Births Deaths Marriage Government Department

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Michael 345, Dec 27, 2021.

?

Should recording marriages stay with Births and Deaths or be a separate department?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Does anyone think Marriage still belongs within the Department along with Births and Deaths?

In Australia the Government recognises Common Law Marriage

The recognition is somewhat flexible and is taken on a case by case basis

Living together is one aspect but can include situations where not being together through circumstances is recognised as being together if the couple see themselves as such

Another consideration is, no Department is keeping track of when this together officially begins

Guess that is where the flexibility comes in for the official to make a judgement as it seems to me Common Law Marriage only comes into play when problems arise with the arrangement

I agree with recording Births / Deaths for Government to keep number statistics for planning

Australia does a 4 yearly census for location of people for planning also

So keep Marriages in with Births / Deaths or split off into a new department?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I don't get what splitting it off into a new department accomplishes in your eyes.

Wouldn't it make more sense to concern oneself with the procedures, practices and integrity of the data than what building its in?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

More, for me, is a recognition of a changing society

Also a separate Marriage Department would, I think, help focus on legal issues which can be put forward for changes to be considered

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

are they recognized by taxation systems ?
    if the inland revenue recognize them as a couple.
    then they could be listed under common law recognized official non wed marriage etc
    people like to have family history which they can feel connected & a part of.
    its an important aspect for culture & personal self actualization in many cultures.

i think marriage needs to maintain its secular stance to prevent it being deified by any religious group to then use it as a weapon or enslavement

are you suggesting a new legal department ?
    why not just expand the existing one considering the massive lack of knowledge around death & inheritance issues

8. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

My understanding generally yes but not sure of the limitations. Have heard some situations where couples are better off (pension wise) if not a couple

That can still be mapped out

9. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i have heard this many times before
    the reason is because of free market rent prices being used as a means to house those on benefits
    its a poor trade off for an economic system because it forces people to break the rules & laws just to survive

10. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Always has been secular, church officials have to be secular approved to be marriage celebrants. The church pretends marriage in a church gives marriage a better whatever

NO. Expand the legal section within the Marriage Department

11. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

have you ever seen different people struggling to meet all the death legal & financial issues when a partner or family member die ?
    i have
    often
    its very upsetting
    confusing & expensive
    wastes a lot of time & money

making that easier by investing in government employees who specialize in that area would seem logical