Best cat breeds for a first time owner

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Gorlitz, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Bells Staff Member

I tend to be somewhat apprehensive around cats that are big enough to claw my face off or attack my children at any given moment.

Ragdolls are great cats. They do not mind being touched and patted and held. When you do hold them, they tend to sort of flop and literally roll around as you pat them. They are very good for apartment living.

If you want a cat that will run along with you in the countryside, or that can be walked on a lead.. Umm..

If you live in the countryside, sure, you can let them run in the field and hope that they do not attack the local wildlife or turn feral. But if you plan to take drives to the countryside to allow said cat to run wild, then this might pose a bit of a problem. Firstly, a cat is not a dog. They won't always come back to you if you call to them. Certainly, if they are used to a suburban setting or apartment setting and a small courtyard, dropping them in a large field and expecting them to have at it and then come back to you at home time may be a bit of a stretch. They may just take off and not return, or cower in terror and be quite stressed. If you plan to take the cat to the countryside, keep it on the lead that you have trained it to use.

As for walking them on a lead, that is something you need to train your cat to do. Here are some tips on how to do this: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/teaching-your-cat-walk-leash

Even with petting and being held, etc, you can train any cat to be used to that, if you get them while they are kittens. Some may be more willing than others to accept that sort of contact.

I do agree that a rescue cat or kitten is a terrific option. Both of my cats are rescue cats. We got them as kittens and they are terrific. Mixed breed, we don't even know what their breed is. But best of all, you are giving a cat a home where it will otherwise be put down because someone else did not want it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    Gorlitz likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Gorlitz likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gorlitz Iron Man Registered Senior Member

Thank you Bells, that was a thoughful and informative post. I have been in the process of trying to find out about which breeds do best in given situations. The apartment has a park situated in front of the building and beyond this is the river bank so hopefully plenty of countrified space in which to roam, thus he needs to possess a certain level independence but I will be very much considering each of the issues you have raised above. In particular this concept of turning feral is slightly concerning, especially with him being given the freedom to go off and explore the local areas rather than being kept be stuck in the apartment all day long, hopefull the right choice and with the proper care may help to prevent this from occurring though.

The leash training link is helpful, this idea of taking him with me for walks like a dog is really quite appealing. Again here it's useful to know as it will be influential in helping to choose a the right kind of cat that's best suited to it.

With regard to the rescue cat idea certainly this is worth considering but though possibly with some slight reservations about ending up getting one that has been mistreated in the past. I'm just mildly concerned that since this will be the first that any mistakes I may make along the way might be unfair to a cat that has already experienced more than it's fair share of problems in the past, and or that there may be other serious issues I'm not fully knowledgeable enough to deal with. Any animal I'm going to be responsible for deserves all of it's needs being met properly.

Maybe there can be a kind of middle ground compromise here, possibly asking around some of my friends and seeing if any of their cats have had any kittens which they are unable to look after, when I was younger this was how I got my dog as it was an unwanted puppy from a friend and she turned out to be the most adorable and loving dog imaginable. At least in this way I can be giving a home to cat without one but will also be able to be sure it would have had been previously looked after properly and so hopefully won't have any real issues.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

I think you are doing the best thing possible and that is researching and trying to find a breed that suits you and your lifestyle. If only more of us would do the same.

Regardless of whether you get a rescue cat or get a cat or kitten from a reputable dealer, you will know in advance what it is you want and most importantly, you are aware of your own limitations on what you can and cannot provide any cat you end up with. And that is great.

Rescue cats and kittens can sometimes be tricky, for reasons you mentioned. And sometimes they are not. The main thing is to find a cat that you love and can take care of.

Unlike many people who just walk into the nearest pet shop and buy a cat in the window and then act surprised when things go wrong because they don't have a clue about what they want and for what space, you are doing the responsible things.

Don't give up! And I really hope you find the cat or kitten that you are looking for.

Gorlitz likes this.
  8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Also remember to not have the cat declawed if it is going to be an outdoor cat.

Gorlitz and zgmc like this.
  9. Gorlitz Iron Man Registered Senior Member

Yes I've read about people having their cats claws removed. This is certainly suggested on some websites as must for people getting really large or exotic cats as pets. This being said the idea does not appeal to me at all, I'm not planning on getting a breed with massive claws anyhow so I don't mind the odd scratch or two.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Get a scratch post, if not you'll be seeing furniture ripped up.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Depending on where you live, their size gives them an advantage against predators. From weasels and coyotes all the way up to wolves and bears.

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

there also illegal in a lot of places. I've looked into owning them. i've also heard with them its better to go with F3 or F4 moving away from the serval line to get as much of the wild out of them as possible.

13. Orinda Fernandez Registered Member

My first cat is an American Shorthair named Galadriel

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!