Bush vs Kerry Debate 3 : Final Debate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ElectricFetus, Oct 14, 2004.

?

Who won this last Debate?

1. Bush

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. Kerry

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. Neither/tie

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Did not watch/don’t know/don't care.

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Antiwar is winning, people are starting to think in ways that herald an age when large-scale warfare is widely understood to be dependably suppressed by over-arching (and underpinning) economic forces. I think Americans are going to start learning very fast. Fear (of poverty) is a great motivator.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

You're correct about the polls. I think this is because most people only really watched the first debate and, when questioned, assumed he'd won the rest whether they watched it or not.

For once, I agree with Mr. Atta. If Bush had performed the way he did in the last debate in the first debate, Kerry would be toast right now. As it is, he's still in the race. I still think Kerry will go down to an ignimonious 48 state defeat. We shall see soon enough. One things for sure, I'll be there bright and early to cast my vote and my wife and I will be helping to get out the Republican vote.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Undecided Banned Banned

And which state will that be in?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

8. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Given the popularity of 50 Cent, wrestling, the huge jacked up station wagons known as SUVs, and Britney Spears, it would be diffucult to lower my opinion of many of my fellow Americans. But electing Bush really could.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Undecided Banned Banned

But electing Bush really could.

In the end it will genius' like madanthonywayne and his intrepid wife that will secure that America falls off the wagon, and into the vile, and disgusting world that we call reality. Re-electing Bush may be what America needs to realize that it is not all it thinks it is. Oh and I wouldn’t travel the world liberally if I were an American. Because a re-election of Bush would transcend Anti-Bushism into real and just as passionate Anti-Americanism. Also Europe will say thank you to Mad, and his cohorts for destroying American power so irreversibly that it would become the world’s superpower along with China. Don’t believe me? http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=41576 says it all. History has always depended on the will of the ignorant to fulfill its repetitive destiny. I thank you in advance Mad, and you wife.

10. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Remember, Bush is a candidate for election, not re-election. Have to be elected in order to be re-elected.

11. Undecided Banned Banned

The question you have to ask yourself which is the real election? You’re voting or the electoral college? Where does democracy actually exist in the US?

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Democracy exists within the states. The federal arrangement is not a democracy.

You never vote "as an American" in this country. You only vote as a citizen of your state or below. The tallest point of the heirarchy from which I will cast a vote will be as a Washingtonian, not as an American.

13. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

i dont see how any of these countries can claim to be democracies.

in a democracy, a newborn would be able to vote
    the insane would be allowed to vote
    criminals would be allowed to vote

now this is obviously a stupid idea, so the solution, stop calling yourself a deomcracy

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Not necessarily. Newborns and the insane are unable to consent to be governed. Criminals have severed their part in the social contract.

15. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

but a democracy is simply a government where the people have the power. by using the term 'the people' it is implying all of the people, no exceptions

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Democracy is not coercion. One must choose to participate in the democratic process; thus, the consent of the governed. There is a legitimate question about how we treat convicts in this country, but I'm of the opinion that while you're in prison, you're in prison. You don't have the right to bear arms, you don't have the right to free speech; I don't see why the right to vote is inherent for a convicted felon. Of course, I draw a firm line on parole or release: once you're out, you're back in the world. This thing with preventing ex-cons from voting is just ridiculous.

17. Undecided Banned Banned

In some states you have to vote by law, so democracy is not always a voluntary action.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Which states here in the USA require you to vote???

19. Undecided Banned Banned

I mean states like Australia, should have been more clear.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

aah cuz I wish it was required here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Then Saddam Hussein was legitimately re-elected by 99% of the Iraqi people.

Or, to be more specific, "Then it's not democracy".

It's a hard word to live up to.

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Source: New York Times
    Link: http://nytimes.com/2004/10/17/opinion/17beschloss.html
    Title: "Debating Your Way To Defeat"
    Date: October 17, 2004

From the opinion page of the New York Times, Michael Beschloss considers the modern history of the televised presidential debate.

• Beschloss, Michael. "Debating Your Way to Defeat". New York Times, October 17, 2004. See http://nytimes.com/2004/10/17/opinion/17beschloss.html

23. Undecided Banned Banned

INteresting article on John Kerry:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/10/17/news/edkerry.html