Both Muslim AND Christian?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by sandy, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

So then isn't what you're doing simply invalidating the literal while trying to keep the spirit?

I understand the reasons, you don't have to repeat them. But I don't understand why you wouldn't call it invalidating.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Tylonius,

What do you think about rituals? Do you find them obcessive? Are they completely useless?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tylonius Honestly Misbehaving Registered Senior Member

Think of it this way: In 1543, Nicolaus Copernicus published De revolutionibus orbium coelestium (On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres), which sparked a revolution of science and the birth of modern astronomy. It also set the church on its ear, because religious dogma at the time maintained that the earth was the center of the universe. It even said so in the bible (Old Testament - Joshua and Ecclisiastes). To say that the earth revolved around the sun was blasphemy.

The fact that they were wrong didn't invalidate their belief, it just meant that they were wrong.

Moreover, it cleared the way for immanence, which is now a major tenet of both the Christian and Muslim faith (among others). It represented a major shift in Christianity from keeping their god at arms length to embracing him in all things.

Again, that change didn't invalidate their beliefs at all. It merely represented their evolution.

Finally, and most ironically, it later turned out that practically all of the details of Copernicus' observations were wrong. But you know, the earth still revolves around the sun, regardless.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tylonius Honestly Misbehaving Registered Senior Member

That depends on your faith, I suppose.

Personally, I don't go in for them, but I can see why others do.

8. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

This seems to be a very popular question, I even found myself wondering about the same question many years ago… I think you should look at the Bible the same way you look at nature, or how you look at a woman in a relationship…
    If you look at other people with a preconceived judgment, then you are focusing on the bad aspects of their personality from your perspective. And if you think about it, most people do this, focus on the “bad things” of others according to your standards. This is hypocrisy.
    If you keep this mentality of focusing on what you think is evil or wrong, then you will definitely miss the most important part of the person’s personality. You fail to see yourself in the position of others.
    If you keep focusing on what you think is “wrong or bad” on your partner, then you are trapped in the cage of your own judgments.

We need to learn to see the beauty in everything, in every living creature, see the good side of everyone’s personality; then you learn to have true love and compassion without discrimination. This is important for reading any book, and then it doesn’t matter if you read the Bible, the Koran or a normal novel, you can learn from everything if you look at it with compassionate eyes.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I agree with your sentiments. Now if only more people could see it this way. :shrug:

10. Tylonius Honestly Misbehaving Registered Senior Member

Hear, hear, Wisdom_Seeker!

11. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I didn't mention invalidating their belief which I'm sure remained strong as ever. I mentioned invalidating a part of the Bible. If you can so easily render obsolete one part, you can do the same for any part of it, or even the whole, no?

You start off with preconceived judgment. What is it that makes you think I have this when I look at the Bible? I read, and then I create an opinion. Not the other way around.

And I'm a little confused here. Are you telling me to ignore the bad for the good then, when it comes to the Bible or the Quran?

12. ahhh, my little friend, you are so wrong, your assumption is that cognates = each other. but they sometimes drift apart, you see if you understood the mormon concept of god, Jesus, heaven, etc...., they would be different in many ways, same word, different meanings, its like a jargon

http://spanish.about.com/cs/vocabulary/g/cognategloss.htm

which brings us to islam; question, does allah have daughters? in mormon belief, Jesus & satan are spirit brothers, conceived by Elohim, having sex with the mother goddess, isn't that how allah got his daughters?

http://www.dhushara.com/paradoxhtm/vale.htm
    what does all this prove?
    that allah was a pagan god, that was sanitized by Mohammad into a more monotheistic model for islam, but it kept many of the pre-islamic rituals, I mean, why change them? you already have a changed, cleaned up god

13. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Your prayers where in vain. And any supposed christian who prays with muslims are taking part in their blasphemy against God.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

14. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Sandy anti Christian bigotry is allowed in here, but it will be answered by the God in time.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

15. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

Not true!
    God welcomes all people to join together in prayer. It is man who embraces the "separate and divide" mentality..not God.
    Despite differences in faith they all do have that one common bond,right?
    God is not intolerant and petty as some would believe...these are negative qualities of humanity that stem from ignorance and have been applied to Gods' character by unscruplous people.
    Various faiths and beliefs are simply tools that all lead to the one God

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Where did you get this concept of God from and what makes you think it's true? How do you know the God of the Bible or the God of the Quran, which most certainly embraces the separate mentality, isn't 100% true?

17. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

From my own intuition,from reading hundreds of near-death experiences,from realizing that most religions have at their core beliefs "the God within concept"(the kingdom within), from realizing that when you mix the concept of God with people that have power it can usually lead to ..."let's use God to control people".

The thing is , I claim no absolutes when it comes to this matter..it's just my opinion, which is why I don't attempt to convert people to my line of thought.

18. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

The thing is not thinking about good or wrong here. Take what you find of value, dismiss what you feel not to be true.

If you look at the Bible and Quran, you will find a significant discrimination towards women. What I’m saying is that the words in the Bible and Quran were inspired by God, but are not the literal words of God. Female and male are not the same, but none is superior to the other, they have to be deal with differently, but never comparatively.
    In the OT, you can see how Eve came out of Adam’s rib, a freaking rib!! I would have given my spinal cord in order to see the first woman.

When the people brought that adulterous woman to Jesus, nobody ever asks: “Where the hell was the dude?”. She was committing adultery, with a man, but the man is never to judge? Only the woman? Why does God favors men? The answer is he don´t because God is either man or female. God is both.
    The answer my friend, is that those books were written by men, woman weren’t even allowed to read and write. The Bible and Quran were written by chauvinist men, and they need to be read from a neutral perspective.
    Now we know better don’t we? We know that women are not inferior, but even superior in many aspects. We need to read the scriptures knowing that it has the hand of men dealing with their own personal judgments.

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

By your logic, we shouldn't be reading scriptures at all, other than to understand how not to act.

20. sandy Banned Banned

God is not both. He is a he. He is the great I am. Not some wishy-washy androgynous god.

21. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

If that is the case, He would be chasing a Goddess all over the Universe, buying her nice Worlds and shit.

"He" and "She" are the manifestation of dualism in our realm, God is the unification of that dualism, God is one.

22. sandy Banned Banned

No. God has bigger and better things to do than chase a female around.

God is not a shemale. He is the great I am. He is God. God the Father. :worship:

23. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Then may the Goddess, our Mother, bless you