Can humans reach enlightenment?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Grantywanty, Nov 1, 2007.

1. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

There are things to be said about certain forms of Hinduism, yes, and of deterministic theories of karma.

As for thinking poorly of oneself - I can't remember exactly the number of the Sutta or the teacher, but in Buddhism, there are teachings on how people should not think bad about themselves, how they should love themselves, specifically how they should not talk meanly about themselves. I was very surprised to find that. No being proud of being a wretch.

You're right. It seems my point is true only for a specific group who are both good at something (relative to their own achievements) and have peace of mind.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

To me it is like a parent who is pathologically critical of a child. the consistant message, often 'nicely' said, is about all the mistakes, defilements, pieces of not you that you are identifying with, how it is your fault you are suffering, and so on. If you ask the parent should I feel bad about myself - or they notice that you are - you are told no, often nicely, perhaps with the undercurrent implication that it is part of your problem that you have not cut off that feeling, had a better attitude, 'indulged' this feeling.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

you guys speak of enlightment as it is a "definable" thing. There are certain things that can´t be explained in words, what do you guys think? that words are perfect? lol, don´t worry, thats normal human arrogancy

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

We're not trying to explain enlightenment. We're using words that might point to it; ie. words that can be used as instructions to perform actions that will lead to enlightenment.

Saying "enlightenment is a complete cessation of suffering" basically implies that in order to become enlightened, one has to make a complete cessation of suffering.

8. Donnal Registered Member

i know i said no once but yes people can be enlightened
    i was and understand how its done and how it feels aswell

9. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

I actually think words elicit experiences in readers and listeners. It is more like a dance and certainly no step in that dance is perfect in some final way. There that was the move.
    I am not trying to capture something in words.
    Words and sentences are not containers.

10. Donnal Registered Member

so beautifuly said

11. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

But... we see the world through our own minds, the eyes are just "mirrors" that send information to our brains, and our brains create the picture of what you are looking at within ourselves.
    What happens if we "drop" our own minds like we would "drop" our legs when we are not walking? Enlightment is just looking at the world as it truly is, without the barrier that is your own mind.
    I look at it like love, you can not tell someone how to fall in love; there are no courses that teach you how to love. If you are trained your whole life on how to fall in love, you will be so full of theories and BS that you would not be able to truly love. That just can´t be done, the same is the situation.

12. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I really wouldn't know what would happen if I would "drop" my mind. It's far to sticky to drop.

13. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

lol; that is the thing, you would look at the world as it truly is... You would be what they call it in the East: "enlightened".
    But the mind will always be against this kinda things, because the mind is the master of the modern man; we should use our minds instead of our minds using us...
    And being the master of our own selfs, we should be able to rest our mind when we not require the use of it, like we currently do with the rest of our body parts; or like we do with the cars we drive. But our minds are not even in rest while we sleep, it continues dreaming and waving with desire. This is because our minds are currently in control of our every action, except when we are loving or laughing and playing like little children...
    That is why even if you believe in it, meditation will be hard to accept for the mind, the mind will put a lot of obstacles; because it knows that in meditation the mind is in danger of loosing control of yourself.

14. VitalOne Banned Banned

What? What horrible advice...why should someone accept anger, fear, sorrow, etc...when they can completely destroy it and achieve happiness?

The advice I woud give to this person is to destroy the destructive reactions associated with that memory, so they can be free to enjoy life....why should they be held down because of this memory when they can be free?

Accepting destructive feelings as they are does not solve anything at all , rather it only leaves the problem to exist

Say there was someone who had unintentionally tied a great weight like a boulder to themself, everywhere they walked they carried this great weight, this great burden, which caused them suffering, pain, and misery....

Your advice would be: "Just accept this as it is, the boulder is on you, there's nothing you can do about it"

My advice would be: "Untie the knot, so that the boulder is lifted off of you, and finally let yourself be free at last"

This is not self-hatred, rather accepting it as it is is what should be called "self-hatred"

No we're not, we're not hating part of ourselves, your insecurities, destructive feelings, impulses, etc...are NOT yourself, they are just things that influence you, they are like veils, coverings of your actual self

This is not self-hatred, this is self-love, I am telling people to destroy the things that prevent them from being who they really are, and enjoying every infinitsmal moment...

No...destroying a destructive feeling is not a destructive feeling in itself...destroying a destructive feeling, impulse, insecurity, etc...brings the greatest enjoyment, finally nothing is missing in life, you are who you actually are, not who you pretend to be...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  15. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

So you don't judge your emotions.

16. Myles Registered Senior Member

That's an old one. Have you ever bought a used motor. sight unseen. because the salesman told you that you hads to buy and drive it for a few thousand miles before realizing what a great motor it was

17. Myles Registered Senior Member

What a good Zen answer. So what does it mean ? How long must I meditate or whatever before I understand ?
    Zen answer: Long enough

18. Myles Registered Senior Member

What do you mean by mind. I regard it as an epiphenomon or someting of the kind. Does mind exist indepently of the brain for you ? Please enlighten me.

19. Myles Registered Senior Member

How will you know that you have arrived at a point where you are seeing the worls as it truly is ? When your vision conforms to some mental constructs ?

20. Myles Registered Senior Member

21. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Are you familiar with the Four Sublime Attitudes, or the Four Brahmaviharas?
    Are you familiar with the distinction between conventional truth and absolute truth?

22. Myles Registered Senior Member

No on both counts. Please tell me what the absolut truth is. I'm more than willing to listen.

23. Myles Registered Senior Member

Can you provide me with evidence to support your view or must I simply take your word for it ?