Calculus AP test

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by theonlyguyever, May 8, 2003.

1. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

"get to" you just show up and pay 80 bucks

i got my scores back, 4 on calc, 3 on physics

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. string theorist Registered Member

It is more embarrassing then i had imagined! I am the only failure! (Everyone in my cal. class passed). The multiple choice problems weren't so hard...But section B was the part that killed me...Shells and washers.. argghhhhs! I appreciate your sympathy, as it is hard to feel any from my laughing friends.

-tim

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. tempusme Registered Senior Member

how many people paid for their AP tests?

my school system pays for it - if you promise to show up.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

My school (well, I graduated... no longer "mine) pays for it if you take the AP class. You are required to take the test if you complete two full semesters. If you drop the first semster, you are not required and if you want to take it, you must pay.

8. string theorist Registered Member

Dang. You guys had your tests paid for? That sucks for me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. At my school, they only covered your tests if your income is way below standards.

9. Nivao Ghost of Mirkwood Registered Senior Member

???

Um...

Where did you go to school? :bugeye:

-niv

10. string theorist Registered Member

Irvine, CA. Almost everyone pays for his/her tests. I guess that's how College Board and ETS get rich.

11. malkiri Registered Senior Member

Our school system required us to take the AP tests for AP classes we took, and paid for them.

12. Upquark Registered Senior Member

Wow. You guys don't know how lucky you are. Your school PAYS for the AP exams. My goodness. My high school was trying to do away with them because of the few hours of study sessions we would schedule befroe the tests.

BTW. I just got my scores back and I ended up w/ a 4 in PHYS a 3in Calc, a 3 in Chem, a 3 in Eng lit, and a 2 in Euro Hist.

Those tests were most of the contents of my savings.

13. lethe Registered Senior Member

at my HS, the school paid for the AP exams. only catch is, if you take the AP class, you have to take the exam. my teacher said that average scores went up after they implimented that policy.

you know something else my high school did? if you finished all the courses they offered in a subject, then they would pay for you to go to college to take more in the subject. which i did. so i ended up finishing calc 1-4, plus abstract algebra, analysis, linear algebra, all before i graduated high school. it was cool as hell.

plus, i got to leave school whenever i wanted. i would just tell the attendance office "i have to go to my college courses". but then i would go drink beers in the parking lot with my degenerate buddies.

ahh... high school... those were the days.

14. string theorist Registered Member

Hey lethe,
    that is way too awsome. You practically finished all the required math courses! Dang!!! I'm retaking Cal I. Wish me luck guys. College starts in two weeks for me. Embry-Riddle Aeronautical Univ, here i come!

15. lethe Registered Senior Member

yeah, i was really lucky with the opportunity i got. i finished my math major my freshman year, and started taking grad courses in math, and picked up two more majors and a minor along the way.

pretty damn cool.

good luck with your calc 1 course, string theorist. i sort of envy you, college is a fun time and you re just starting. no, wait, actually, grad school is a fun time too.

16. string theorist Registered Member

wow. so you ended undergraduate studies with 3 bachelor degrees?

and thanks dude. btw...there are more math classes in grad school? darn. i was hoping that once i finished undergraduate studies, graduate school would only be theorizing...hrm.

17. lethe Registered Senior Member

yep.
    more math classes? well that depends onwhat you go to grad school for. i am in grad school for physics, but i take math classes, because i want to be a mathematician or more precisely, a mathematical physicist, but my advisor, who is a string theorist even, is always telling me not to take so many math classes. of course if you go to grad school for math, then you will take nothing but math classes.

as for theorizing, well, realize that your first year or two, you will still have to take classes. you have to take a qualifier exam to continue to show that you have learned your stuff in your classes, then a preliminary which is often an oral exam, where you prove that you are ready to start your research. then you can start "theorizing". finally, you have to defend your research, and if they find it acceptable, you are a doctor.

i have passed the qual, but not the prelim.

note: that the format can vary from uni to uni some places don t have a qual, or their qual is oral too. my qual was written. also, i know one guy from a school where they have the same exams, but they switched the names qualifier and preliminary.

18. Dapthar Gone for Good. Registered Senior Member

Not to pry, (and feel free to ignore this if you want to) but would you mind mentioning what fields the other 2 degrees were in? I have a guess, but I would like to see if it is correct.

Also, was it required that you Math GRE in addition to the general one to get into Physics grad school?

Firstly, I find it ironic that a string theorist is advising Physics students to take less Math classes, when that field is possibly the most Mathematically demanding in all of Physics.

Secondly, I would just like to mention that I have seen some schools where going to grad school in Math still has the Mathematical Physicist track.

Note: If you plan to go to grad school in Math, some of the classes that other majors might take when they get into grad school become required as an undergraduate, like (Intro)Topology, Advanced Functional Analysis, and Abstract Algebra classes. Also, most of the beginning Master's level courses are available for you to take as an undergraduate.

Just to give you a preview, here are some of the Math classes you might find at the graduate level.

MS Intro to PDE's
    MS Intro Stochastic Processes
    MS Differential Geometry
    MS Real Analysis *
    MS Complex Analysis *
    PhD Theory of PDE's
    PhD General Algebra
    PhD Measure Theory
    PhD Dynamical Systems

* = Has an PhD level parallel, usually the Master's level class is a prerequisite for it.

The testing system lethe mentioned is the only one that I have heard of, I find it odd that anywhere would let someone take the PhD preliminary before the qualifier test.

Well, if it's any consolation, there are no "general requirements" like at the undergraduate level, you just take classes in your major.

19. lethe Registered Senior Member

math, physics, and CS. plus a minor in classics (ancient greek and latin).

of course not. you don t need to know math to do physics. but i did take the math GRE anyway. i think i did better on the math GRE than the physics.

once someone asked him how much math one needs to do string theory. his reply was, that s like asking how much beer it takes to get drunk. i guess it doesn t take much beer to get him drunk, but it takes me a lot. i think he would rather i just got to a research area as quickly as possible, rather than spending semester after semester learning in the classroom. you can t publish anything if you re too busy learning.
    yeah? maybe that s what i should have done. oh well, too late now.

20. nifty_keen Registered Member

Does anyone know which questions are normally the same for AB/BC? (I suppose we can't really figure it out, as we're not allowed to discuss specific questions, but I assume it's something standard.)

I took the BC version this morning (It was amusing - the administrator put AB and BC students on opposite sides of the room.) My very first AP! Unfortunately, unlike most of the seniors who are planning on retaking calc in college anyway, I'm a freshman and kind of have to do well so I can take courses at a local college next year. Ah well. Only a few months!

21. nifty_keen Registered Member

oops, wrong thread, sorry.

22. nifty_keen Registered Member

Does anyone know which questions are normally the same for AB/BC? (I suppose we can't really figure it out, as we're not allowed to discuss specific questions, but I assume it's something standard.)

I took the BC version this morning (It was amusing - the administrator put AB and BC students on opposite sides of the room.) My very first AP! Unfortunately, unlike most of the seniors who are planning on retaking calc in college anyway, I'm a freshman and kind of have to do well so I can take courses at a local college next year.

23. nifty_keen Registered Member

I took the BC version this morning (It was amusing - the administrator put AB and BC students on opposite sides of the room.) My very first AP! Unfortunately, unlike most of the seniors who are planning on retaking calc in college anyway, I'm a freshman and kind of have to do well so I can take courses at a local college next year .