Battlestar Galactica: Best Show on TV

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Prince_James, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

SPOILERS ABOUND. This is a SPOILER FILLED thread. You have been warned. Spoilers up to and including the most RECENT EPISODE

The episode that aired tonight reaffirms my belief that Battlestar Galactica - even over "Lost", which is an amazing show in its own right - is the greatest show on television.

Brilliant battle scenes.

The most heart rendingly horrible scene in history (Saul killing his wife).

The shocking reveal that Cassie isn't Starbuck's daughter.

And the heroic return to Battlestar.

One word: WOW.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    I wouldn't quite go that far, but this show did shock the bejeezus out of me.

When I first read that they were resurrecting it I laughed my ass off. I thought - come on, they're going to throw a bunch of $$$ at this campy old crap and try taking it seriously ???
    (I was 14 when the original show debuted in 1978 - pure shit indeed !)
    LoL

Its new incarnation is quite a surprise - great stuff.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Well I should have noted "in the history of TV SciFi" or even "the history of the show". But yes, my Freudian slip betrays how incredible I thought it was.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

How far is season 3 along now? It hasn't started showing here yet, and I'm beginning to have withdrawal symptoms.

PS. Please don't put spoilers in your answer

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

The episode shown last night was the third ep.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Confession: Back in junior high, I also liked the original Battlestar Galactica. I even watched the short-lived spin off where they actually arrived on earth.

But this new series is way beyond the camp adolescent crap that made up the original series. Great stuff.

10. Jaster Mereel Hostis Humani Generis Registered Senior Member

Holy mother of God in heaven... Friday's episode was the most amazing set of science fiction action sequences I have ever seen. Galactica dropping into the planets atmosphere to launch it's Vipers as air cover for the insurgents and evacuees, and then jumping away? Pure brilliance. It was the most beautiful battle sequence I have ever seen. And Pegasus ramming the Basestar? Holy shit.

The thing that really makes the show beyond first class television is that the show is actually character focused, yet it is still capable of pulling off the stunning visuals that are the hallmark of science fiction television. It doesn't ever appear hackney, IMHO.

(Forgive the spoilers... I figured it was ok becuse of the warning in the beginning.)

11. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

The scene with Galactica in the atmosphere and jumping away was well done. I'm a huge fan of this show and love everything from the writing to the cinematography.

What's up with fat Apollo, though? Did the actor actually get fat or is this a storyline thing?

12. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

If its got anything to do with the storyline it's strange that it hasn't really been mentioned already.

13. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Apollo got fat? What? He seemed fine to me.

But yes, Jaster Mereel , you're correct: The action scenes were...incredibly awesome. This was movie quality awesomeness. Blew Stargate out of the water.

14. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

You didn't see the 1st episode of the new season where he had his shirt off and his gut was hanging down past his knob? He has gotten so fat it didn't look real especially when compared to the last episode of the previous season.

15. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Kazakhan:

I didn't at all notice him as being fat. I think you're mistaking him for the guy with the wife and kid that used to screw the Cylon Oriental.

16. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Yeah, this guy looks same as ever -

Here is silly plump toaster frakker-

...although his little "household appliance" was kinda cute...
    LoL

I'm a sucker for Gaius Baltar's peroxide blond jobby, tho'

17. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

There's like a whole scene in the first episode of the season where Apollo and his wife discuss his being "soft" and "not just the weight." In the scene just before that one, Adama tells Apollo to "get your fat ass out of here."

The guy is fat.

18. draqon Banned Banned

Of all the shows...I hate BattleStar Galactica...the way its made with the slowing down side view camera shots and the main scheme of terrorists. Someone create Star Trek or SG1 are the best series ever made.

19. Jaster Mereel Hostis Humani Generis Registered Senior Member

You're out of your mind. Surely you must have been on drugs when you wrote this. BSG is the greatest space opera/science fiction drama ever made on film.

I'll stand by that statement.

20. Jaster Mereel Hostis Humani Generis Registered Senior Member

I totally agree, and I'm a Stargate fan. More because it doesn't really seem to take itself too seriously, though, because the writers know that the premise is kind of silly.

Battlestar Galactica is on a whole different level from Stargate. I probably have to commit seppuku for mentioning them in the same post.

21. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

I dunno...

It's all a matter of taste.

I myself could never sit thru an episode of SG1.

I can stomach scenes with Amanda Tapping in 'em... (yum)
    But that guy that plays Daniel Jackson... ech.
    And McGyver... ugh...
    And the guy with the logo glued to his forehead... (yeah, yeah - "Teelk", "Teelque", "Tealc" or whatever it is) I just want to reach into the screen, peel it off, and go "no, no, no... silly, silly..."

What can I say ?

22. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Jaster Mereel:

Yes, that is the only way I can appreciate Stargate, too. With a recognition that quite often it appreciates its own silliness.

23. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Why would you think I'm mistaking him for anyone? How bloody obvious must it be? Here I've helped by taking a couple of screenshots and now having had a closer\another look I think the fat is real especially since he has lost a bit by the fourth episode...