Can the US president suddenly resign?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Saint, May 24, 2017.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

Can the US president suddenly resign?
    What will happen if he resigned?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Yes.

If the president resigns, the vice president takes his job. We have a pretty deep succession plan. At some point, I think, the postmaster general gets the job. You know, if enough successors fall away.

The big question this time is what happens if the first successor—e.g., the vice president—is corrupt and needs to be impeached. (The job then goes to the Speaker of the House, but Paul Ryan hasn't the integrity to impeach Pence in the first place.)

Okay, that's the second big question. The big question is whether Donald Trump will actually resign.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Citation? Kidding...
    For the life of me... I can't decide which is worse. I think I would prefer Pence, less likely to impetuously blow us all up. *Note* - this is not an endorsement.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wellwisher Banned Banned

The left is in total fantasy mode. They assume if you recite the same lie over and over, it will become assumed truth. They are trying to sell junk food, with a clever jingle. This may work with people on the left, who are easy to manipulate.

Hillary had conflict of interests as Secretary of State. She was both Secretary of State and also on the board of the Clinton Foundation, which went around the world, at the same time, getting donations, which made the Clintons rich. Hillary also retained her position on the board, when she ran for president. She had a private email server so she could do both personal and private business, while not being under the freedom of information act. This way she could hide the conflict of interest from public scrutiny. She erased 30,000 emails of conflict of interests but misses a few things.

She was influence peddling, with many countries and foreign interests investing in the foundation, with the hope Hillary would be president and they would have her ear and an expensive puppet. Among the investors were the Russians who gave tens of millions of dollars. This is a smoking gun Russian connection. The Russians are not known for their humanitarian charity. This was not charity.

Maybe someone could tell me, what do we know of the allegations against Trump, that is more damming than this? The second question I have is, how long did they investigate Hillary and how long have they investigated Trump? Which of the two has the most circumstantial evidence against them? Bernie called this the rigged system, and Trump calls this the swamp. The swamp is making a stand of misinformation, to avoid being resigned for good. If Hillary goes down, she will take them all down to avoid getting what she deserves.

The thing that has baffled me is why Republicans on the investigation committees are not asking these questions, since there is a Russian connection to the DNC via Hillary. Why did Comey forgive Hillary so fast, without all the special committees and years of investigation like with Trump? Government never works as fast as it did unless the system is being rigged.

My belief is Trump respects the office of the president and does not wish to smear Presidents Clinton and Obama, even though they have dirty hands. Trump is trying to get their cooperation for his agenda. However, Clinton and Obama have decided to use their KGB misinformation training to make Trump looks dirty. Trump may have no choice but to take them out. This will pull the plug on the swamp.

If you compare the tactic of the KGB and the Democrats, they seem to have the same playbook. There is no reason to resign if you are innocent and being falsely accused, unless your become an emotional wreck due to KGB style pressure tactics.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Dr_Toad and sculptor like this.
  8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yes, Tiassa is kidding. But his point is well taken. The US does have a very long succession plan.

Yeah, it's a tough choice. But has you point out, Pence is less likely to destroy humanity.

9. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Apparently, up until 1971 the Postmaster General could become President <<< --you known, in the event of a... Battlestar Galactica-type situation.

10. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Honestly, I'm not so sure. Pence harbors some pretty extreme views very much tied to his brand of Christianity,i.e., re: abortion, LGBTQ rights, AGW, etc., which --from my perspective, at least--make even W. seem pretty mild by comparison. His hatred, ignorance, and drive, combined with just an iota of competence which Trump does not possess, could make him potentially more lethal.

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Reality, the truth, isn't fantasy Comrade Wellwisher. It's just the truth. So why is it you and those of your ilk keep reciting the same lies over and over?

Except Hillary didn't have conflicts of interests. Unlike the Trump Foundation, the Clinton Foundation is run by an independent board of directors. It is audited by an independent well respected accounting firm every year. Unlike the Trump Foundation, the the Clinton Foundation isn't a slush fund. The Clintons do not receive any kind of financial compensation from the foundation which bears their name. Oops. It's those damn facts again Wellwisher.

Further, and contrary to your assertions, Hillary Clinton wasn't on the Clinton Foundation board of directors before, during, or after the election or during her service as Secretary of State. It's those damn facts again Comrade Wellwisher.
    https://www.clintonfoundation.org/about/board-directors

And unlike your beloved Trump, the Clintons are very transparent. They have published nearly 40 years of their tax returns. Your man Trump hasn't released even 1 year of his tax returns even though he has promised to do so.

The truth is Trump is the least transparent POTUS since Nixon. The truth is Trump is the most conflicted POTUS of at least the last one hundred years. He rents from the US government he leads. Trump has used his charitable foundation as a personal slush fund to pay his bills.

Except she wasn't, and you have no credible evidence to the contrary.

They have. I have, and you have repeatedly ignored all evidence and reason - not to mention your assertions are as bogus as Charles Ponzi.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

For your edification, below is a partial list of known Trump conflicts of interest:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/05/donald-trump-conflicts-of-interests/508382/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38069298

But because Trump is the least transparent American president in almost a half century, there are probably many more conflicts of interests. You may have heard, Trump is currently under investigation by the FBI on suspicions of collusion with Russia. Trump's financial ties to Russia and money laundering are currently under investigation. Do you need more Comrade Wellwisher?

And what connection would that be Wellwisher? Two, Comey didn't forgive Hillary of anything. Oops. The investigation Hillary's email server lasted for a year and a half. What makes you think that is fast? You don't remember all the congressional investigations of Clinton ans special prosecutors? Where have you been for the last 30 years? Republicans have spent tens if not hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars investigating Hillary Clinton over the course of nearly 30 years and found nothing.

Well you believe Trump is a god. So that ain't saying much. You believe a lot of things which are demonstrably untrue Wellwisher as evidenced by your last post. So you don't think Trump smeared Obama when he accused him of illegally wiretapping his phones with absolutely no evidence to back up that assertion? You don't believe Trump smeared Obama with his unfounded birther conspiracies? What planet are you living on? Are you really that brainwashed? Unfortunately, I think the answer is yes.

The truth is Trump has done nothing to "drain the swamp" nor does he have any plans to "drain the swamp".

LOL....said the pot to the kettle. Trump and the Republican Party are advocates for torture as a legitimate interrogation device. That's something you would find in the KGB "playbook". Trump and Republicans are against the free press and have repeatedly referred to the free press as "the enemy of the people". That's another thing you will find in the KGB playbook. Democrats are opposed to all of those things.

The truth is Trump and his merry band of Republicans have far more in common with the KGB than anything Democrats could ever muster. That's one reason why Trump and his merry band of Republicans have such a cozy and admiring relationship with a former KGB officer (i.e. Putin).

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Interesting...thanks. I didn't know that. But it makes sense. That was during the Cold War.

13. sculptor Valued Senior Member

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

In truth, I wasn't aware of the revision; it's a piece of trivia I learned in fifth grade, or some such, and I doubt I've ever looked it up. Thank you.

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yes, he can resign temporarily or permanently. Then the vice president takes over his duties.

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

#corruption | #WhatTheyVotedFor

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I don't know what you think you intend to accomplish by just making shit up, but you and your conservative neighbors are just a bunch of foul hypocrites. Y'all were supportive when it was Colin Powell↱, and, naturally, on the announcement of a hundred million dollars↱ donated spontaneously to a family-run initiative, conservatives would rather spend the day lying in order to change the subject.

And, really, this kind of perpetual, persistent dishonesty ferociously insisted upon by conservatives pretty much means that not a single one of you is trustworthy.

17. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Don't tease and torment onlookers with such dangling optimism by interrogatively suggesting the possibility of a simplistic resolution as opposed to the contorted path, outrageous arena-like spectacles, and complex melee waiting ahead.

- - - -

sideshowbob and spidergoat like this.
  18. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes. However, it has only happened once. Richard Nixon resigned in 1974. The reason was that he had performed some very dishonorable deeds in order to increase his popularity so that he could win the next election. Ironically, the deeds were discovered and made it impossible for him to win the election.
    The Vice-President will take over the administration of the government.

However, this was much more complicated than we expected. Spiro Agnew was Nixon's Vice-President, and he was extremely unpopular. Nixon realized that if he left the country in the hands of Agnew, the government might fall apart. So he asked Agnew to step down and give up the office. He recruited Gerald Ford to be his new Vice-President. Ford was not well-known, but he was a good, honest man, and all Americans felt that the country would be in safe hands.

Nixon made a bargain with Ford: He appointed Ford as the new Vice President, and in return, Ford agreed NOT to impeach Nixon--which could have resulted in him being sent to prison. Ford simply allowed him to resign and go away. Nixon went ahead and resigned, and Ford became our President.

Ford was not one of our most successful Presidents, but he managed to bring the people together after the Vietnam War. He pardoned all of the soldiers who walked away from the war, and he also pardoned all of the civilians who had emigrated to Canada to avoid being drafted into the military, during a war that we began to realize that we could never win.

20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Agnew resigned in lieu of impeachment , conviction, criminal charges, and jail - he was taking envelopes of cash across his desk in the VP office.

The Republican Party did not become a conglomeration of the corrupt and depraved suddenly last summer.

Pence's main issue is that he is owned by the Koch Brothers - most Republicans owe a bit that way, but Pence is simply a minion.

21. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

There are some of organizations from which one cannot resign - The Koch empire is one.
    However, so far as I'm aware, they're mostly about mo' money, and as long as Trump doesn't get in the way of that, he can stay.
    However, there is also the question of his health, (which would be a legitimate reason for resignation).
    The nation's health is in jeopardy no matter what: look again at that line of succession - see any light?

22. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Said the pot to the kettle....you need to stop scapegoating the left for your transgressions comrade. Unfortunately for folks like you the truth still matters with most people.

And the credible evidence for your assertion is where? The truth is Hillary Clinton didn't retain her position on any board much less the Clinton Foundation while she served as Secretary of State, nor was she on the Clinton Foundation Board of directors during her campaign or after. Yes, she used a private email account and server for public business while she served as Secretary of State, but so did her Republican predecessors, as did the current sitting Republican vice president. Additionally, she erased her personal emails. There is nothing criminal or untoward in that. There is no reasons to believe any of Clinton's emails represented a single conflict of interest. Oops. Holes are showing in your conspiracy comrade.

Now let's look at what you are conveniently sweeping under the rug. Trump in contrast has sweeping financial interests across the globe of which he has disclosed nothing. Unlike Clinton, Trump has refused to release even a single year of his tax returns even though he has repeatedly promised to do so. In contrast Clinton has released 39 years of her tax returns.

Trump has been the least transparent president in my lifetime. He no longer releases the White House visitor log has his democratic predecessor did. He has steadfastly refused to disclose any financial information about himself. And he has illegally used his charitable foundation has his personal slush fund.

She was Secretary of State, influence peddling was her job. But you have no evidence Hillary Clinton ever solicited donations for the Clinton Foundation while she served in public office, because she didn't. In fact she took great effort to separate herself from the Clinton Foundation while she served in public office. What has Trump done to separate himself from his businesses and his charitable foundation? The answer is nothing. Unlike Clinton, Trump is still in full control of his financial interests and his charitable foundation. Trump still owns and controls his charitable foundation. The Trump Foundation has a board of one, and that's The Donald. And unlike Trump, Hillary has never used the Clinton Foundation to her financial benefit. Unlike the Trump Foundation, Clinton's charitable foundation is run by an independent board and very public and open. Unlike the Trump foundation, the Clinton Foundation has always operated in compliance with the law.

Who are these Russians that gave money to the Clinton Foundation? And why is that a "smoking gun" indicating Clinton is a Russian shill? Again, this is one of the many falsehoods you and those like you believe, because you know, another right wing wacko told you so. What does that make Trump's many Russian connections and business deals? I guess those are smoking guns of his complicity. Why then do we need to investigate further. We already have evidence Trump has sold a property too a Russian oligarch at a grossly inflated price. Are Russian oligarchs that dump or is Trump that smart? Based on Trump's business track record, by bet is on the Russians.

Just tune into something other than right wing wacko media on any given day. The evidence against Trump is all over the place.

Republicans have been investigating Hillary Clinton for nearly 30 years and found nothing to substantiate their many allegations against Clinton. Where have you been comrade? Trump on the other hand has only been investigated for a few months. Even at this early stage, and even with Trump's attempts to suppress the investigation. There is much more evidence implicating Trump and his associates than nearly 30 years of Republican investigations of Clinton ever produced. Even now at this early stage, one of Trump's closest advisers is seeking a plea deal.

No, Trump called the "system rigged". He has also asserted he would drain the "swamp". But he has done nothing to drain anything, much less a swamp. Nor does he have any plans to drain any swamps. Now if you really think Trump has a plan to "drain the swamp", now is the time to show it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hillary isn't running for office. You guys need to stop using Hillary as a crutch. The election is over. You won. You need to stand on your own two feet. You control all branches of government now. It's long past time for you folks to man up.

Well, the reason they are not asking those questions is because unlike you, they know your "questions" are based on false premises. And unlike you they are not willing to be branded as a doofus. Comey didn't forgive Hillary of anything. Clinton's emails controversy lasted for a year and a half comrade.

Unfortunately for you and those like you comrade, most Americans do not share your ignorance. You have been duped by right wing entertainers.

Then why has he intentionally done so with invented fictions? Why did Trump falsely accuse Obama of illegally wiretapping his phones? The fact is unlike Trump and his associates, neither Clinton or Obama have dirty hands. And both Clinton and Obama have offered assistance to Trump. But they will not corrupt their values to do so. They will not lie as Trump has done and continues to do so. The truth is Trump is undoubtedly the most dishonest president in American history.

And where is you evidence Obama and Clinton have decided to use their "KGB misinformation training"? Do you really believe this crap Wellwisher? If you do I have a few bridges I want to sell you.

And how is Trump going to "take them out"? Is he going to order his jackbooted brown shirts to take them out or will he ask his Russian sponsors to "take them out" with some exotic poisons and what will that do to "drain the swamp"? Please do be specific.

The truth isn't a KGB pressure tactic comrade. It's just the truth. If Trump is being falsely accused, why is he so afraid of an investigation? If there is no there, there, why is one of his closest associates seeking a plea deal? How do you account for all the evidence? How do you account all of the secret meetings between Trump's closest associates and Russian intelligence officers and bankers, and why the cover-up? Why has Trump gone to extraordinary lengths to suppress an investigation. If there is no there, there, he should welcome and cooperate with the investigations as Clinton did rather than attempting to suppress and delay the them as he has done.

The fact that you think the truth is a KGB pressure tactic is telling comrade. What are you afraid of? Obviously you and those like you fear the truth. I think you should ask yourselves why.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Jeeves likes this.