Black Hole singularity?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Dinosaur, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

It seems to me that the notion of a singularity at the center of a Black Hole indicates a problems with the pertinent physics.

It implies infinite density.

Singularities & infinities strongly suggest a problem with almost any theory, although perhaps a universe infinite in extent might be an exception.

BTW: I do not know if current theory indicates the universe being to the universe being finite or infinite in size.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

GR is a classical theory and does not pertain at the quantum realm.
    Every theory has its base of applicability, outside of which it does not apply: Even a future validated QGT will probably have such limitations and reveal possible new levels of reality.
    Also a singularity in itself may not be infinite, but it does/can lead to infinite quantities such as density and spacetime curvature.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

From Paddoboy Post #2
    The above in response to my Post
    Paddoboy: I suspect that we are actually in agreement.

It is GR which predicts the singularity & GR which I am suggesting needs adjustment to avoid the singularity.

I think Quantum Theory predicts a size related to the wavelength of the mass at the center of the Black Hole.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SimonsCat Registered Member

Woah, hold on a minute there. Quantum theory is a special case of classical theory: some aspects of classical theory are expected to hold at the quantum level. As my friend Matti Pitkanen (creator of topological geometrodynamics) would say, ''don't fully quantize!''