Beliefs...

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Lesion42, May 6, 2002.

1. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

I don't know about you, but I only believe in things that exist. Nice and simple. The problem is, how do you know what really exists? Puzzle over that one.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

We belive things through knowledge, sensory perception and reference points. - That is essentially reality for us, things may be different but if we cannot comprehend them in one of the two ways: For humans they are non existent.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

so just because you close your eyes and can not see the world,
    then it is nonexistant?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Nope you misunderstood. It would still be there for a number of reasons. First, you could still hear, smell, and touch your sorroundings. Second, you have experienced the world once and could think about it, rationalize its existance. Third, if someone else was there that person could tell you about the world's existance.

With out knowledge or the capability to think, or senses. We would not be able to comprehend the world, we wouldn't know what the word means, we couldn't have this convrsation of course.

8. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

well you still bae part of this argument on senses,
    bind deaf mute numb no tast touch
    would this person be able recognize the world?

and even if they had experienced it before?

what if not and they had been born this way?

so do you mean it is a cycle where we feel the world and base our existence on its existence?

9. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

No, misunderstood again. Yes a person born with no senses could not recognize this world. They have no way of experienceing it and no way of knowing it do to the fact such a person could not communicate with other people. They would have nothing to go on, so the final pillar - rationalization would not help them either. They would simply know of there own existence.

If they had experienced the world before then they would be able to rationalize its existence.

"so do you mean it is a cycle where we feel the world and base our existence on its existence?" - No, read above.

10. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

But how do you know you exist?

11. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

I know by using the three priciples I described and realizing having the capability to use all these would infer existance - It is my reality, the reality. I can't be wrong, wrong or right doesn't apply here unless I can use the three prinicples to make another deduction but to have them to make such a deduction I must exist.

12. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

so this person knows that they exist, but not that anyothers do? how can that work what can they possibly know about anything?

they know they exist ok maybe but in what reality? the reality that you describe?

13. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

If they can think, I believe they know of their own existance in some way. However not in the reality of which I speak, for the point of my posts are that such a person would not be able to comprehend that reality in any way. However, perhaps you are correct. If they have absoluteley no frame of reference they may not be able to comprehend their own existance. My point was though that such a person could not comprehend our reality in any way for he/she would not have any of the necassary tools. The point of his knowledge of his own existance is that all thought stems from the first comcept we have, counciessness. So maybe you are correct, it does not detract from my ideas or my model.

14. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

well ok can you state your "model" to me so i can ask more questions?

15. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Hahahahaha, now we're starting to sound like PHDs.

The three points from which we interpret reality I mention in my first post constitute my model.

Don't put it in quotations, makes me feel dirty.

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Nothing and everything exists

Nothing can be proven to exist. We can agree about what seems to exist or not. But in no way can that existence be independently verified.
    Cactus Jack, what, then, is the difference between believing and knowing?

thanx,
    Tiassa

17. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

i think at this point it is Tiassa's turn to ask the questions, I am going to sleep everyone, thank you for your time.

18. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Tiassa, I'm not 100% sure I comprehend your question, however: There is no difference between belief and knowledge in my concept. It is our existance, counciessness. We cannot believe or comprehend anything unless presented by way of one of the three concepts, it is knowledge it is belief.

19. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

Matrix Scenario,

well we are being simulated, even though our flesh is alive, we are not sure where we actually, we think we are one place, and yet we are not...
    is our dream/hibernation state coincide with our concide with our "counciesness"

20. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Straight down the Rabbit Hole:

Allright on that scenario: Even if we are "plugged in" if we never realize this during our whole life than it would be our perception of reality, our reality. However, if we were "unplugged" and were given our real senses back than we would use these and comprehend our new reality. If your thinking what about if when being unplugged we have new senses? I don't know because our current reality consists of the ones I have discussed. We don't know of any others - that's part of the point.

21. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

so is reality only defined by those that can comprehend it? no i wasnt thinking about other sense that exist.....

22. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

I don't know if you understand what I mean by comprehend. In this case if you can't comprehend reality than you are not experiencing/living in it.

23. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

so take one person, who does not comprehend reality, does reality not exist for that person?
    and then and if, does it exist for everything or for nothing? is reality the void that contains all that is real, and when person conciusly blacks out, though others can still comprehend them, does that then make them not exist..