Ban Whirlwind?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Rappaccini, Apr 11, 2004.

?

Should Whirlwind be banned?

Poll closed May 11, 2004.
  1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    49.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

fighting with the moderators on the issue of what they said to him makes him a flammer too.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

CC, you are showing your colors. Dean is too genuine to make it as a serious contender for president. Only the most adept phonies have a chance at the white house. Politics is the art of misleading. Oh well.

Rappaccini, I fail to see how the examples you have posted prove your claims. I don't see Whirlwind as trying to take over anything or anybody nor fill threads with repeated inconsequentials. Maybe you consider that if you make a link to something, that makes it real?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Trolls do not "take over". They goad/bait. The thread I cited is a perfect example.

Spam is useless posting. We all do it occasionally, but Whirlwind is excessive. The posts he made on page 2 of that thread are blatant spam, vapid and silly.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. I guess if he is continually plagiarizing then he has to be banned although I think that there should be temporary banns as a warning if that is not too much trouble. I dislike whirlwind intensely but he represents an entirely different viewpoint which is what the forums are all about.

8. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

about temporary banning as a sign of warning: if you're banned temporarily, you can just go find another forum. Is it that big a deal if you're banned? I mean, it's not nice... but if you have a life then I'm sure you can get over it.

9. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Bob might be annoying, but I don't know about banning him at this point. It seems so pointless. He'll figure out a way to come back. They always do.

He's amusing in that he's not that smart so he's an easy target. Sometimes after a long day of going after Wahoo, Yellowfin and Mahi Mahi, it can be very relaxing to just put on a bobber and let the bluegills come to the worm. It's a guaranteed bite, and they fight pretty hard relative to their diminutive nature.

Is that wrong of me to toy with the little ones? The little people need attention too, right? To ignore them all of the time would be misanthropic, right?

Bob's like Truthseeker in that you don't feel bad in kicking his ass because he begs you so hard to kick it you'd be a jerk not to oblige him. I've never been a masochist so I don't really understand them, but meh...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I guess they feel that they fulfill some role in society.

10. GuessWho A Californian Registered Senior Member

I think Whirlwind contributes a lot to this forum as a comic relief. I voted no so that he can continue giving us laugh breaks.

By the way, I know that he is a "he" because he claimed to be a jet fighter pilot. Oops, is it not true that women have been allowed to fly jets? If it is true then forgive me for being a sexist (or should I say humbly "sexiest"?).

11. GuessWho A Californian Registered Senior Member

I just checked the voting results for this poll. It is 25 yes and 26 no (it would have been 25/25 if I did not already voted). This is so close! As a Florida Flashback, I demand a recount and a full investigation of voting fraud!

But seriously, this is an interesting poll. I do not recall if there ever was an instant that I agree with Whirlwind about anything but he should have the right to speak.

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

guess what. 26/26

13. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

happy to break the tie

14. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

This isn't about a right to speak.

It's about repeatedly breaking the rules and mocking the administration when it warns against it.

15. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Rappa, you forget that certain people aren't going to read this thread. The ones voting yes have probably read the thread, and know the situation. The ones voting no, like paulsamuel, come out of no where and assume that they know the situation.

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

paulsamuel,

You voted no? why??? Did you not read the evidence presented???

17. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

he's no worse than others here, and he's entitled to his freedom of speech. even Xev, who's supposed to be a moderator, is as bad as him. at least with whirlwind, you can ignore him. Xev is imposed on us.

18. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Xev does not break any of the explicit rules concerning plagiarism and full-document posting without commentary.
    Xev does not disregard the warnings of moderators or describe those moderators derisively and mendaciously.

I'd have to say that the situation is quite different here, paulsamuel.

"Freedom of speech" is totally irrelevant here.
    "Freedom of speech" does not allow for crimes like plagiarim or other misdeeds like cut'n paste posting and harassment of the administration.

You didn't even read the thread before you voted and posted, huh?

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Again it not a matter of what he said but what he did: he broke the forums rules, at least 18 times!

Also no, on the internet there is no law saying everyone is entitled to free speech, especially on a forum. A lot of our members got to stop confusing this forum for a free country!

Lets review this again because you obviously did not read it:

20. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

I say make Whirlwind a moderator .

21. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

You lack sanity, Brian.

22. Silverback Registered Senior Member

I hate, hate, hate bannings. Plus I am relatively new here and don't really feel I have the right to impose such decisions. However, since only Porf can actually ban, I see this as an opinion poll only.

Plagiarism is illegal and endangers the very existance of Sciforums. If a violator does not stop after being warned, out they should go, for the safety of all others, Porf, and the board itself. If the person is left, right, middle, gay, Moslem, Jew, Xian, athiest... does not matter.

Violations? Warned? Continued? Banned.

*ching ching* (my two cents)

23. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Motion passed. Whirlwind is banned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.