Banshee

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Tyler, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"I do not like to call people white or coloured though. In my opinion they are all equal."

This is the first comment on these forums to anger me in quite some time. Between this and your "racism doesn't exist" bullshit I've decided I need to step in.

This is remarkably dumb. Saying I am white and my friend Adolphus is black does not say ANYTHING about whether we are equal or not. It is a simple fact. Facts are NOT discriminatory - they are FACTS. According to your logic we shouldn't mention hair colour, eye colour, height, weight, hat size, glove size, clothing size (should it be - one size fits all for everything?), foot size....

Get a grip Banshee. We may all be one species but that doesn't stop the FACT that my skin is white, Adolphus' is black and Pedro's is neither.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Banshee, that is a very Pro-Communist remark.

I think that you meant to say that people should all be treated equal

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xev Registered Senior Member

I get really offended when people call me white. It is so mean not to notice my tan that I spent so much time on.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Tyler, Banshee just said that she does not like to call people these labels, not that they are not different colours. I think this is a nice sentiment.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tyler Registered Senior Member

She said earlier that racism does not exist. That it is not a real thing. That is my main concern.

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

Oh okay, sorry Tyler, I missed that.

9. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I suspect Banshee was talking about how labelling people by groups and placing value on them by those labels is complete bollocks.

By "racism does not exist", I suspect she meant that, like many religions and other superstitious beliefs, it is based not on any hard facts about racial differences and such but on supersititious nonsense.

But it's not for me to put words in her mouth, so I'll shut up now...

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"By "racism does not exist", I suspect she meant that, like many religions and other superstitious beliefs, it is based not on any hard facts about racial differences and such but on supersititious nonsense"

Neither is sexism, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. She said "I don't believe racism is a real thing, it doesn't exist."

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

It does not exist for me, in my mind and in my dealing with people.

Further more, Adam is right, for the biggest part.

However, racism is a very real thing in this civilization. Isn't it about time that there'll come an end to this?

I do not like to label people, no matter what. It is so easy to put a label on anything people pleases. Why not take a person as he/she comes. Why always the labeling and putting people in boxes?

I'm born and raised in a multi cultural country and learned to deal with people, not "races"...

12. Xev Registered Senior Member

Banshee:
    Solidifies society's control over the individual. Labelling is a wonderful tool for gaining power.

13. Angelus Daughter Of House Ravenhearte Registered Senior Member

Don't forget it's also extremely useful for scapegoating. Hitler + Jews, USA + Muslims, as examples.

14. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

Let's not forget Muslims vs. USA, Angelus... a coin has more than one dimension, or had you forgotten?

See, even with that one little post you demonstrated a non-equal viewpoint.

15. Firefly Registered Senior Member

I know!! (Actually, people don't anymore, so I guess I've crossed the line, in appearance anyway)

Tyler, I think you were being too literal, and read it slightly wrong, though I think Banshee could've phrased it better.

For the record, I agree with her, racism doesn't affect me and my "dealings". Though I guess that goes for most people here...