Can Someone Verify This?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by LionHearted, Apr 10, 2003.

1. LionHearted Registered Senior Member

Can someone tell me whether or not these quotes from the Jewish Talmud are accurate?

Moed Kattan 17a. If a Jew is tempted to do evil he should go to a city where he is not known and do the evil there.

Sanhedrin 58b. If a heathen (Gentile) hits a Jew, the Gentile must be killed. Hitting a Jew is the same as hitting God.

Sanhedrin 57a. A Jew need not pay a Gentile ("Cuthean") the wages owed him for work.

Baba Kamma 37b. "If an ox of an Israelite gores an ox of a Canaanite there is no liability; but if an ox of a Canaanite gores an ox of an Israelite ... the payment is to be in full."

Baba Mezia 24a. If a Jew finds an object lost by a Gentile ("heathen") it does not have to be returned. (Affirmed also in Baba Kamma 113b).

Sanhedrin 76a. God will not spare a Jew who "marries his daughter to an old man or takes a wife for his infant son or returns a lost article to a Cuthean ... "

Sanhedrin 57a. When a Jew murders a Gentile ("Cuthean"), there will be no death penalty. What a Jew steals from a Gentile he may keep.

Baba Kamma 37b. Gentiles are outside the protection of the law and God has "exposed their money to Israel."

Baba Kamma 113a. Jews may use lies ("subterfuges") to circumvent a Gentile.

Yebamoth 98a. All Gentile children are animals.

Abodah Zarah 36b. Gentile girls are in a state of niddah (filth) from birth.

Abodah Zarah 22a-22b. Gentiles prefer sex with cows.

Menahoth 43b-44a. A Jewish man is obligated to say the following prayer every day: Thank you God for not making me a Gentile, a woman or a slave.

I would like to know whether or not this is true. I got these from this website:

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/talmud.htm

I have also seen other quotes like these on other websites. I cannot find a Talmud anywhere to verify these.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

This is not true. The Torah takes precidence. The Talmud is a collection of books from scribes (pharisees) who were known to make up their own rules and regulations.

The Old Testament (Torah, Nevi'im, and Kesuvim) is what God gave to the Jews, nothing more, nothing less. Of that, the Torah is considered fundamental.

The Talmud is secular books written by the "experts." It was basically a commentary on the Mishna. These are the same "experts" that decided to crucify Jesus Christ.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nightpoet Registered Senior Member

Given the info Jerrek presented, I wouldn't doubt that its true.

I can tell you for sure that the last one is true. At least the "not making me a woman" part of it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

8. sami Registered Member

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Cyprus/8815/exp.html">A truth-based response to: "THE TALMUD: JUDAISM'S HOLIEST BOOK DOCUMENTED AND EXPOSED" also known as "TALMUD UNMASKED"</a><p>
    <a href="http://sami119.tripod.com/shemaisrael/">sami</a>

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Application of standards, and what that could bring (Any volunteers for Armageddon?)

Over the years at Sciforums, Christians have generally rejected examinations of extra-biblical scriptures, such as the epistles of the Apostolic Fathers, and a host of philosophers ranging from Augustine to Nicholas of Cusa to Saint Bellarmine to Aquinas, Thomas Moore, Anselm ... even the popes.

Remember:
    We might also consider the Hadith of Islam. Much is made of this document, though at least one mystic, whose name escapes me, claimed to be visited by the Prophet Muhammed, who reprimanded him: "Idiot! I said to observe the Hadith, not to forget the Koran!"

As soon as we want to hold all religions responsible for all words uttered by anyone claiming to be an expert or to even have that particular faith, I don't worry about the Talmud. I can't recall ever knowing a Jew who acted according to some of the nasty things contained in the Talmud. In fact, I can't recall ever knowing a Jew who worried about the Talmud. Of course, I'm not a heavy playa in the Jewish circles, but I can definitively say that the nastiest argument I've ever had with a Jew was over salt or sand; she liked the ice melted (salt), and I liked to preserve the roads and cars a little bit more (sand)--in either case, it's where you're from. In her neighborhood outside Chicago, they used salt. In the Pacific Northwest, we generally used sand, though I think they've changed to this odd compound that looks like chemical fertilizer or those moisture beads you use on boats.

Seriously--there are maybe fourteen million Jews in the world (I'm using Jon Stewart's aunt's number of all things). Even if all of them went Israeli tomorrow, I still wouldn't worry about the Jews. Most, if not all, modern anti-Semitism finds its roots in the effects of prior prejudices. The day the Talmud becomes as practically problematic as the Bible, or anything near that, I'll worry. But it ain't Talmudists putting persecuting Free Speech in the US with ballot measures; it ain't the Talmudists. It's the evil Christians, and I must admit that they are much more consistently Biblically evil than any Jews I've ever known are Talmudically evil.

How fair do you want to be? One of the reasons I support the First Amendment and pacifism is because I do think the world would be better off if Abramism in general disappeared from the face of the Earth. Christians may be evil, but I'm not about to accept another religious-based holocaust. Enough is enough, and if human strife is truly a necessity, and if we ought to apply our perceptions of religion so broadly, we should hold one final war, round all the Abramists up near Megiddo, and give them the Judgment Day that means so much to at least two of those three religions.

In the meantime, civility is a good thing, and knowledge is a powerful ally. Jews, Christians, Muslims: either y'all go, or y'all stay and get along. I'll leave the choice up to you, but stop dragging the rest of us down with you.

Notes:

° Pope Leo X: It should be noted, for the ironic benefit of those capable of understanding, that Leo X was a Medici.

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. LionHearted Registered Senior Member

I see your point, Tiassa. We can't hold all members of a religion responsible for what one member of that religion said or did. I am a Christian. I'm not going to worry about the Jews because if they are evil, they will not escape God's judgement. On Judgement Day, they will get what they deserve whether it is good or bad that they deserve.

11. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

I was adopted into a jewish family when i was reasonably young. I had a barmitzvah, hell i was even circumcised, (no it wasnt very nice i was like 12 years old at the time). I was sometimes forced into going to synagogue and knew a lot of the local 'religious' jews. Let me say i've never even heard of the talmud

Now i've actually thought about it the boys who were religious and wore 'skullcaps' were constantly persecuted by none other than the lovely christians. Jewish kids never sought out trouble- they were as care free as the next guy- but other religions would constantly attack and ridicule them. Maybe it's just the area i grew up in...?

To me the rules were simple:

Be circumcised: I am pleased to be. It's a lot healthier, much more sensual for women and supposedly more intense for the guy.

Don't eat pigs n stuff: I don't particularly like pork anyway but you can see original reasoning in that a pig would be considered a dirty animal. It's more than just uncloven hooves or chewing the cud- it's about how an animal was perceived millennia ago.

Dont do anything on Saturday: Just gave everyone a chance to sit down and watch tv without busting their asses.

Don't sound all that bad.... Ok the rabbis would waffle some shit in a different language which didn't mean much to me but it all appeared pretty harmless

If this talmud is accurate then it doesn't sound too nice. I don't think anyone really has room to condemn them for it- i have seen stuff just as evil in most religious texts known to man. Aside from that i'm sure things have changed slightly over the years. Lionhearted is just trying to feel more comfortable within himself by putting other religions down. By doing so he thinks it adds credibility to his own belief.

Whats that all about? You sound a tad aggressive. Don't like jews heh? Why's that? Lemme guess..... they ummm, ok i can't guess. Enlighten me please.

As for 'not making me a woman'....... man jewish or not i'd love to be a woman. I'd stay at home all day exploring myself

12. heflores Banned Banned

Very typical thoughts of people who worshipped a cow made of gold while their prophet have just finished saving them and asked them to wait for a second while he goes and get their real scriptures. It looks like while they worshipped the cows, they wrote a Talmud too while Moses was not looking.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2003
  13. heflores Banned Banned

Is that another thing that the Talmud teach you, that women stay home all day exploring themselves.....??

14. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Well why try and paste my quotes if you're unable to read? If you could read you would have noticed me stating i've never even heard of the talmud and as such wouldn't know what it said. Understand now?

15. heflores Banned Banned

that's good, don't read it....unless you like disgrunted about christianity fine Jewish literature.

16. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Well you should know by now that's what religion does. It believes itself above everyone else and ends up causing non stop conflicts.

17. heflores Banned Banned

That's religion when excercised in groups and imposed upon others. If personal beliefs manage to stay personal and get separated from the workplaces and politics, we wouldn't have any problems. We first have to eliminate all the churches, mosques, and tempels, and make it illigal to teach little kids about religion, unless it's a parent doing it at home.

18. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

I thought this link might be of interest ...

The Talmud

Also, "The Essential Talmud" by Adin Steinsaltz and "Everyman's Talmud" by Abraham Cohen are, in my opinion, very interesting books on the subject.

As far as the Talmud quotes go - I think this Jewish proverb fits quite nicely: "What you do not see with your eyes, don't witness with your mouth."

Question: Has anyone read anything on mediaeval Jewish philosophy?