Bannon for NSC? Seriously?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by exchemist, Jan 29, 2017.

1. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Blimey!! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38787241

So this character who, though resembling a sort of alcoholic tramp in appearance, seems to be more or less The Chump's Goebbels figure, is now projected into a position of serious influence over foreign policy and national security!

I find this about the most sinister development to date. I hope I am worrying too much.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I too find it very disturbing. Trump continues to insulate himself within a tight little bubble. That's never a good thing for any president, much less one which is already tenuously connected to reality: whose knowledge and reasoning skills are already seriously impaired.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yeah exactly. Alternative facts. Mind you I suppose it could work the other way round: that Bannon will find his alternative facts do not fit the reality brought home to him by the military. Let's hope so.

I find it ironic that about the sanest person in the Chump team is "Mad Dog" Mattis.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Mad Dog has his hands full, there is no doubt about it. For the most part, Trump has surrounded himself with a bunch of spineless sycophants, e.g. Reince Priebus, and that's doubly scary.

8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes he sounds - contrary to his nickname - like a sensible bloke. I wish him good luck and fortitude.

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I hope and pray that after seeing the worst in America, the world will see the best in America. And today my fellow Americans are making me proud. They are standing up and protesting. They are standing with our Islamic brothers. Even a few Republican senators are breaking with the Republican Party, and you just don't see that in the Republican Party of the last few decades. But we are seeing it today, and I'm encouraged.

Now Trump will never admit mistakes. His ego will never permit it. So where Trump goes from here remains to be seen. At this point, the White House is denying there is even a problem. It's another case of Trump's "alternative facts".

Not a single Syrian, much less a refugee, has participated in any terrorist attack against America. Not one terrorist has immigrated to the US to engage in a terrorist attack from any of the countries Trump has banned from entry.

Ironically, the countries from which terrorist have migrated to the US to conduct terrorist operations are not affected by Trump's executive order. Perhaps because Trump receives royalty payments from those countries for the use of his name on hotels in those countries. Trump has a financial interest in not restricting travel from those nations.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

A test of sensibility: When we invade Iran, will Trump short the troops like George W. Bush did when we invaded Iraq?

We'll see what advice Mattis gives the president about how to invade Iran. Oh, wait, no, we probably won't. We'll just have to guess as the forces assemble and then the war begins.

But, yes, there is your test of sensibility: Will it be a competent war, or will President Trump send our troops out to lose just like President Bush did in Afghanistan and Iraq?

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I agree and I do not doubt that Trump will, eventually, be brought to heel by the US separation of powers and the good sense that still prevails in most branches of the institutions. It is just a matter of time and the damage he does meanwhile.

But he and his team are increasingly looking like jerks, which is good.

12. exchemist Valued Senior Member

We may never know what advice he really gave, if that happens. My guess would be something along the lines of "I wouldn't do that if I were you". But he will be a loyal soldier and won't tell us.

Attacking Iran would cretinous. It poses no threat to the West. In my opinion a sensible policy would be to build bridges with this major industrial nation and distance ourselves from the mediaeval Bedouin that run Saudi Arabia.

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(this post has no title | these jokes have no clue)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Incongruity: You know, don't bother clicking. The content warning isn't worth it.

I don't disagree, it's just that I'm expecting a marquee feature: Donny Smalls and the Lightning Thief.

The international release, though, will simply be called A Russian Puppet in Iran.

Remembering that President Trump is a #PutiPoodle, I wonder if Russia's regional influence is the larger goal of the apparent subversion; mucking up China's day and wrecking Iran are two things Trump can do that only Russia will benefit from, and that in the form of international prestige vis à vis regional stability, European energy, Turkey as NATO, economic and military security from Indonesia to the Saud and into Africa.

More than any true Brownshirt Brigade, Trump's great infamy might well come as the poodle who pooched up for Puti-Toots.

And his sixty million supporters? This is #WhatTheyVotedFor.

14. Seattle Valued Senior Member

For some reason my gut feeling is that Trump isn't going to be using the military. I hope that's the case and I could well be wrong of course.

As mentioned elsewhere, his worst trait is not dealing with reality and his use of "alternative" facts. I think when he experiences negative feedback, protests, etc. his first actions will be to "double down" or as they say "dig the hole he is standing in deeper".

I too, would like to see some Republicans have to break ranks and side with the Democrats. Our politics are off the rail at the moment though. The Democrats could lose seats at the mid-term elections.

I think pretty soon however Republicans are going to wish for a dream candidate like Obama rather than what they have on their hands.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

joepistole likes this.
  15. Oystein Registered Senior Member

I'm really looking back fondly at the crew that G.W. Bush put together in his administration. All those lunatics: Cheney, Rumsfeldt, Kove, Ashcroft, etc. seem downright sensible compared to the Chump's crew.

joepistole likes this.
  16. Oystein Registered Senior Member

joepistole likes this.
  17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I am becoming increasingly certain that peaceful protest will not fix this situation... and that scares me more than anything.

If California, et al, do seceed and form Pacifica, I know where I'm moving to at first opportunity...

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Then why is he promising to "restore" the military. There's no need for that unless you are going to use it. Unless it's his form of welfare.

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well I'm not as pessimistic as you are, but if it gets to that point, I'm headed to coast too.

20. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Reagan "restored" the military but didn't really use it unless you count Granada or bombing Qaddafi's house.

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

This whole Pax Americana thingy which has been the foundation of post WW II peace is rooted in the premise of peace through strength. It works. In recent years Russia and China have become more bold and more aggressive. Russia has menaced her neighbors and China has menaced her neighbors. In order to maintain world peace and with the melting of Arctic seaways, the US really does need to expand its military capabilities. There is a need for it. I cannot fault Trump on that one, and I think military experts are in agreement.

22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

IMO -
    Both China and Russia already know that Trump is crazy. They also know that Trump "thinks" he has access to some serious offensive capability. If this was factually the case then China or Russia or both would be reacting very differently.

Especially now that Breitbart Bannon and that crazy general are NSC
    All conspiracy theorist nutters.
    and
    All Obama has to say is, that it's kind of cute to see Americans flexing their democratic right to protest.... hee hee if this wasn't so serious it would be funny.
    IMO, Obama seems to be waiting to see how far and well Americans support their values.
    UN security council is relatively silent.

Conclusion:

Trump DOES NOT have Code access NOR effective control of the military and is being allowed to think he does.

And the UN, China and Russia already know this.

Unpresedented oops unprecedetned, dang it... unprecedented times people!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

The time of ruling this world with military might are essentially over. Today it is more video games and virtual wars using cyber crime and economic might and the occasional skirmish.
    Trump is quite correct when he has stated that NATO is obsolete... and needs a wind down.

As an aside:
    The Iraqi Muslim armed forces have almost finished their ops in Mosul. Daesh, ISIL have already been degraded significantly.

The Muslim Ban is totally unnecessary and about 12 months too late....( if ever appropriate)

Law suits against the USA are being currently prepared... but this is relatively trivial compared to what is happening in the White House

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017