Basement biotech lab

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by 2dollarman, Jul 10, 2008.

1. 2dollarman Registered Member

do any of you guys know what kind of equipment i would need to start a biotech lab in my basement and how much it would cost?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

My response to that would be that it's both very expensive AND requires a lot of training and knowledge.

And if you had the background for it, you wouldn't have even asked this question.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. thecollage Registered Senior Member

probably an estimated $100 Million. Plus make sure you have all of your EPA paperwork filled out.

Maybe you should get an attorney too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

"Biotech lab" is not very specific. Depending on what you want to do prices range between, say 10000 (if you do not want to do much more than PCR) to the millions. Some basic equipments are not that expensive, but the running costs are. And if you want to do some mass spec or anything more specialized, or if you want to cultivate something prices go way up. Also, the running costs tend to be extremely high.
    In addition, quite a number of experiments fall under certain safety laws.

8. 2dollarman Registered Member

well the prices for the equipment have gone down dramatically. I was thinking for a small basic molecular biology lab would cost around $10,000 in the near future. and I could just use makeshift parts and build some of the equipment myself to keep cost down, and limit my internet activity from buying a whole bunch of lab equipment thats being shipped to a residential area. So no FBI agents come knocking on my door lol.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  9. 2dollarman Registered Member

well this "project" of mine isn't exactly going to be public if you get my drift. So basiclly I can do whatever I want as long as it's secret

. I basically want to be one of the pioneers of decentralizing scientific research and making lab equipment cheap enough so an average person would be able to engineer organs, limbs, etc cheaply.

That is when science won't be held down by ethics and morals and this will be the start of the next revolution in science that dwarfs any other previous scientific revolutions MUHAHAHAHAH!!!!:xctd:

Sorry if I sound crazy lol, but in all seriousness that is basically my life goal, so from now on I will dedicate my life to it.

10. draqon Banned Banned

e-bay it.

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That's sure not a realistic goal. Besides, you're going to have to devote at least 15% of your entire life just going to school - and that's sure not cheap either. Sorry.

12. 2dollarman Registered Member

where did you get that %15 from? and how is that not a realistic goal?? it's not like I'm trying to travel to the end of the universe. Give me examples that show me its not possible.

13. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

First thing is that the goal you describe are at this point still science fiction. So there is no equipment to buy for it. However if you think about doing basic research in this area (I assume tissue engineering for the sake of argument). I would think that you need roughly 1.5 million if you want some basic eukaryotic cell culture experiments with, say, confocal microscopic visualization.
    Running costs for cultivation and few experiments would be at least 1500-2000 per month. Likely higher. Mind you, this does not include any really fancy experiments, just keeping them alive and maybe tagging them, so that you can visualize the cells.
    It takes in a good established lab for a newcomer working in a well defined field roughly two years to get good results. Faster, if someone else is telling him/her what to do. In other words assume something like 24 to 50 k costs (in addition to basic equipment) just to get the things running up to a point where you can do meaningful results. If you are good, that is.

If you want to have a detailed view on the transcriptome add around 2000 to the running costs per month. Proteome analyses via mass spec have for a good machine around 2-5 mio price tag. A good GC-MS is cheaper, but a good one also can go for a million or more (depending on sensitivity).

For microfabrication equipment add maybe 500k-1 Million or so for a good clean room with basic equipment. Increase the running costs for the filter equipment.

Chances are that if you buy copious amount of lab equipment, someone will knock on your door eventually. Quite a number of chemicals and equipment fall under certain laws that inhibit or prohibit selling to private persons.

Aside from this caveats you need to have an idea what you are going to do. Growing organs is not an idea or even a vision at this point.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Planning to manufacture CRACK or other types of drugs? :shrug: If so you should be aware that the smells will kill you and could explode as well. Just get a farm house out in the country to blow yourself up in.......PLEASE!

15. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

That kind of lab is actually rather cheap to set up. Illegal, though.

16. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Oh, mercy! Who would have thought that this whole science caper was so easy that the average person will be able to cheaply engineer new organs and limbs in their own basements? What an age we live in.

You truly do, but that’s okay. Just for a laugh, assuming you already had all the equipment and reagents you want, what would be your first experiments?

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Well, for starters, I'd suggest a replacement human brain - since the one he's currently using is apparently malfunctioning in a few regions.

18. draqon Banned Banned

if it was mulfunctioning in few regions...the probability that he would be posting here is small enough to say that the regions of his brains are most likely functioning well.

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Oh, gimmie a break!! ANY idiot can get on a computer and post garbage. We've got several here that prove that very, very often!:bugeye:

20. draqon Banned Banned

well than they are not really idiots...because one would have to recall information on how to click were and what and type in www.sciforums.com and log into here proving of their superior intelligence...

21. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Superior?!?!?!? Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!!!!!!! What a joke YOU are!

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

And what a joke most every human is as well. Sad isn't it, we live in an age of instant information but few people actually use it to improve themselves or gain knowledge but use it as a lever to argue over things.

23. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

True. Far too many people would MUCH rather talk than listen (and learn from it). And this place is SWARMING with 'em!!!