Buying OLED TV

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Saint, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

If you have enough money, buying an OLED TV, any advantage from normal 4K TV?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

What is "normal?"

Flatscreens fall into three general categories nowadays - LCD, OLED and QLED. LCD's are like "light shutters" - they open and close and allow light from the backlight through or not. (Confusingly, they can have either fluorescent or LED backlights.) OLEDs are arrays of tiny LED's that turn on and off to provide light - no backlight. QLED is a misnomer; they are not light emitting diodes, but rather quantum dot filters that allow or block light from a backlight, usually from an LED. So they are somewhat like an LCD, but much more effective.

OLEDs give you the blackest blacks and the brightest picture. QLEDs can have better color saturation.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

great ad !
    if i was rich i would have one already

will you buy before the tariffs come on in 3 weeks & price goes up by 20% ?

that will be an extra $1100.00 US$ by march 1st

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saint Valued Senior Member

how about LG Super UHD?

8. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

different technology

are you buying because you want the best
    or
    are you buying because you want the best value for money ?

UHD probably gives best value for money around the end of this year when they should drop the price by another 20%. maybe some places will clear stock and offer bigger discounts of up to 40% just to get show room space.
    that will be when best value for money happens.

OLED technology with the combined added latest new technology of smaller LED's means this is their premium model.
    dont expect the price to come down soon as their is unlikely to be anything that will be better than this for at least 2 years maybe 4 years.
    price will probably discount with inflationary adjustment from year end to year end but the over all price probably wont drop in a major way because normally the technology is outdated within 1 year.
    in this case, it probably wont be out dated for at least 3 or 4 years.

that is my brief opinion without getting into heavy study.

9. Saint Valued Senior Member

I want the best technology

10. Saint Valued Senior Member

OLED and QLED, or Super UHD.
    With Android apps pre-installed.

11. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

is inside
    is old tech

only 1 option
    QLED which has the super UHD tiny LED's technology which has the OLED which is the ultra black effect to make all colours
    QLED having the extra white is a market edge plus the luminous layer.

only 1 real choice.
    QLED curved screen or flat screen ?
    answer = big curved screen QLED
    price range probably around $5,000.00 US$

12. Saint Valued Senior Member

China Hisense is cheaper, worth to buy?

13. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

no way !

considering the technology of the special layer is materials science technology, the other company would have needed to steal it to get it.
    or... they have tried to copy it from buying one and pulling it apart.

the developer of the new technology usually has the best version(they have tested the little problems and things that might conflict with other computer parts, and will also stand behind their premium product)
    that is the rule.
    that rule is rarely ever broken.

because money is not an issue, you can afford to pay the extra to know all the other parts are made correctly and up to a quality level, rather than quality pushed down to meet a price level.

this is not always the case but in the majority it is.

never buy from a company that wont stand behind the quality of their product.

14. Saint Valued Senior Member

If I plan to change TV every 3 years, I don't mind buying a cheaper brand.

15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

look at apple cell phones
    apple laptops
    tablet computers
    cars

how much new technology comes out in 3 years time ? almost nothing.

knowing how technology is likely to change and what is new and what is possible Vs what is impossible or fakes and fraud by people or companys is the important thing.

new tiny LED
    new black colour depth and colour sharpness
    Q special Layer to convert light translucency which increases the effectiveness of the new black colour depth etc...

these are probably it.
    the other big differences are better faster cables that connect everything with more expensive metal and special cooling devices.

all the other new technology for the next 5 years is only going to be silly things like being able to share the screen with your facebook profile and watch tv and or a movie at the same time etc while acting as a central hub for your home house computer etc...
    all attachments that wont be new technology.
    just current and old technology added to existing things then fraudulently sold(selling a feeling and then attaching a product to the feeling instead of new technology) as new ideas.

that is how the market works
    thats why market saturation(access) is critical.

QLED
    and keep it for about 5 years
    though, you will be getting cheated on all the internal computer parts and cables.
    they could easily make an external computer to run the TV like a little box and have its own cooling system which would make it even better. but most customers cant think smart enough to use many modern technology ideas.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  16. billvon Valued Senior Member

You are not comparing apples to apples.
    OLED, QLED and LCD (with FL or LED backlight) are three types of TV.

Super UHD, 4K, WXGA, 8K - these are resolutions, not types of TV.
    The Samsung QLED 8K TV is now selling for about $15K.

17. Saint Valued Senior Member

TCL, Hisense they offer UHD smart TV with attractive prices.
    Up to 65".

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, you can get attractive prices or the best technology. Not both. (BTW size is the worst way to compare TV's.)

19. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

you ask question
    which helicopter(latest technology TV) is the best ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

then you ask if this will be a good option instead

all 3 can carry your grocery's.

20. Saint Valued Senior Member

I cannot afford helicopter.

21. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Currently would put the state of things as:
    OLED - best picture quality, darkest blacks, but most expensive.
    QLED - great picture quality, cheaper than OLED
    LCD - last generation, but cheapest.

Obviously you need to take the manufacturer into account, as individual ranges of TVs will vary considerably. A good QLED will look better than a poor OLED, for example.

Basically, just demo a TV, and if you like it and can afford it, and can't find anything better at the price you're willing to pay, get it.

As for UHD or 4K... personally I find HD sufficient for my viewing pleasure, even at 120" from c.14 feet viewing distance. The blacks of my LCD projector aren't great but contrast is reasonable, and in the middle of a film you wouldn't be aware of the weakness unless comparing side by side.
    Yes, better def will appear sharper, but as one gets older one's vision naturally tends to soften the image due to poor eyesight, so the HD suits me. Upscaled SD is more than acceptable for me as well. Anything above HD seems just an extravagance at the moment.
    But hey, if money no object...