can someone tutor meeeee..... please!

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Agent@5, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

I want to know about velocity, and theories of relativity and things as such.. but i read and i dont get it, but i want to know....
    I just want to know thw basics so i can work from there.... pleeeassseeeZ!!!!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

uh...that is a little general.

velocity is distance / time. I believe velocity is vector so it has a direction.

theories of relativity is not something that can be explained in just one post. That is why people write a 300 page text book you know. I can probably answer most questions if you have something specific.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

agent

You've asked a mighty big request, but not to worry, these things can be done.

Why don't you start at the beginning and take it step by step.

How is your math ? What do you know about Newtons laws ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

yeah, I didnt know where to start!! sorry for it being so broad.

Its just I here so many things these things are applicable too, and I just wish I understood....

Okay, so newtons law, now I read that somewhere.... must say, my math is not the finest tuned instrument. BUt all the more reason to learn!

Kay, so you reccomend learning this theory first, yeah?

8. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Velocity is distance travelled per unit time in a particular direction.

The theory of relativity deals with how to convert one person's observations to another person's point of view. If one person moves relative to the other, what will he see, given that the "stationary" person sees X?

Those are the basics.

10. BloodSuckingGerbile Master of Puppets Registered Senior Member

Mechanics and basic theory of relativity don't require extensive math. SOS Math can answer most of your math questions. it's a great site.
    To understand thoroughly what velocity, acceleration, force and such are, you should learn at least the basics of calculus (I assume you don't know it).
    You should also understand vectors, for they are extensively used in mechanics (you can't find tutorials on vectors in SOS Math. You'll have to learn about them somewhere else. Maybe here. Again, I assume you don't know what vectors are).
    Once you understand derivatives, vectors and integrals, you have no problem understanding Newtonian mechanics and basic relativistic mechanics (maybe it's because Einstein sucked in math and his wife did all the calculations for him...)
    In order to understand the special theory of relativity (Einsteins' theory), you have to understand the general theory of relativity (Galileos' theory), the three Newton laws and the concept of force, mass and different kinds of energy (potential, kinetic, etc). The difference between the special theory and the general thory is velocity.
    The special theory of relativity deals with velocities closer to the speed of light, while the general theory deals with everyday velocities.
    The general theory of relativity is really simple to grasp. It requires an understanding of velocity and acceleration and once you know that the general theory becomes obvious.
    Unlike the general theory, the special theory requires imagination and it's much more complex and much harder to grasp then the general theory.

Oh, and I'll give you a tip. If you really intend to seriously learn mechanics, you shouldn't just remember all the formulas by heart.
    You should know how to derive them. It helps you to understand everything in your way. It's also really fascinating to see for yourself how the concept of velocity became something like E=mc<sup>2</sup>.
    It's also cooler to remember the derivations, so that when somebody asks you how nuclear fusion works, you'll start deriving equations and explaining them and whoever asked you will be like "wow, dude! Are you some kind of genious?".
    That's

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

cool...
    Anyway, we're here for you. Ask whatever is on your mind.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

12. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

Bad idea

Don't go to a forum for this Agent@5.

Buy a physics textbook by Giancoli, the Fifth Edition or later if there are any.

Learn on your own!!

I bet you aren't going to get much out of this. You can't *just* read, you must do the equations, solve problems, and work through all the math to understand it more on a mathematical level. Even watch the MUS (Mechanical Universe Series) tapes by Caltech. Learning it quantitatately won't get you very far...all the smart people out there know what I'm talking about

13. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

OKay, what ill think ill do... is get some books... try to figure out what the words mean... practice the theories, and come back to this when i dont understand soemthing..... yeah?

14. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

You said you are in a university right? Just take some classes. That will keep you busy.

15. xaxaro Registered Member

senior member... lol

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

agent

You can go away and read up on books if you like. You can also learn right here. There are some smart cookies on this board. I would suggest reading posts by James R, Crisp and Thed to name a few. If you don't understand what they're talking about, just ask. I've yet to see these guys turn down anyone who truly wanted to learn (and sometimes those who do not).

17. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

Q,

That's funny!!!

It's interesting that you didn't mention c'est moi, overdoze, 137, or me.

Maybe that's because, unlike your group, we're independent thinkers.

What about Thed? He got upset because he couldn't get his way so he completely stopped posting.

Tom

18. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

Re: ..

was that post directed at me? if so, what is it spose to mean?

19. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

I would if i had time, unfortunatley my degree has no need for a physics class.. and i dont have time to catch up....

i realise there are some smart cookies here, that is why I wanted to probe your brains on where to begin. My passion has always been literature, global affairs and behaviour, thus my degree in media, but i wanted to broaden my knowledge.

youve all given me a lot of useful advice, i appreciate it, thankyou... hehehehe right. now, where do i begin again. Books? no books? classes? tutor? forums? lol.... all of the above? see my logic is not use to structure, except essay structue.... so i relaly need to know the very very basics... but ill read through the posts again.. Thanks !!

20. CompiledMonkey The Lurker Registered Senior Member

Which University do you attend?

21. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

Macquarie University, in Sydney....... u?

22. CompiledMonkey The Lurker Registered Senior Member

<~~~~~~~~ in Richmond, VA USA.

I was asking because I would think you could take a class as an elective. That is, if you have not already filled those requirements of course.

23. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

yeah I proberbly could..... umm i think ill check that out. Ta!