Best Fuel Efficient Car?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by 420Joey, Feb 20, 2004.

1. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

My question is ; what type of affordable cars are generally more fuel efficient. I will be getting a new car this month and I have to travel about an hour north every morning, and I'm not a rich guy. I used to have a toyota tercel, you put ten dollars in it and you have a full tank. But my mothers and brothers and uncles are so gas-consuming... Can't afford that.

Sorry if my grammar is out of tune, I'm pretty out of it right now. :m: :m:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

just buy a loremo l22

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

1,5 litres/ 100 km , price : 10000€

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

http://www.chevrolet.com/aveo/
    27/35 mpg and it start under 10000 Dollars with that new car smell.
    Sweet Pentax do you have any links for Loremo l22, never heard of them, who makes them?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Just buy a deisel powered car and convert it to run on hemp oil!

google: BIODEISEL

side note, it's not a car, but my 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250 dual-purpose motorcycle gets 75 mpg... and some VW TDI deisels get 50mpg

9. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

hemp-oil ? you are sure you don´t mean rape-oil ?
    btw ,those cars often smell like pops pommes frites palace

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You can always get a really good deal on a used Mercedes-Benz diesel.

You can get an early 1980s 240D for around $2000 -- 25-27 mpg with a 4-speed (don't get the automatic unless you don't care at all about acceleration, but otherwise it's a fine transmission). Or splurge and get a 300D of the same vintage for $2500 - 3000 -- 23-24 mpg with a turbocharger and an automatic transmission.

(I don't know if you prefer the European fuel consumption figures. Just divide 225 by mpg to get L/100km.)

They're indestructable. You may have to duct-tape a few rips in the upholstery like any old car but the engine will run forever. We've got a 1978 240D that we bought new and it's outlasted five or six cars in every family we know. Replaced the clutch a couple of times, a master cylinder, maybe a water pump or something like that too. When my Toyota died a few years ago, (yeah, Toyotas are cast iron, but Mercedes are made out of Kryptonite) I spent $3,000 on a 1980 300SD - the huge body with all the power accessories. It had 150,000 miles on it then and 200,000 now. And it gets 22-23 mpg. Actually if you ever need to carry five people in comfort with a quarter ton of luggage, you might want a 300SD. ^_^

Fuel economy is important, but you have to consider the whole package. The cost of the car itself and the cost of upkeep. Diesel engines are not "cool" right now so all the students and poor people are snapping up the old Benzes and laughing their way to the bank while the slightly more affluent people buy old Japanese cars that cost more and need more repairs before they're half as dependable as a Mercedes.

Don't worry about pollution. Even though they didn't have emission standards for diesel engines back then, Mercedes was used as the standard because nobody else could figure out how to beat it, even twenty years later.

If you live someplace where it often drops very far below freezing, forget this advice. Diesel engines won't start unless you find one with a block heater, and you have a place to plug it in at night. That's not bad at all, but it will probably be hard to find and the seller will know it's worth something.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Toyotas Prius was voted 2004 car of the year. It gets over 55 MPG so in less than 3 years you'll get your money back in fuel savings. Here's a link to it:

http://www.toyota.com/prius/

Hondas Insight is another hybred car that gets over 55 MPG so it is as good as the Toyota but not as roomy or as nice looking. They both are great cars and safe. They both have been on the road for over 4 years now so they are going to stay.

http://www.hondacars.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Insight

BTW they are 20,000.00 US new but are worth it.