Can we ignore the Old Testament ?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Ted Grant II, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Ted Grant II Registered Senior Member

Can we ignore the Old Testament (OT) ?

When arguing with a Christian about the Bible, they will often be upset by verses quoted from the OT and a typical defense is, "Oh, that's the Old Testament, we have the New Testament now..."

Some Christian, however, realize that that defense is unsound for many reasons. The ten commandments are in the OT. Jesus and others often quoted from the OT and to top it all, Jesus, said, "Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." and we assume he meant the 613 laws in the first five books of the OT, not just the big ten.

So let's get a quote that I've used to upset Christians who haven't abandoned the OT.
    This is from Deuteronomy chapter 23, verse 1 and 2 in the JW bible, then the KJ version...

"No man castrated by crushing the testicles or having his male member cut off may come into the congregation of Jehovah. No illegitimate son may come into the congregation of Jehovah. Even to the tenth generation none of his may come into the congregation of Jehovah. "

"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD. A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD"

Suppose I was kidnapped by terrorists who knew about this verse, so decided to crush and cut my privates, then released me, would I be allowed to join the congregation at my local Church? Presumably, I would be checked at the door and refused entry!

The parents of Jesus (Mary and God) were not married, so doesn't that mean Jesus would also be refused entry?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You certainly don;t have to reference it if you choose not to.
    But if your opponent uses the OT as a source, you will have to defend your stance. You won't get far simply dismissing it with a handwave.

And if you're going to cherry-pick passages from scripture in an attempt to refute it, you'll have to get in line.

exchemist likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Cafeteria Christians take what they want and leave the rest. It's a way to avoid having to deal with the whole nasty book.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.