Beliefs...

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Lesion42, May 6, 2002.

1. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

I believe in anything that can be detected (by own senses or through particle accelerators, raido telescopes etc.)

It may be ok to say in theory that nothing exists because it can never be proven but how many of you actually live your life like that?

Example: How many people lie down in the middle of a busy highway because the cars are just illusions of the minds. No we call people who do crap like that morons.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Have you used hallucinogens? You obviously cannot define reality as that if you have!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

My definition of reality is the only one with any actual meaning. Mabey reality is just some hallucination but is there a single person in the world who actualy belives that it is?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

I'll answer Oedipus' and then Tyler's questions. First why is it unreasonable to think a "person, who does not comprehend reality" does not see reality as we do? And as far as the use or how meaningfull his reality is, I cannot speculate. First off we, percieving reality as we do cannot understand such a view point. Second if as person "conciusly blacks out" he can use the point of reference Idea from my theory to conclude he was there during a period of time but cannot remeber it. He will wake up later in time, later in the day perhaps, other people will have been around and witnessed it. Etc.

Tyler, point of reference again. If a person is walking in the dessert with another three and imagines a lake the other three can tell him it does not exist and rationalize his hallucination.

8. Tyler Registered Senior Member

So if four of you are locked in a room takin' acid together, no rational thinker around.....?

9. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Good question. However, once you come off "your trip" you can rationalize what happened. Realize what events and things you saw to be false, and that the acid induced them. Also you might have different hallucinations and considering they don't coinside would also help your rationalization.

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Okay, just to be a bugger.........

You're a lone and are pushed into a room by a machine. You hallucinate. You come out of the room after one hour and the room is then destroyed with no knowledge of it's content left over.

?????

Just playin' devil's advocate here!

11. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

No, I like these questions.

First off you might have seen illogical things in the hallucination, afterwords you could rationalize their non existance. Second, you might have know what caused you to hallucinate, more rationalization. Finaly, you could talk to someone else about the experience and they could give you insight on what may have happened.

12. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Lesion42 ...

Heard somewhere that 'Reality is what's left after you stop believing'
    (or something like that).

So, if I want to 'believe' that I can walk through walls, after the third
    or forth attempt (if I'm really hung up on my belief), I either accept 'reality'
    or check myself in at the funny farm.

Take care

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

Someone once said that if humans used 100% of their brains than we would not need bodies. If that is a possible perception of reality than couldn't we lead ourselves to think that reality is only a thing that we use to make ourselves feel comfortable about what we do not fully understand and what frightens us. I will end with something I think can hold true for mankind. You can't control what you don't understand and thus we can't control our reality.

14. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

"someone" is a moron. If we didn't have bodies we couldn't eat and the brain would die from lack of energy.

15. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

tell me, how can you proove something exist? Reality is only real to the person who believes it exists. Everything that exists outside the human mind is totally raw, unprocessed by thought. Everyone thing we know that is 'real' is only real because we belive it so, but it might not exist outside the human mind. Does that make sense?

16. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

a brain IS a part of teh body. So the brain would BE the body.

17. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

A technicality, i think everyone here realized that i was ment was the rest of the body. Even if we used 100% of our brain we would still need the rest of the body to process energy and reproduce among other things.

18. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Beliefs...

Allright, I think I follow, have you read the whole thread? I think I put up a pretty good argument, anyway the thing is if something is completely incomprehendible to humanity then it is not part of our reality, it is not real. I we have no way of gauging or knowing or etc. its existance than it is a mute subject, not real by our reality.

19. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"tell me, how can you proove something exist? Reality is only real to the person who believes it exists. Everything that exists outside the human mind is totally raw, unprocessed by thought. Everyone thing we know that is 'real' is only real because we belive it so, but it might not exist outside the human mind. Does that make sense?"

How do we know what is real and what isn't? We don't. You have to take faith in that your senses aren't lieing to you. Reality just means everything that is true. True is just the state of being in reality. It's a circular definition.

"Allright, I think I follow, have you read the whole thread? I think I put up a pretty good argument, anyway the thing is if something is completely incomprehendible to humanity then it is not part of our reality, it is not real. I we have no way of gauging or knowing or etc. its existance than it is a mute subject, not real by our reality."

Hmmmm. I think what she means is how do you know that the computer you're typing on is actually there?

20. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

If removed from outside stimulus, we don't do very well in perceiving reality. Reality is filtered though what we think, our senses, and our experiences.

I am sure that everyone here has heard of isolation tanks and the experiments that have been run on people by removing the outside stimulus that we receive to tell us what we think is real. Like it or no, our perceptions determine our reality. Remove them and we have no way ourselves of determining what is real and what is not.

If there is another reality, it may be right beside us but we have no way to prove that it is real. In going along with this thought, people who have illusions think that their reality is very real. It is only by the majority that whose reality is determined to be real. All of this basically reinforces Cactus Jack’s thoughts on the nature of reality. I tend to agree with him on his thoughts of what is reality and how it is determined.

21. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Gracias.

22. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

umm i think if it came to the point where the brain is the body, I would safley say that would not be a human. But you know it could happen, we have arms and legs and so forth for a reason, if it came to a point where we did not need them, then maybe would could just be a brain.

23. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

some people never come down froma trip. Demons and illusions haunt them forever. So, if another party cannot acknowledge that demons of this person, then it is not 'reality'... it gets very complex.
    ........I read a book once and it said this story..... A king and a queen ruled a land, a witch poisned the towns water to make everone 'crazy', except the king and queen . It happened, the town people then thought the rational rulings of the king and queen were 'crazy' and aas such they wanted to evict the king and queen. The K & Q could not understand why seeing as though THEY were the sain ones, THEY were the fittest to run the land. But public were determined the K & Q were nuts. The K & Q thought, to be loved by the people again, they too need to drink the water, and they did, and teh people saw them fit to rule.... so whoever knows what is normal?