BioFuels vs. Hydrogen economy

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by ElectricFetus, Jun 9, 2003.

?

Which is the fuel of the future

1. Hydogen

20 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. Biofuels

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

I think both forms will be developed, in the developed world i think hydrogen will prevail. Industry will find a safe way of storing,manufacturing, etc. Biomass fuels would be simpler alternative for the developing world, where their technology is not as advanced and also cheaper infrastructure would steer them in the biomass direction.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

that's ok, I'm not looking for investment opportunities just reasonable examples of biofuel production. I'm not really surprised it's struggling right now, energy is still just so damn cheap it's still hard to justify (financially) alternatives that require significant initial investment. God, our shortsightedness in this area drives me insane.

really, the tech is doing poorly? I'm surprised to hear that, it seems like a no brainer to me. I assume it's too expensive to implement at present? Oh well, it will be used eventually I'm sure, it's just too good of an idea not to.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dunnoyet Registered Senior Member

Hydrogen is a fledgling technology. It will have to fight for its market share. It may be the fuel of the far future, but the near future (particularly with Thermal Depolymerization) will be petrol-dominated.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

Thats not true , the turbines at regular intervals will keep the pressure at bay.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No they woun't, the pressure has to build from at front of the turbine or else the trubine won't spin fast. Now I'm not a machanical engine, but if you idea was feasible then why has it not be done before?

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

10. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

That Bcause Humans hav not yet found a way to create a forum without need of a moderators. When they cant do such a simple thing how can U expect them to do something strange as that ?

Basically humans think just because its not done before , it must be impractical. This itself is so because they have yet to evolve to that level.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No, a turbine works by having a pressure differential between the front and back, you can't stage many turbines because each one will cause pressure at back of the turbine in front of it, choking it. At a point I become inefficient to add more stages because you slow the stages in front, producing less power.It not a matter of why has it never been done it a matter of it can’t be done.

12. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

U forgot the G again. Think more, Think harder , Ur fetal brain eventhough undeveloped must understand this, the hope of humanity lies in Ur minds Comprehendabality, I gave up hope 50 years back when I was less than 10 but then Ur not even 1, I mean U may not even be born yet. I should ask the one who cooked U.

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No the gravity will not add enough pressure to run all the turbines. Your idea is akin to perpetual motion: there is a limit to how much energy can be sucked out of hydropower. I’m not going to continue conversations with you with those comments.

14. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

You are a fucking idiot.

15. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

Thanks ElectricFetus.

There will be the energy I am talking about. What ever energy that is generated is due the height of the water in the dam. With my idea whenever we go down the river with turbines in the pipe, after each slot of height gap equivalent to the height of water in the dam we will get same amount of energy. Ie By placing one turbine at each interval such that the height of water is equal to the dam water height we will get he same amount of energy each time.

So if the height of dam water is say 10 meters and the river starting from the dam to the sea is at 100 metes height then we will get 10 times the energy we are getting now. No more nukes please.

16. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Feh. In my honest opinion, we should have just stuck with cablecars for most urban transport. Just hook it into a grid connected to a nucular power plant. Thats as clean as it gets.

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

RawThinkTank,

and the back pressure chokes the turbines spinning them at a very slow rate generating very little electricity. There is a reason why dams have pipes going down 100m+ shafts to a single turbine.

18. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

U r a human, for sure.

19. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

so where will the energy of 100meters go ?

20. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Friction. Tell you what, why dont you try a home experiment on this.
    Get a large bucket of watr, drill a hole in the side, get some drainpipe and some properllers of some sort that will fit inside it, and place them at regular intervals along the pipe, then connect the pipe together, stick the top end into the bucket, and the bottom end into your garden drain or something, and then fill the bucket with water. Actually I just forgot, what you really need is small electric motors connected to all teh propellors, with output wires sticking out the pipe. Then you can check what energy is coming out them, and compare the differences between one turbine, 2, 3, 4, and so on.

Have you ever done any actual school level physics and thermodynamics?
    Are you willing to take a scientific atttiude and subject your theories to tests?

21. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

22. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I did. The water and the pipe will get slightly warmer as a result of the friction and collisions of all the molecules bouncing off each other in an uncoordinated manner.
    With the back pressure, you'll get some energy out until the water builds up too high a pressure and stops the turbine blades from turning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.