Can animals reach enlightenment?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Why?, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

I like the faith in animals.

I did also notice that for you enlightenment is a state of perpetual peace. I am not sure that is what I am seeking or hope for. I can imagine how that might be an element, but those are not the first words that come to mind for me. It sounds like it lacks a certain dynamism, a facet of life I truly enjoy and look forward to.

But whether you agree or not, it does seem important to note that you have defined enlightenment in a way that some might not agree with.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Frud11 Banned Banned

Enlightenment is supposed to be a state of knowing, a realisation that you are in fact, enlightened, isn't it? Or is it that light comes out your eyes? Have any of you ever had an enlightening or apotheotic experience? Has some celestial choir or some muse sung to you or what?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No and I truly belief that it isn't possible either. The definition as given by Grantywanty seems to imply that to be 'enlightened' is just to be your self.
    Animals are themselves, there is no doubt about that. But humans seem 'screwed up' by things as culture and expectations. Therefor I don't think it's possible for a human to truly be him-/herself if that person has grown up in society. Even people like Feral children, that are as close to nature as humanly possible, are not truly enlightened because they too are subject to the influence of expectation and 'culture' of the animals they grew up with.
    Human society has grown too alienated from nature for a person be become truly 'enlightened' in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Yorda Registered Senior Member

It's impossible to be something else than yourself, but you can think you can. Enlightenment is when you stop thinking.

"And when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone; and they were afraid to come nigh him." Exodus 34:29-35

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You mean when you are dead..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Yorda Registered Senior Member

We can't think, we only think we can.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Right.. and how is that not contradicting !?

11. Frud11 Banned Banned

You mean when your ego, your sense of self disappears? A dispersal that is also a merging with "the all", or something like that?

12. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

One day Dogs will revolt and kill us all. You think i'm joking? No. This is my own form of enlightenment. Just look back at history and see if there has ever been any form of enlightenment without opposition ressurrection and chaos, rampage, and oppression. Ala French Revolution-Democracy. What about the movie Jurassic park, where scientists (remember those guys that always seem to know what they are absolutely doing) tried to do the incredible when they created enlightened reptiles. Every movie where scientists have created relatively safe and intelligent animals, the movie always ends with some guy crawling away with the rest of his limb into a medical rescue unite team helicopter. And yes, they always use the word "safe", you be the judge.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

But.. but.. I thought dogs are man's best friend..

14. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

If by stopping thinking it means the verbal muttering in my brain is silent, well that happens a lot and it certainly does not mean I merge with the all.

15. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

We can expend a tremendous amout of energy trying to suppress and contort who we are. We can be split and at odds with outselves. In fact most religions, including buddhism, teach us to do this. So I disagree, it is not simply a matter of thinking, it is a matter of active doing or undoing, where we try not to be who we are and or who we fear we are.

16. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

A quick quote from Flacco ( Australian Icon and very funny bastard)

"In an attempt to cope with my stressful lifestyle I have taken up meditation. The ancient art of sitting on your lotus concentrating on not concentrating.
    I must admit the desire for ultimate nothingness did not at first appeal to me, being myself a great fan of continued somethingness...But after sitting for some time unminding my own business, suddenly, nothing occurred to me. My mind drew a blank...It was then that I realised I had reached nirvana, bliss, total enlightenment!"

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I just don't get how it registers that 'nothing occurs to one'. The very realization that nothing occurs to your disrupts the nothingness.
    I don't think one can ever stop thinking, consciously or not.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  18. Yorda Registered Senior Member

let me tell you who we truly are: we are beings who often try to not be who we are and we sometimes fear who we are.

that nothing happens simply means that life continues as usual. realization is when you realize that there is no such thing as realization and you start to live life instead of searching some BS like "realization".

you think you can stop thinking because you are an atheist who believes in death.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

If there is no such thing as realization, how can you realize that !? :bugeye:

I said I think I can't stop thinking..
    And I don't see what being an atheist and death have to do with it either.

20. Yorda Registered Senior Member

atheists believe they can die, and when you die you stop thinking. death = nirvana

21. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

22. Frud11 Banned Banned

Well, this looks a bit muddled...
    The idea that we can "stop thinking" is related to the (Oriental) notion of "calming the mind". I don't believe it is possible to "stop" the mind, but the "inner conversation" that most of us recognise as thought can certainly be quietened. If our brains could "stop" there would be narcoleptic humans everywhere, waiting around for their brains to start up again... (hang on!? ).

Thinking you can stop thinking is a non-sequitur. Which means it doesn't follow. You can no more consider this possibility than say, a wave could stop 'waving', or heat could stop 'flowing', or change could stop changing. This is nonsense.
    If I am, or someone else is, an atheist, why does that mean I "believe in death"? What does that mean? I don't think I can conceive of my non-existence any more than say, a torch can help you 'see' darkness (the darkness can't be seen because it's gone when the torch shines). That last is straight from Hindu phlosophy...

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No atheists believe the body dies, just like you. Or do you say your body can't die ?