Best Olympic Games Ever:

Discussion in 'World Events' started by paddoboy, Sep 15, 2020.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Today is the 20th anniversary of what was to be the greatest ever Olympic games in Sydney 2000, as announced by the International Olympic President
    Juan Antonio Samaranch who concluded that the XXVII Olympiad in 2000 was the best Olympic Games ever.

Why was it special for me? Well my Mrs was picked months before, out of a church choir, to be among the performers and singers at the opening ceremony of the games, something she was immensely proud of, and stringently adhered to the secrecy, including the destination when she was picked up by bus for rehearsals every week.

The other special moment was the lighting of the torch by Cathy Freeman, who went on to win gold in the 400 mtrs track and field.....

The only other time the Olympics have been held in Australia was Melbourne in 1956, when we won every men's and woman's freestyle swimming event run, with the likes of Murray Rose, the Konrad kids Ilsa and John, and the greatest ever female swimmer Dawn Fraser.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I thought the thread title was referencing the London 2012 games... still the best ever.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No such proclamation made since

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

All kidding and patriotism aside, I was always impressed with the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

On reflection though, it is sad that other less economically sound countries can never really be in contention.

With the forthcoming Tokyo Olympics next year after the 12 months postponement, will they still be every 4 years from that date?