Can water be destroyed?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by lackofskill, Nov 23, 2005.

1. lackofskill Registered Member

I was riding on the back of a truck when this question came to me. I asked a few people on the truck but no one could come up with a definate anwser, thanks for the help...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

can water be destroyed...?

Water can change between states, vapor and ice....can be broken down into H2 gas and O2 gas....can be incorporated into other substances....and can, like anything else, be converted into massive amounts of pure energy by E=mc^2...
    but it cannot be distroyed entirely -- banished from existance, if thats what you mean...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dascu Registered Senior Member

You could anihilate the water protons though. Still, that won't completly destroy it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Glenn Registered Member

The law of conservation of matter states,

"matter can not be created or destroyed, only changed in form."

so, no it can't be destroyed, nothing can really be destroyed.

8. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

Technically yes, if you mean chemical/molecular changes and properties. A chemical reaction will do the trick. Chemical reaction by definition is any reaction which cannot be easily reversed, sometimes ireversible. Pure water is only found in laboratories, all other water especialy commercial distilled water is filled with additives. So since pure water is manufactured it can also be destroyed. Pure water changes to other compounds upon reaction. C02 for example yields carbonic acid:
    CO2(g) + H2O(l) H2CO3(aq)

Not only has the water molecules changes but also its octet structure and P.H are skewed. Hence no more water. And since every material in the universe is a configuration of molecules in the first place then the answer is yes, water can be destroyed. Physical changes like temperature and state do not destroy water

P.S
    God I love chemistry

9. Glenn Registered Member

That is what is meant by, "only changed in form."

10. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

I suppose you can put it that way too, but that does not expain nor emphasises the transformation. Like when human beings die they only change in form to fossil materials. Correct amigo! but does not in the least emphasis the scenario and consequences.

11. Glenn Registered Member

whow, we really got a, "chicken and the egg" thing goin on here. lol

12. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Whoah whoah, that is wrong, that means an entirely different thing because the term "destroyed" is too loose. You are talking about the law of conservation of energy, not the conservation of matter.

The conservation of matter states:
    During an ordinary chemical change, there is no detectable increase or decrease in the quantity of matter.

The conservation of energy states:
    Energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can change its form.

Therefore:
    The total quantity of matter and energy available in the universe is a fixed amount and never any more or less.

The chemical compound H2O can be broken down, but you are still left with the same amount of matter when you add the H2 and O elemental mass, and the energy is dispearsed appropriately between the elements to equal the same amount as was in the water molecule.

Under ordinary chemical changes, matter is conserved. What about non-ordinary changes like antiproton and proton collision? Matter can be destroyed.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  13. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Matter CAN be destroyed with antimatter/anti-protons. If it can be destroyed, it can also be created. Only energy is constant.

A particle and its antimatter particle annihilate when they meet: they disappear and their kinetic plus rest-mass energy is converted into other particles (E = mc2).
    http://www.lbl.gov/abc/Antimatter.html

14. taylan007 Madman Registered Senior Member

Depends what you mean by destroyed???

What do you mean by destroyed???

15. Presumably, that it becomes an ex-puddle.

16. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

To add to this. Energy is a configuration of matter; matter at free or ready state. Charged particles are not free and when they meet opposing particles they achieve liberation and attain this free state. Matter and energy are technicaly the same but matter in question can be destroyed when shifting it's configuration, which is why energy is always constant. One man's matter is another's energy, one man's energy is another's matter.

17. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Exactly, glad we could help out, lackofskill

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Use an antimatter-bomb on it. Should do the trick!

19. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Chuck it into a black hole.

20. Renrue Someone Registered Senior Member

On the subject of energy,

Some scientists today believe that matter started off as energy "strings" and "rings," which came together to form protons, elections, neutrons. We can fit from there where matter is. So, technically matter can be formed into energy, and vice-versa, which is literally 'destroying' matter into energy. But I am sure you cannot destroy energy.

[Renrue]

21. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

ok i have a question the water levle is rising throught the world isnt it? so if water can rise ( grow) cant it lower and decress?

22. Renrue Someone Registered Senior Member

riku_124,
    Water levels are rising due to the "greenhouse effect." The water is coming from polar ice caps in the North and South Poles, and so to decrease the water levels we must:
    A) Restore the natural balance of Earth (freezing water back in the ice caps)
    B) Put it underground
    C) Toss it in space
    D) Some other alternative

[Renrue]

23. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

In a sense, yes. By jumbling around the shit inside the molecule, you could destroy the water molecule and form another molecule thusly. It all depends on how you interperet the word "destroy".