Books Are Better Than Movies

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by superstring01, Sep 3, 2010.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Nonsense, much of it reads like a history book. The Hobbit might have been good for that, but the trilogy, no way. Unless you want to put them to sleep. I enjoyed reading it myself when I was a young teen, but that's different.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

um...yeah, i am ccertain that is exactly what i was saying. Although not as drastic as comparing reading the book to a good film adaptation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Try it.

And you do, of course, want to put them to sleep. That means coming to a break in the story or the end of a chapter, if the book is being well received, and LOTR chapters are conveniently spaced among other virtues.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. stratos Banned Banned

Literary snobs are more tiresome than film buffs (or 'cineastes' as they like to be called) or musical snobs. Somehow books force you to plod on; indeed it's their duty to drag you along to the last page. A book, even a useless one, can take several days out of your life. Only if it's famously hard-going do you, in some quarters, have the perfect excuse not to bother with it.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

anybody excited to see "Girl with a Dragon Tattoo"? Or would it ruin the book for you?