BRIC+ News & comments

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Billy T, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Just "permission" is not enough. Each child added is great increase in cost to the family. Much more so relative to their income than in the US. What the CCP must do and soon is financial reward for each child - say a 50,000 yuan birthday present on child's first birthday and huge increase in the availablity of free day care centers, so both parents can continue working.

This is sort of "helicopter money" that will stimulate the economy and replace the billions of yuan that once were dropped on the SOEs as stimulus to the export based economy China is now ending.

Here is why China needs the 2 child policy:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Going to, in one generation:

More discussion at: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...one-child-rule-too-little-too-late-for-growth

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

That university scholar needs to consider that few of those 90 million couples can afford to have a second child.
    As I said in first paragraph of post 922:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Part of why China trades more with EU than the US.

Caption was:
    "Premier Li Keqiang (L) holds a welcoming ceremony for German Chancellor Angela Merkel at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, Oct 29, 2015"

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

* That may be more of "prosperity index" than a GDP index, but even correcting for inflation of a few percent, > 10% annual increase in liquid wealth is not bad, and helps China make a faster transition to a consummer lead economy.

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Listed below are China's “big 10” from: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2015-09/16/content_21886983.htm
    {But they would not stand a chance in the US's big 10 football league.}

China builds about 766 million tons of vessels annually, accounting for 45.1 percent of the world's total and triple the average per 1,000 people in other parts of the world each year. See photo at end and nine more at above link.

produces about 1.8 billion tons of coal (oil equivalent) annually, making up 48.2 percent of the world's total. Its per capita production is also triple the average of other parts of the world.

Pork bred by China contributes 49.8 percent of the total worldwide, hitting 1.5 million tons annually. That means for each person in China 40 kilograms are produced annually, six times rest of the world's average.
    {That is 1.7 pounds / week - they love their pork. They eat their weight of pork every year! Still feeling sorry for the poor starving Chinese?}

China annually produces 1.8 billion tons of cement, which accounts for 60 percent of the world’s supply. Per capita production is more than six times the average of other parts of the world.

The number of shoes made in China annually reaches 12.6 billion, making up 63 percent of the world's total. Its per capita production stands at 10 pairs, about eight times the average of other parts of the world.

China makes about 70.6 percent of global mobile phones, 1.77 billion annually. Per capita phone production is 10 times the average of other parts of the world.

Overall {energy generation} capacity of solar cells hits 21.8 million kW annually, 80 percent of the world total.

The country's 4.3 billion energy-saving lamps {compact fluorescent} account for 80 percent of the global total, with each person producing 3.2 lamps annually - 16 times the average of other parts of the world.

China makes 80 percent of the world's air conditioners - that's 109 billion annually. Per capita production is 17 times the average of other parts of the world.

China produced 286.2 million personal computers in 2014, accounting for 90.6 percent of the world's total. The per capita production was 40 times the average of other parts of the world.

Billy T notes: Only the shoes still reflect the “low value added sweat shop labor” China was known for two decades ago.

Link has an interesting photo, like one below, for each of these 10 areas where China dominates the world.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Do you read anything other than Chinese state propaganda?

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Yes, I also look at the photos given with that "propaganda" but you must think they are all just "photo -shopped" -false propaganda too.
    Can you at least show one claim is false - I.e. is just propaganda, not fact.

I think not as your implied claim that the the big ten facts are false still smells from the rectal place you pulled it out of (even thru the internet).
    It appears that ChinaDaily did not even originated the big ten claims - they came from the International Business Times; but the true originator was two US banks - read the fine print in lower right hand corrner of the long graphic below.

My computer was one of the >90% made in China. Where was yours made?

Old Chinese saying (I just made up): "A head in the sand is more dangerous that one seeing the truth."

Later, by edit: I briefly looked to find non-Chinese support for these ChinaDaily's published claims, but stopped as the burden of showing them false "propaganda" is yours. I did however notice N0 11:
    " China also manufactures 90% of the world's containers." here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipping_industry_of_China
    I also noted here http://www.theatlantic.com/china/ar...minance-in-manufacturing-in-one-chart/278366/ the following that confirms most of the "big ten" facts:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  12. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Interesting article / POV on TPP by the President of the Hong Kong Manufactures Association, Eddy Li:
    Also of interest, and part of China's bid to be part of the IMF's SDRs is: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...irect-conversion-between-yuan-and-swiss-franc - - Direct free swaping of yuan and S. Franks means in two steps, the yuan is freely convertible into ANY currency now.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well here is the thing BillyT, you are responsible for vetting your sources. It isn't the responsibility of others to do it for you. One of your problems BillyT is you don't vet your sources. You just blindly accept whatever a source tells you if it comports with your beliefs or the memes you are selling. Let's look at the pork production claims. You claim China produced 49.8% of all pork produced in the world. Here is what your China Daily didn't report. China doesn't produce enough pork to satisfy its demand/need for pork. The US, EU, and Canada export 82% of world pork exports and most of those exports go to China.

Here is another thing your China Daily conveniently forgets and won't tell you. Yes, a large percentage of electronic goods are produced in China. But this is what China Daily will never tell you. That production only exists because Western countries have created production facilities in China to take advantage of cheap Chinese labor where wages are low, working conditions are poor, and environmental protections are virtually nonexistent and in some cases complicit in fraud (e.g. Lumber Liquidators). The companies who own that Chinese production and are responsible for that production are not Chinese. They are American, European, Canadian, or Japanese. And most of the remaining Chinese owned companies are knockoffs of companies created and headquartered in the West (e.g. Alibaba).

A ranking of press freedom by Reporters Without Borders ranks China near dead last in press freedom, just below Iran and Vietnam. Only 5 countries had less press freedom. That's pretty bad and that is pretty difficult to candy-coat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

When you sort through the fluff, China is still manipulating its currency. China is and has lobbied hard and long to be given special drawing rights privileges of that there is no doubt. Whither that lobbying will be successful remains to be seen. Personally, I think it foolish, especially now when China is threatening its neighbors and the US with military aggression in order to expand its borders and refusing to recognize the authority of the World Court.

Were you not the person touting and celebrating China's alternative to the IMF and World Bank, a bank which would compete with and ultimately become the demise of the World Bank and the IMF? If that were so as you claimed then, why is China so desperate to have its currency receive special drawing rights privileges from the IMF?

15. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

No I quoted ChinaDaily as saying that. They in turn, without giveing credit (They plagerized), from either the International Bussiness Times or The Atlantic's article - I can not tell which. Both of them, where these very same facts (for 2011 production) do come from do give credit to the true originators: A report by Bank of America / Merrill Lynch called: "Not so Trivial Facts" that was editied by David Ciu.

Thus all the facts came from US source(s) that few would dispute as you do. - Call them just "propaganda." True, I did not trace these facts back to their US origin, until you questioned them and called them "Chinese Propaganda."

I read the China Daily English version almost every day, often quote from it as not once has any article I quoted later proven to be false. You, in knee-jerk fashion, pulled your statment that these facts are false out of your smelly rectal loction with no supporting evidence.
    One thing is certain - China Daily only plagarized from US sources, did not invent these fact.

One thing that may help resolve the conflict between this US data and the US sources you quoted, is different meaning for "Chinese produced." China produces a lot of pork in the US where corn is much cheaper and ships good part of it to China.* About three years ago China bought Smithfield Hams - the largest producer of pork products in the USA (and several smaller ones too) Smithfield Hams is fully vertically integrated - they grow their own corn, keep breeding sows, slauter pigs, package pork products and even deliver them to regional distribution centers.

* That is just smart economics - Shipping a pound of frozen pork is a lot cheaper than several 100 pounds of corn (or more) the pig would eat before of becoming fat enough to kill in China.

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I have noticed you are a loyal and avid reader of the China Daily. If the China Daily is guilty of plagiarism, then you should be able to prove it. Which gets me to the point, why would the China Daily want to plagiarize? Citing other sources makes the data more credible. And you missed the point, the information not reported by the China Daily, is just as important, if not more so that the information which it does report. What both you and China are doing is spinning. That's propaganda. You and your beloved China are not being honest.

I didn't challenge the actual data extracted from the China Daily. I just noted it was incomplete and misrepresented and I explained why. And when you look at the complete picture a much different picture emerges. The facts you and your beloved China Daily like to ignore are just as important, if not more so, than the facts you and your China Daily so love. Facts matter BillyT - all of them, not just the ones you like.

And you don't get points or ad hominem.

And the fact China purchased a US hog producer doesn't change the numbers, it's still a product of the US and a US export. Using the logic you are attempting to inflict, all those computer products made in China by US owned companies (e.g. Apple, Dell, HP, etc.) are not Chinese exports. That's silly. That isn't how it works.

17. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

From above photo, looks like jobs are going to Chinese too, even in the US.

Interesting to note another sign of rapidly increasing per capita wealth in China (in addtion to quote in post 925's 13.1 % annual increase in pocket money and bank deposits) that is reflected in Chinese per capita pork consumption:
    2002 - 70 pounnds
    2012 - 86 pounds - Now (2014) more than 40Kg and more than the average Chinese weights! I.e. they now eat their weight in pork, their favorite meat, annually!

Yes the average Chinese, unlike the average Ameican, is living ever "higher on the hog." In the US we have the woman telling Obama, that it had gotten so bad her family's protien now was "franks an beans" not steaks as it once was. - That is what Chinese salaries growing in purchasing power by double digits annually for last five years will do.

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I did, twice already. Look at the small print in the lower right hand corner of long graphic in post 928. That tells the original source is report by Bank of America / Merrill Lynch called: "Not so Trivial Facts"

How many times must I tell your this - Three now should be enough.

Also, correcting myself: the 5 billion dollar company China bought is called "Smithfield FOODS, not hams. They grow in US many tons of chickens that are shipped to China too. Even the feet and lower legs, which in China are considered a chewy delicacy. There is no accounting for what is a delicacy - The French think snails are. The Japanese, certain sea weeds, and toxic fish, etc. are.

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

LOL, are you suggesting that picture was taken in the US?

That picture was obviously taken in China.

As an aside, the US is approaching what is known as "full employment" per last weeks release of US unemployment numbers.

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

And do you have a link, a date? Your "reference" is not very specific.

And how many times must you be told, that isn't the issue? The issue is the data you and your beloved China Daily omitted in order to render an incomplete and misleading impression.

Ok, you are correcting your previous posts, but that isn't material. It doesn't change any of the relevant facts. The name of the company isn't relevant. That's why I never referenced the company by name.

21. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

SinglesDay sales hit 15 BILLION dollars - huge increase from last year's 9.3 billion dollars. Here is why:
    Also why Retail sales "beat expectations climbing 11 percent in October" as first quote states, despite industrial output (sort of measure of items for export) was lowest since 2008.

China's transition to a consumer led, rather than export led, economy is going well.
    With three times as many consumers and growing ~4 times faster than the US, China is the future.

True the Chinese are not with the niceties of western society, like nearly free speach, voting for their national leaders, etc. but for one who when young remembers his grand mother starving to death so he would get the little rice they had, that is not so important as full bellies and prosperty. The average Chinese now eats his weight in pork each year, and loves the CCP for this great change.
    [/B]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  22. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Population of China is more four times that of the US, but in prior post, I only claimed China had three times more customers. This is because a larger fraction of China's population is rural, uninterested in styles, and relatively self sufficient. Not into "shopping" for the "latest and greatest."

I should note that China's singles day 2015 total sales probably were higher than 15 billion (>19 billion?) as only on-line via Alibaba they were 14.3 billion - not counted are in store sales or other on-line centers. (Direct store internet accounts)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  23. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Resource hungry China is paying more attntion to resource rich Africa than any "western nation" is. China operates with a longer term time horizon than the western nations do - a 50 year plan made of 10 five year plans. Admittedly the more distant ones are in general terms only that get their details ever more filled in as they come closer to the present.