Brain power and IQ testing

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by brainmetrix, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Just tell me one thing.

How can someone with an IQ of, say, 105, rig up a test to accurately judge a person's IQ of 210 or 315? ( Newton's IQ has been estimated at over 300. ).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Not really. It would really be around 160-170... the same range as Einstein.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

that's all he had? me and my dad've tested at around 140, i find it hard to believe we common folk are only 20 away from einstein

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

It's not exactly linear... standardised IQ is assumed to follow a normal distribution with mean 100 and standard deviation 15. The further you get away from the mean, the faster the proportion of people more intelligent than that drops.

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well it also tends to depend on what you are good at, too.

Einstein was good at visualization. A "140" general IQ can be different from a "140" spatial IQ.

And from 120 or so on... the difference between IQs becomes greater and greater.

9. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Yes. If it was "linear" the bell curve could be a bit flatter.. and not as wide in the middle and very very thin towards the end.

10. brainmetrix Registered Member

That's right, many people have high verbal intelligence and when it comes to numeric - spatial they don't do that good. Females are known to have a higher verbal intelligence in average. While males score better in numeric intelligence.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. WhisperBlade Registered Senior Member

This test isn't highly accurate, as it merely tests your logical thinking. IQ test should include logic, reaction, and comprehension. Taking this at a psychologist or psychiatrist is far more accurate.

12. brainmetrix Registered Member

Yes you're right, new IQ tests have are trying to include many other new elements that were not included in tests before.

13. Kendall ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

I didden't do very good, 106. Math never did interest me though.

14. Kendall ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

Not that 106 is bad, I just thought I did better. That test cant tell a persons IQ, if I took it again I would get higher and the third time I would get it all right.

15. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Also, some people don't really understand what IQ is measuring, which is your intellectual age over your numerical age. So the standard test given to Americans takes into account a large amount of gathered data which plots where the average person would be at a certain age, and then sees how you compare to this, giving you a 'mental age'. So it is okay to get a lower score as you get older, people can start at 160 in thie childhood, and move down as they get older and their peers catch up to them, its not uncommon.

Or, I might be wrong

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Heres a website that further explains exactly what IQ is, IQ Shizzle

16. infoterror Registered Senior Member

Internet IQ tests are useless and I suspect you're a spammer. Sorry.

:m:

17. infoterror Registered Senior Member

As far as geniuses go, Einstein wasn't all that impressive... just oversold.

18. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

I think it's cultural. Lets say we based an IQ test on hunting Big Game in Africa. Who do you think will score higher? The locals who've grown acustomed to living and hunting Big Game. Or an American from the Suburbs?

19. valich Registered Senior Member

"Psychiatrists at the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) in Bethesda, Maryland, scanned the brains of more than 300 healthy children at different ages and gave them standard IQ tests. They found that the highest-scoring children had a delayed but prolonged growth spurt in the cerebral cortex."
    Science 31 March 2006, Vol. 311, no. 5769, p. 1851

20. infoterror Registered Senior Member

I've seen the same results, but one thing I've noticed: people under 130 always try to deny the validity of IQ tests. Why is this?

21. infoterror Registered Senior Member

But why would you base an intelligence test on a learned ability? The point of IQ tests is to abstractly test the capacity for knowledge and ability to think, not learned tasks.

:bugeye:

22. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

^Most IQ tests don't entirely remove learned abilities and things from experience. If you had some IQ test that measured say, reaction time in his hunting scenario using some physical thing, or a memory test that had involved remembering what you saw in a landscape, you'd have the people more accustomed to those things do better...

23. infoterror Registered Senior Member

Yes, but it wouldn't matter on which continent they'd done them, and any intelligent test would test aspects common to normal life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.