Can Brushing your teeth on a daily basis be doing more damage than good?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by A Canadian, Oct 8, 2005.

1. A Canadian Why talk? When you can listen? Registered Senior Member

Here is a thinker for you:
    Can bushing your teeth be doing more harm than good?

Consider me a slob, but I only bush my teeth on certain occasions...
    My breath stinks
    I can feel build up plaque on my teeth
    I ate or drank something loaded with sugar

Yet anytime I go to the dentist... they complement on my healthy, yet yellow teeth.... Not one cavity, no gum decay.... I may be onto something here.... He spends a while using that stupid blue hard tooth paste on my teeth but appearances arn't the issue.

They say you should brush your teeth 2-3 times a day or at the very least after every meal. Is it possible you are removing, so to say, a healthy layer of gunk... When you want to protect wood, you put a "layer" of stain on it.... it stains the wood a ugly green color, but it will last longer in the long run... eventully you will have to apply new stain and/or a new layer of paint... IE brushing your teeth....

See what I am getting at here?

Hey good looking whatcha doing friday night? "Smiles"
    Before my teeth fall out, or get knocked out, I shall leave the floor open to discussion.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Viva_el_Che Registered Senior Member

You can really tell you are canadian

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

just kidding

I think with al things if you do it too much it can be bad for you

My brother brushes his teeth twice a day and they are yellow but his teeth are fairly healthy

You gotta remember that that yellow stuff isnt going to be healthy for your teeth though. I think you would be brushing your teeth only just frequently enough to keep them healthy

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

It depends on genetics. My dad was born with incredibly healthy teeth (meditteranean thing). I've never had a cavity and neither has he.

But remember that flouride strengthens the teeth. Cleaning off the plaque is only half of the equation. Simply gargling tooth paste back and forth for five minutes is better than not brushing, if you're worried about doing damage.

Floss at least...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There's a bell curve and you're blessed with being way out near the right-hand end of it. Some people just have really healthy teeth that don't seem to need a lot of care, and you're apparently one of them.

Although you don't say how old you are. Can we follow up on this case study when you're forty?

These days a lot of young people have really outstanding teeth because they've always had fluoride in their water and their parents made them brush every day with fluoride toothpaste.

There's nothing you can put on the enamel of a tooth that will "protect" it from the acids and bacteria in your mouth, except to cement a crown of synthetic material completely over it and seal it in. And even that never seems to work because a lot of stuff comes in via the gums and roots.

If you want to push your luck and keep doing this that's up to your own personal risk analysis. One day your dentist is going to find something that's been building up for the whole six months since your last cleaning and you could lose a tooth or two.

I only brush my teeth twice a day and most people only do it once. Talk to the authority figure who insists that you do it three times and find out what other wonderful recommendations they have to improve your health. You'll probably find that it's all just a little bit out there from the perspective of a normal person's lifestyle.

8. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

LOL. I brush my teeth 2-3 times a day and I always have perfect teeth. I dn;t think brushing damages my teeth in any way.

9. Russ723 Relatively Hairless Ape Registered Senior Member

I think it takes 24 hours for plaque to harden.

I always thought brushing too often with abrasive whitening toothpaste can damage enamel.

I could be very wrong.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If you brush with a non abrasive type of toothpaste like, http://ecoviva.com/html/peelu_toothpaste.html , then you don't have to worry about hurting the enamal at all. Even if you brush with abrasive types of toothpaste once or twice a day then there's little damages that will be done to your enamal.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  11. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

LOL- now the most basic part of dental health is bad for us?
    What's next- water is unhealthy?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Some water is unhealthy and that's why the water treatment plants add different chemicles to the water to kill those things that could harm us. There's chlorine, ammonia, flouride and other chemicles added to your drinking water.In todays water there's also many heavy metals that are also harmful to us and those cannopt be removed by the common means.

13. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Dude, it's fuckin' WATER. You need it to SURVIVE.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That is why I buy bottled mountain spring water .

15. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Ah, that's the good stuff...'specially Aquafina....best of the best, man, the best o' t3h best.

16. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

'moutain spring water'? You mean that sterile filtered stuff?

Tap water is great, at least where I come from.

17. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

yeah, my tap water is pretty good. it was better where I used to live, but thats the way it goes. anyway, I wonder how much shit gets in processed water from the plastics they run through.

18. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

True. I don't drink tap water from other places unless I have to...but, my home city of Louisville has probably the best tap water of anywhere in the world, it's not just louisvillians, but others to. who've said so.

19. vslayer Registered Senior Member

you can have your stupid chemically processed reservoir water, ill stick to my pure unadulterated aquifer water.

anyway, on teeth: i never brush my teeth, NEVER. my teeth are fine most of the time, but those bastard dentists fucked them up to try and make me go back there so they get more money. my teeth were fine until i went to the dentist, he said i had several cavities, then drilled a bunch of holes in my teeth so that now it hurts to get anything sugary stuck in my teeth. they are recovering as my gunk builds up again, but that was enough to put me off dentists forever

20. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Vslayer,
    I hope you're saying that out of sarcasm... Cavities are insidious, nobody notices them until the teeth throb in pain.

By the way - the chemicals in tap water can be found abundantly in the food you eat. Except for flouride and iodine, which you need for a healthy body. I would be more concerned about the crap in beer, chips sodas. Especially of all that cancer causing benzoate stuff they like to sprinkle on everything.

21. Datura surrender to nothing Registered Senior Member

Is peroxide bad for teeth?

22. vslayer Registered Senior Member

xerxes, all i know is that they were fine until i went to the dentist, from then on it has hurt to eat sweet things.

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Yes, brushing is bad for your teeth. Just look at all the wild Great Apes. They have WONDERFUL teeth.