Can artificial intelligences suffer from mental illness?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Plazma Inferno!, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

That's interesting

Wonder if training Koko to pick the 3 to get the 5 would stick ie transfer to other
    3 / 5 situations or remain just with bananas

But but but the test as I understand was to find out if Koko could work it out by herself like a human child

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I believe it was in Holland or Germany where they performed a test as to the ability for cooperation in a group of Bonobos against a group of common Chimpanzees. The group was given several tests that required the cooperation of several "helpers" to execute the tests in finding ways to solve a problem of obtaining rewards.

The Bonobos immediately relied on the dominant female to inspect the tests and in short time solved the problems cooperatively, while the Common Chimp males were still bickering as to who should lead the exploration.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070308121928.htm

This does not suggest that Common Chimps are not capable of cooperation, just that they are a patriarchy and there is constant testing for dominance, whereas the Bonobos are matriarchies and the males express much greater tolerance to social pressure. They don't need to lead or even dominate.
    Maybe humans should try matriarchy, seems that may produce greater cooperation and create a more nurturing environment among humans.
    Another remarkable quality in Bonobos is their willingness to share and even assist in making it possible for another Bonobo to reach the food. Note the body language of the stranger who cannot reach the food.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

You don't think we have that now? That's cute

What puzzles me are the people who say "We share 90%+ DNA with the gorillas, why don't we give them human status?"

Ladies, gentleman, others from Make Gorillas Great, welcome to ZOOM airlines. Your pilot today, G Riller, hopes you enjoy the flight

If you look out from the departure lounge to the plane parking area you will see your aircraft waiting for you to board

You can pick it out easily. It's the one resting on the ground. Yes in the spirit of allowing a 90% DNA gorilla to be equal to humans we have provided a 90% plane.

Yes. The easiest parts to remove were the wheels. Well the plane will board in 10 minutes

Hey where are you all going???

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Wow. You get today's award for making the best salad of unrelated concepts.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

If you look close, you'll find common denominators. That's what I am after. It is the sole area of my investigations. IMO, common denominators and universal constants will eventually lead us to fundamental properties which are essential for existence. Why is it that not all organisms evolve at the same rate on earth?

I am just trying to describe forms of proto-sentience, natural physical attractive and repulsive forces, which eventually may have evolved into greater sophistication and complexity. IMO, greater knowledge of possible sensory adaptations may teach us how this process "unfolds" in its various forms.

We know about mutation and natural selection, but we don't know the actual physical mechanisms which drive the evolutionary stages of the brain or any other "method of processing external information".

Take the Paramecium, it's a brainless organism.
    Proto-sentience?

I see no fundamental conflict using unrelated examples which demonstrate common denominators and similarities in the evolution of their physical sensory assets and functions in all areas of "perception".

The idea is to explore the possibility of evolving sentience (and ultimately consciousness) along with greater complexity and sophistication of sensory abilities in very simple organisms.

A photo sensitive patch on a very simple organism might well be a proto-eye which evolves into a true eye.[/quote]Many researchers have found the evolution of the eye attractive to study, because the eye distinctively exemplifies an analogous organ found in many animal forms. Simple light detection is found in bacteria, single-celled organisms, plants and animals. Complex, image-forming eyes have evolved independently several times![/quote]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_eye
    ==============================================
    Yet Lemurs can "count" (distinguish quantities) as well as humans.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perception

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Well yes, but human males don't know this, that the problem. Not enough physical discipline.

The Bonobo males are well trained by the females enforcing the rules en masse. A male gets out of hand and all the other females will come to the aid of the victimized female. A little bit of what we have now, except the human males still get away scot-free to brag about it...

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

Again, you are mixing up a whole lot of things here.

Imagine someone who says "I just want to understand why I can't change my flat tire and how that relates to evolution. I mean, the wrench doesn't even fit in the door. Maybe evolutionarily, the molecules that aren't suited for survival don't fit in the organism's sockets? That's it! I've figured it out! It's such a simple analogy."
    Nor, in many cases, any fundamental value. Not everything is similar to everything else.
    And an octopus can use tools. Again, doesn't mean much in terms of chirality of molecules.

11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

That is after the pre-boarding process ???????............

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Can you find any common denominators?
    Yes that would be weird, but that's not what I am positing, by any stretch of the imagination.
    Exactly, but everything does have some things in common with all other things. That's what I am after.
    It doesn't ? A slug which has learned to shapeshift, use tools, and solve very intricate problems ? The octopus is one of the most evolved organisms on earth, but it has very little in common with humans. Even their blood isn't red but blue, because the oxygen carrier is not iron but copper.
    https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150312-blood-antarctica-octopus-animals-science-colors/

I submit that during the Earth's lifetime, there may have been several separate points of origin, by different chemical processes.
    As Hazen says, "Origins and evolution may have been possible by a variety of chiral functions". He actually identified three seperate possibilities for affording chemical evolutionary processes. He estimates that the Earth has witnessed some 2 trillion, quadrillion, quadrillion, quadrillion chemical reactions during its life.
    https://hazen.carnegiescience.edu/

This is an excellent lecture by Dr Robert Hazen at the Carnegie Institute for science. (start clip at 25:00 to avoid a lengthy introduction.)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  13. billvon Valued Senior Member

That was an example, not a restating of your position.
    Correct. One is animal behavior, the other is chemistry.

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Then why are you not using one of my actual posits stating my position?
    Chemistry is all there is.
    Chemical elements have specific non-animal behaviors, but IMO, all animal behavior and physical functions are driven by energy and resulting chemical actions in response to energy.

And chemical processes are a form of "consistent" pseudo-intelligent (mathematical) interactions. Chirality distinguishes left-handedness from right-handedness, i.e. a physically cognitive function (proto-sentience?).
    https://hazen.carnegiescience.edu/research/complexity

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

Do you understand what an analogy is?
    I know some physicists who would strongly disagree.
    Chemical processes are not intelligent, pseudo or otherwise. Get enough of them together that they can form cells, then neural networks, then brains, then those brains can exhibit intelligence. But that is an emergent property of the behavior of networks of specific cells (neurons) - not anything inherent to chemistry. If you made a NPU with the same connectivity as the neurons in question they would show similar intelligence.
    Nope. Any more than magnets are intelligent because they magically know which side of the magnet is "north." (That was an analogy, BTW, not a claim that you said that.)

16. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Because not all organisms are exposed to the same environment stresses.

If a organism reaches a level of comfort with its surroundings and the surroundings settle into a steady state there is nothing to push the organism to change

Write4U likes this.
  17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes, but an analogy which is not illustrative of the meaning it is supposed to reveal is not a suitable vehicle for correction.
    If any of my analogies are not representative of objective meaning, I'll gladly retract or modify it.

But to replace my "considered" posits and analogies with an example of an analogy which is not pertinent to the subject and is devoid of even the simplest logic is not a good example, IMHO.

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Chemistry is a discipline of physics, no? I cited chemistry as being pertinent to the specific physics under discussion, emergence and evolution of sentient living organisms.
    Wiki.

19. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Yes they waiting to board after the fueling

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes, we'd have an AI!
    The question is at what stage of sentience (not intelligence) does an organism begin to experience "pain" when exposed to excessive "stress"? Is that not a chemical reaction, experienced even by non-brained organisms?

The "mirror neural network" in brained organisms produces chemical activity in response to stimulation from just observing someone else experiencing pain.

21. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Carlin asked if "pre-board" meant "to board before you board"?

22. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Survival from stress involves moving away from the stress and the chemical reaction (within the organism) undergoing the stress react (under physic / chemical) processes (non sentient)

If unable to move away will adapt

No. Pain requires a pain network. A upway path to, a HQ to decide "it hurts" or it's "OK" and, a downward path to send instructions for the action / non action to be taken

23. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I didn't get to view the video (up to doing 5 things at once - and no coffee yet)

Might get to watch later when things settle

Coffee now