before the big bang,

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

ok can i stress one point please before we start this discussion,

keep to the point before the big bang, this isnt a topic about anything after the bang, only events/energy/existance/something before the bang,

ok what are peoples theories about existance (if any) before the bang,

what was there what caused it?

peace

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, science tells us that we can't create or destroy energy. So if that's the case, all of the energy in the universe was always there, just hangin' around waiting for something or someone to mold it into planets, suns, and humans!

Maybe we'll discover a new law of physics which says the energy can only be create or destroyed ONCE! After that, it can't be created or destroyed. Hey, anything is possible.

There are also those who thing an intelligent being/force did it all.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

good reply, i have always believed the energy has always existed in some form, because it cannot be destroyed, im not religious but i think its very possible a higher bieng or something of that nature had a part to play in existance,

for anything to just exist atall anywhere is amazing and must have been done in some seriously out of this world way,

is it possible for something to be infinate? if not then how can you explain nothing existing, then something just happening to exist?.

anyone else want to give there 2 cents? this subject is always on my mind its the question i ask myself more than anything else.

peace

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. valich Registered Senior Member

If you believe in the Big Bang Theory then before the Big Bang there was another Big Bang as there will be anotherone in the future: a constant expanding of the universe then contraction of the universe to a single point, then reexpansion - bang, bang, bang.

8. Lucas Registered Senior Member

My favourite explanation is the explanation offered by a theory called Loop Quantum Cosmology: the Universe was contracting before the Big Bang

It was contracting until the Universe was incredibly dense, then the Big Bang triggered the expansion phase

LQC is a subject of intense research actually, I'm sure you will find some papers all over Internet

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So some of you are saying that the energy of the universe has always been there? But what created that energy in the very, very FIRST place? A series of "bangs" doesn't explain that. So ....where did that energy come from in the first place?

Baron Max

10. valich Registered Senior Member

And this is in line with exactly what I am saying. Before the Big Bang the universe contracted to a single point, then "Bang," the Big Bang occurred again - no diffference.

11. valich Registered Senior Member

When you start talking about creation, then you are being a "creationist." In other words, you believe in God. Why do you think that ANYTHING has to have an original creation? As if it couldn't have always been there eternally. Finite versus infinite?

12. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Is nothing something? Can nothing exist? Why is 'something always was' harder to accept than 'something came from nothing'? If there was originally nothing did the potential for something exist?

There may be a law that forbids nothingness existing in this universe.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  13. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

maybe it's a loop. maybe the end of this universe will be it contracting and exploding, but exploding in the big bang that makes this very universe! get it? the end of time would be the begining of time as well.

but yeah, where did the energy come from...

maybe the universe expands in and out, in and out, and sits on top of a piston in a pan-dimensional DOHC 4-cylinder inline.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

I am supposed to worry about some punk knowing that I believe in God and God's creation?

I don't think so.

15. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Time began with the big bang, thus the concept, before the big bang, is a incorrect, because you can't have a before if you don't have time.

Thats what I read some time ago. It hurts just thinking about it, how can there be no before.. Arrhhhh

16. Dascu Registered Senior Member

As Blindman states it, there was nothing before the Big Bang. (the very first, that is, if you work with the pulsating universe theory)
    Einstein told us, time is relative.
    Time exists *because* of the Big Bang and the universe in general.
    It's quite hard to imagine though.

17. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

It's The most difficult question. What was there before the big bang; before the universe; and in the case that 'God created it', then the question becomes, 'How was God created', what came before 'God'? Essentially the same question.

Well, the short and most honest answer is that we don't know; have no way of knowing and probably never will. It's that 'something coming from nothing' dillema, our logic says it's improbable and probably impossible.

Thing is, why should there have been even a nothingness there? To say nothing was there, is to imply that there was 'something' that was 'nothing', or an empty vessel, an empty space, but why was the space there to begin with? Why should there have been a space there at all?

Getting back to logic; it tells us that infinity is also impossible; you know, no beginning and no end. Logic tells us that there must be a beginning somewhere so we have another dillema. I think infinity can exist in mathematics, but we have to wait for a mathematician to post on that theory.

Try an easier question Chi

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

Time can't start somewhere in time (past), neither can the universe. There was no Big bang.

Some people have known everything for thousands of years.

19. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

there is this theory of dark matter and matter. These two matters collided and exploded in our galaxy, causing energy, which reverberated like a domino effect. In some areas it was congested while other areas had smaller energy fields. So high were this energy that when it attained a "cooler" state conciousness was a result of this condensaton.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  20. RoscoHowOriginal Awesome Registered Senior Member

If time had no beginning, there would be an infinite amount of time before the present. Which means that no matter how much time has passed you would never reach the present. Which is where you are, I think.

They say to imagine that spacetime is like a big rubber sheet stretched out. If you put a bowling ball on it it dips. If you put a marble near the bowling ball it will roll towards it. This represents gravity. If you put a ball that is really heavy on the sheet it will bend so much that even if you are moving at the fastest possible speed you cannot help but fall in. It's possible that the ball could be so heavy that it would tear the sheet, and anything that fell in the hole would be lost forever to the tiny inhabitants of the rubber sheet universe. In this way matter can be lost to a universe without actually being destroyed.

Maybe this stuff can take some time and space from the original universe and somehow become a new universe. I know there is no real reason to think this, and it doesn't explain where the stuff in the sheet universe came from, but i am just saying it is a possiblility, not saying we should teach it in high schools in Kansas.

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, it's not the same question. The very term "god" implies something that does NOT follow any of the laws of the universe, man's laws of physics or any other "laws". "God" implies a superman, a super intelligence, a super everything, who can and does defy all known laws of the universe. I.e., "god" can create or destroy energy ...even tho' man can not!

Baron Max

22. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Virtual particles.....do they really appear out of nothing?

23. Dano9700 Registered Senior Member

I've never really understood physicists' notion of time, only that they say time itself is substantial, or tangible (I'm not sure if those are the right words) in some way, instead of being an abstract concept that we earthlings use to make sense of our passing lives, i.e. the typical everyday human sense of time. I'm pretty sure that scientific 'time' is what Blindman is referring to, and not abstract time. Which makes statements like these:

irrelevant. I don't think standard logic can be applied to the sort of time that pertains to Big Bang -like theories, because our understanding is completely subjective.

Can someone bother to try and make more sense of this concept for me, or point me in the right direction? It's a concept that's always puzzled me because it's so hard to wrap your brain around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.