California wildfires - updates

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by wegs, Oct 29, 2019.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Two weeks ago?? here in Northern New South Wales nearly lost one house (bush cabin) the fire was stopped literally feet away and all I lost was a cement mixer. The other place ( other family member) where I have my van and observatory was under threat but thankfully the fire didn't get here. But we worked day in day out clearing fuel on the ground.
    My nephew's house was nearly taken and at his other place on the river he lost a camper van and a boat, trailer and motor..
    And I can tell you being in the path and wondering (worrying) about your house that you can't get to is not nice at all.

So I really feel for the folk over your way.
    Alex

wegs likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I think of what I'd do in a mandatory evacuation situation such as this - knowing my house could be consumed by an inferno, and I may return to ''nothing.'' I'd like to think that I'd have the mindset of ''well, it's all just stuff anyway...stuff can be replaced.'' But, some ''stuff'' is sentimental, and while memories are stored in our minds, it would be heartbreaking to lose an entire house worth of valuable, tangible items that spark beautiful memories.

But, in such a crisis, I'd be grateful to be alive. Maybe you don't have much time to really think about it all, honestly, when you're told to evacuate ...immediately.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

The best course of action is probably not to build in such areas in the first place. The same applied to flood zone and building on the edge of cliffs.

wegs likes this.
  8. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Haven't been affected here in San Mateo county.

Truck Captain Stumpy and wegs like this.
  9. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

We ( back when it was we, and a little one so it was us ) put most everything in a shed to work on the house. The house was saved ( same one nearly lost above) but everything that we owned in the shed was lost. It was a shock, a loss etc but as you say its just stuff and you start all over collecting junk. It not a big deal.
    Alex

10. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

But I like Australia.
    Alex

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yea, I’m surprised that certain areas aren’t prohibited from allowing home construction. Hmm.
    I’m glad, kx000. Thx for checking in.
    Is it true that the spiders there are huge?

12. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Is a Dingo Australian!

wegs likes this.
  13. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

the fires are horrible... I am hoping, however naively, that there will be a full investigation at the conclusion
    this right here is the reason firefighters have a job, to be honest.
    glad to see you're OK!

good advice, but not always feasible. (see: Snowbird season in Florida)

I've had this happen without a natural disaster. I feel your pain.

Xelasnave.1947 and wegs like this.
  14. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

The one I ride is not so huge.

The spiders are not that big but we do have a couple that are deadly.

When that fire got all our stuff my best mate came out to have a look around and was bitten by a white tail spider...usually they don't kill you ...it's worse than that...but after some suffering over a month he died...and as they do in those cases he was pronounced dead.
    So it was a bad time..it was then that I got into astronomy...I needed something as I was rather down...so needed to look up.
    Alex

15. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

LMFAO
    we prefer to ride chickens...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

size is such a subjective issue!
    the wife saw a Tarantula migration near our house once. She was rather freaked out at the size of the spider (she's never been up close to one as she's afraid of them). I'll admit they're fair-sized here compared to the Black Widow, but I had just come from Central America where they had spiders the size of Shaquille O'Neal, so I wasn't worried so much! LOL

Sorry to hear that.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I think you’re possibly just used to them, X. Lol They look huge to me. The woodman spider?? Nooo thank you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  17. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Here in the Great White North we've had a couple of inches of snow since the weekend, so wildfires are at a minimum and the spiders are keeping their heads down.

wegs likes this.