Black holes may not exist!

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by RJBeery, Jan 24, 2014.

1. brucep Valued Senior Member

You're the king of word salad. That's saying something.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Well undefined, now that the truth is out, it's fairly obvious why you have objected to my posts, and explains your attitude towards alternative theories and the people that have put them [no matter how bizarre] in other threads.
    My insistence of the mainstream models and my many reputable links to it, my many mentions of why anyone with any model worthy of consideration would come to a science forum, rather than getting it properly peer reviewed, then criticism of peer review, all seem to point to extra baggage that you have possibly been carrying for a while now.
    All these you seem to have identified with....hence your anguish.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And of course undefined, James aligns with the proper mainstream position that has the majority of support here.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Undefined Banned Banned

What are you on about, mate? You're mistaking your own misrepresentations for what my posts actually and expressly state my motives/expectations of forum site discussions to be. All else seems to be your construction. Careful as you go, paddo, you know construction activity can be very dangerous for those who aren't paying proper attention to what is actually going on. Good luck.

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Undefined, really, I've grown weary of your bullshit.
    What I have said, I believe, OK?
    You and your agenda have been disclosed.

9. Undefined Banned Banned

And? I just solicited Jame's opinion on what he thinks of my mathematical "limits" treatment suggestion for resolving the impasse between ptzyk and Farsight (see posts #514 and #597, respectively). Unless you are now speaking FOR him as to that as well, then I suggest you concentrate on making your own scientific suggestions/arguments and leave others to speak and explain for themselves as the discussion progresses.

Your attempt to put your oar in to 'end discussion' just because you see yourself as the arbiter of what the end of the discussion will produce, is your preconclusionary agenda and not true scientific debate in any way shape or form.

PS:Are you and bruce et al trolling and baiting in order to bury the posts #514 and #597 so that przyk and James miss them? If so, please desist. Thanks.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  10. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Don't you want to at least have my math checked before you peddle me off to someone that has me on ignore?

I'm not feeling the love here, RealityCheck.

11. Undefined Banned Banned

And precisely what do YOU 'believe' my 'agenda' is, other than the honourable and legitimate ones already stated quite clearly and supported by the record so far?

PS: Mate, if you get your 'personal stuff/information' on that from the trolls, and start 'believing' what they claim as 'gospel', then you have greater problems than I thought. Good luck taking that route to 'scientific and objective truth', paddo.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

My references and links are all reputable...Yours?? Well you have yourself, not sure how you would label that. [a doubtful quantity??]

Interesting though, you have so much time for trolling, yet you claim to be working on some record breaking revelation in modifying GR.
    I suspect you have already been told its not worth the paper you have it written on.....

13. Undefined Banned Banned

I also read through here and other sites every day each morning and on breaks from my other work. If I can persuade you and others to stop cluttering up the discussions with trollish/irrelevant personal/repetitive stuff, then I would save more time than I have invested in trying to get you and others to stop doing that. I can only trust that this 'investment' of time and effort to appeal to your integrity and goodwill as a fellow Aussie and as a member of Sciforums will not be in vain.

I will be back to read-only for a while, starting tomorrow. See/read you tomorrow/later, paddoboy, everyone! NO hard feelings. G'night all.

14. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Ok, so attached is the long-awaited graph. It shows Farsight's equation in terms of what the remote observer sees happening to the infalling observer.

Arrogant, derogatory comments made while being wrong don't make you look any better. Clearly, from the graph, you can see that as the infalling observer approaches the event horizon, the time (for the remote observer) between ticks of the infalling observer's clock gets longer and longer. There is an asymptote at 1, which tells us the remote observer never sees the infalling observer reach the event horizon, he just sees him getting closer and closer. The graph tends toward infinity as this happens, but it also never reaches infinity, since infinity isn't a number.

The remote observer may see the infalling observer's clock freeze but only because it isn't precise enough to show the next tick: you can always repeat the experiment with a more precise clock and see it tick longer.

Indeed, you can also always detect the motion of the infalling observer as long as you can see him: he gets redder and redder as he approaches the event horizon, telling you clearly that he is still moving -- until he redshifts out of view.

Now I do have a quibble with brucep's description (and others who understand Relativity have said the same thing), but it is minor in that he's focusing on a different error of yours and Farsight's and glossing over this one, not being precise enough about what is observed. I'm quite certain that he understands that the infalling observer only sorta appears to freeze, but doesn't actually freeze. See:
    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/BlackHoles/fall_in.html

So you and Farsight say you agree with the math of GR, but the math plainly doesn't say what you say it says. No: you do not understand it.

I'm focusing on this error both because it comes first and because I think it is important on its own. But brucep's position is also valid: there is no good reason to prefer the remote observers observations, particularly because they "break" Relativity's first postulate that the laws of the universe are the same everywhere. And transforming to the infalling observer's coordinates makes the problem go away. Essentially, all this is telling you is that space is getting in the way of you seeing what is happening to the infalling observer - this does not imply that he doesn't pass the event horizon. It is - as the name implies - as if he's disappearing over the horizon. A similar thing happens with space expanding faster than the speed of light and not being able to see distant objects because of it: it doesn't mean they aren't there, it's just that their light isn't reaching us.

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I do realize you are not going to stop your trolling, obviously.....We all know forums such as this are the only outlets that the self claimed "Saviours of science" such as yourself have.

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Nice post Russ, and I like the analogy with the "Universe expanding FTL and distant galaxies".....I did already used the John Baez,.....Didn't appear to impress our nutbag friends though.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Undefined:

I haven't read the whole thread. Really I just jumped in to correct some errors that Farsight was making.

Since przyk knows his physics and Farsight doesn't really understand most of the physics he talks about, I can't see that their positions will be easy to reconcile using any approach.

I don't really know what your LIMITS approach is, or what LIMITS stands for. It's in ALL CAPS, so I assume it's an acronym of some sort.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  18. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Hopefully you just talk about this 'theory' to try and impress the ignorant, it would be really sad if you were actually living this fantasy. Here's to hoping...

19. Farsight

I'm not mixing anything up at all. Einstein said a clock kept at this place would go at the rate zero. Now think about your pulse. We could use it as a clock of sorts. Only if you were sitting at the event horizon, a clock kept at this place would go at the rate zero, so your pulse rate would be zero. Your brainwave rate would be zero too. So we're all watching you sitting there in front of a clock that isn't ticking, with your heart that isn't beating, and your brain that is flatlined. Have you seen that clock tick yet? No. Let's wait a billion years. Have you seen that clock tick yet? No. Let's wait a trillion years. Have you seen that clock tick yet? No. Do you get it get James? The idea that a stopped observer sees a stopped clock ticking normally, is a fallacy.

Not true. Curved spacetime is associated with Riemann curvature, see the depiction on wiki. That's associated with the tidal force. There's no detectable tidal force in the room you're in. But lift up a pencil, and let go: gravity is readily detectable. Curved spacetime is the second derivative of gravitational potential, see the plot here. You need the curvature to get your plot off the flat and level, but the local force of gravity relates to the local slope of the plot. Not how curved it is. For a very big black hole there's no discernible tidal force and no discernible spacetime curvature.

That will be the person with the zero heartrate, and the flatlined brain.

James, with respect, the waterfall analogy is misleading, it's wrong, it's pseudoscience junk peddled by celebrity quacks like Max Tegmark. A gravitational field is usually described as curved spacetime. This can be treated as inhomogeneous space, see http://iopscience.iop.org/0256-307X/25/5/014 and Einstein saying “empty space” in its physical relation is neither homogeneous nor isotropic. But in no sense is a gravitational field infalling space or spacetime. Space is not falling inwards in a gravitational field, regardless of whether we're talking about a black hole or planet Earth. General Relativity does permit Chicken Little gravity. The sky is not falling in.

But the coordinate speed of light is not. And the coordinate speed of light is important when we look to that favourite thing in relativity: the light clock. Imagine you place light clocks in an equatorial slice around the Earth. Now go and look at that depiction on the wiki Riemann curvature tensor page.

ETA:

I'm not making any errors. You are. Yes, przyk knows his physics, but he's learned it from a textbook. And the bottom line is this: it's wrong.

20. Farsight

Good stuff Russ. It's nice to see a sincere physics post amidst the clutter.

But you still don't get it. The math says what it says, and it says the infalling observer freezes. Bruce ducked and dived to avoid saying this. The error is in thinking a frozen observer sees his frozen clock ticking normally. He doesn't. He doesn't see anything. Ever. See my response to James above. Soon we will see some people here having their OhMyGod moment.

Brucep's position is not valid. The clock at the event horizon does not tick. So there is no coordinate system there. It's a corruption of relativity to assert that a coordinate system that does not exist is the equal of one that does.

It's a travesty of relativity to think you can "transform" coordinates such that a stopped clock isn't stopped any more. It's absurd to say a stopped observer sees a stopped clock ticking normally. It leads to patent nonsense like the elephant that goes to the end of time and back and is in two places at once.

It's telling us nothing of the sort.

21. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

oke: If m is a particle's mass, p is the momentum magnitude, and K is the kinetic energy, can you tell me why:

\(m=\frac{\text{pc}^2-K^2}{2 \text{Kc}^2}\)

He has me on ignore. So I wont ask him all my text book questions and enlighten me.

But I still like this opportunity of quoting the "Relativity+ guy."

22. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Proper velocity is celerity, or dx / d tau; it's distance traveled per time of the infaller's clock. This reaches c at the event horizon.

This discussion has forced me to study and appreciate the Kruskal diagram, and I'm conceding a point you made long ago about being unable to rescue BH infallers after arbitrary amounts of time because I understand it now.

You dismiss this, but claiming that a certain aspect of black holes is part of their definition simply implies to me that they don't exist today by definition. This is the heart of my point!

Let's discuss your infinite accelerator again, and I will shelve my infinite fuel objection; what was the premise here? If an observer linearly accelerated for eternity then there are certain events that he would never see?

23. brucep Valued Senior Member

You can't figure out anything I wrote down. Probably why you're still waiting Farsight. My position is there are no preferred coordinates. They're all equally valid. Your position is the Schwarzschild coordinates are preferred. The chart you keep referring to is charting the Schwarzschild remote bookkeeper coordinates. Your contention is that the Schwarzschild remote coordinates are the 'real' coordinates. LOL. You never explained why the Schwarzschild coordinates are preferred? You or RJBerry. Wasn't that what you were waiting to explain to me? You keep showing everybody Kevin Brown's chart on the Schwarzschild remote coordinates. Explain why the Schwarzschild chart is preferred over other coordinate charts? Come on quit keeping me in suspense.
    To bad AN isn't around he'd pummel you with his intellectual sledgehammer and send you off to sulk.