mind that innocent people have been convicted and executed in the USA.

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

That might well have been true in the past however there is many changes, one is obviously the Capital Punishment laws being questioned the other is that new technologies make it possible to find out if a person is truly guilty of the crime without shadow of a doubt. (I mean methods that go beyond the old "lie detector tests")

Obviously there will be various concerns people will have about the techniques, like how it effects a persons Civil or Human rights. However if someone is likely to be dealt with by Capital Punishment then it should be a lifeline if they truly are innocent (or an extra knot in the rope if they aren't)

12. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Oh dear, I hope you’re not referring to DNA techniques. If you think they are foolproof, you’re dead wrong. There is plenty of scope for handling errors to produce incorrect results, especially as the techniques become more and more sensitive. Recently here in Australia a young man was just released from almost two years in jail after having been falsely convicted of rape on the basis of DNA evidence. It turns out there was sample cross-contamination.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm actually quite surprised and refreshed to see that this site isn't blocked by the great firewall of China for "subversive content".

14. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Well, cn1986 hasn't posted in 4 days....Who knows, he could be in a work camp with other "enemies of the state".:shrug:

15. M00se1989 Banned Banned

So... what happened to Green Destiny?

16. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Perma banned as a sock puppet of a banned user.

You seem to be headed in the same direction.

17. M00se1989 Banned Banned

LOL. lets just remember the evil you know is better than the evil you don't. at any case, what happened while I was gone. I'm out for thirty days and it seems like the whole place goes to hell.

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Liar.
    You also got your sock puppet banned.

19. M00se1989 Banned Banned

Just because another person can screw with you mind just as well as I can does not mean it was me old friend. Don't hate the player hate the game.

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Several errors there: no one "screwed with my mind" (least of all you), it was your sock and we're not friends.

21. M00se1989 Banned Banned

Really and truly man. The only reason you dislike me is that we are both good with words. We both know this. Let us not hold a grudge, as I certainly don't. :cheers:

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Please don't tell lies. Your sock puppet was banned.

Our general policy is that when somebody creates a sock puppet to evade a temporary ban, ALL their accounts are immediately and permanently banned. This time you have got off lightly, but only because of the goodwill of the administration. We assumed that you might not be aware of the policy.

Please be under no illusions that if you are banned again it will be permanent. You are at the end of the ban cycle, currently. Also, be aware that you have been very lucky in slipping through the cracks with a sock puppet for a while this time. This is exceedingly unusual. Better people than you have tried and failed to come back with sock puppets after permanent bans.

23. M00se1989 Banned Banned

To be honest I only did it for my name. That was the purpose of the cherade. Even more honestly it is not hard for me to reinvent any of the behaviors that would allow me to not be caught. I learned well from the experience I have had in life, but do not think I am not appreciative of the current situation. Soooo.... what happens if I throw my name into the hat for psychology moderator?LOL. Or we can open a new one called metaphysics... That way you will never see me in the physics forum...LOL JK.