Birds

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Fafnir665, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

I thought this was kinda creepy, so i took a picture

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

Is there a hidden picture I'm not seeing or something? It's a flock of birds. What is creepy about that? Do they not have alot of birds where you are from?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

You should see the lines near where I work. Take that picture and add about 200 more birds and it might be close. I am not exaggerating. I guess it's the smell of the restaurant food nearby that attracts them. but they are always there. And when they all fly around the sky turns dark in that area. It is kinda creepy.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

It's a bunch of black birds.

On a cloudy day...

Dark and ominous.

8. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

hmm...
    I guess i would have to feel it. I just see a storm coming in.

9. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

have u not seen Hitchcock's film??

10. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

yeah..I have.
    I also stood while a flock of birds flew around me.
    One is a movie the other is real.
    I guess i am just silly for being used to large groups of birds or something.

11. Silent Beauty Registered Member

OOoohhhhhh ^^:
    That's really nice, Fafnir!
    You never showed me this one!
    Speaking of Hitchcock's film and the imagery that goes along with it, it's like that painting Van Gogh did with all the birds.
    Dark and ominous alright, right before his death too.

12. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Faf, I love you man but, you got too much time on your hands.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Nah dude, The weather in the backround played awesome in the pic.....

13. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Well, I took that pic while a friend and I were walking to pick up a car...

The birds started flying once we got close, and then I wanted to take a pic...

heres another one.

14. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

15. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Have you confirmed that those were crows? Otherwise, what's so scary?
    *lightning strikes*
    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

16. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

They look a little small to be crows. Plus, I dont think that crows bunch together in that amount. Then agian mabye they are

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

I seldom see or read any detailed info bout crows anyway.... so I don't know exactly. I only know that they're black all-over.

18. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

They aren't crows but I like the photos anyway.
    Mephura you bring up a point I thought about a while ago while looking at birds.
    Of all the animals birds didn't really raise an eyebrow for me because I see them all the time, probably as everyone does, they are everywhere.
    But when you really look at them they are pretty weird.
    I like to sometimes try and look at earth as an alien would. Or the way I would look at a new planet. When you do that birds and butterflies and everything is eerily awesome for some reason.
    We are so jaded to how amazingly miraculous life is, if you can look at it like a new born baby but with the bonus of a brain that can appreciate it, its quite a cool feeling.
    What really makes me feel tingly and humbled is seeing the relayionships between more than one species in action, be it predator and prey relationships or symbiotic relationships or whatever, just seeing ecosystems function first hand is like my favourite thing, you know it would be happening whether you existed or not, you know it has been happening long before any humans existed, for some reason thats cool to me.
    Like for example once I was out in the ocean on a boat when suddenly I noticed a flock of assorted sea birds hovering over a spot, I watched for a second and then i saw huge tuna start leaping out of the water, they must have been at least 4 foot long and soon i realised there was hundreds of them, all leaping out of the water chasing schools of fish, the birds followed them around so they could pick off their left overs and I followed the birds around because they knew where the action was so I knew wherever they were was where the tuna would pop up again. There were times when these giant fish were leaping out of the water about 3 feet away from my face.
    The whole collection of all the animals involved made it spectacular, for me anyway.
    Another time, this time on a desert island at sunset, I saw litterally hundreds of thousands of flying foxes(the largest bats in the world) flying around and hanging in trees on an island, there was so much noise and commotion and to top it off a pair of sea eagles was trying to pick some out of the crowd.
    They would try to catch them in the most spectacular fashion by flying up underneath them and flipping upside down to grab them with their claws in midflight.
    Most of the time they would miss and the flying fox would get away so they would try again. It was just so amazing.
    This predator prey interaction is seen in david attenboroughs "the life of mammals" but i saw it long before I saw that and I was just stunned, i never imagined eagles hunting giant bats in my wildest dreams. I really did feel like I was on an alien planet. I couldn't have heard myself scream and I just stood there on sand looking up at all this action as the sun went down and I thought "most people don't even know this is happening or care", its just a strange feeling.
    What does this have to do with birds sitting on a powerline?
    Not much, but I can get the same feeling(admittedly to a lesser extent) I got from seeing that stuff when looking at something like a gecko stalk a moth on the outside of the window in my bathroom, or magpies looking for worms in the garden. You just need the right frame of mind, my point is birds are by no means boring if you take the time out to think about it all.

19. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

They look like starlings to me. An invasive, introduced species from Europe. The pic on the site shows their sheen (it's like a metallic green), but they really appear black.

Crows do flock together in Autumn and Winter in what is called a Murder. But the bill of those birds is too narrow, and the tail too short for them to be crows. Not to mention that the shape and size isn't quite right.

20. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

WAIT?! about the crow: a flock of them is called Murder? How supersticious.....

21. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Yeah, pretty cool, eh?

22. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

http://www.takeourword.com/TOW173/page2.html

I was told that a group of crows is a murder too, but so far this is the only source that says why. Most of the other sources I've looked at said a flock or flight is also acceptable.

Not really much of an answer as to why yet, but I'll keep looking and edit it in if I find anything.