Can you completely destory one of the three dimensions of breadth,lenght and depth?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by river, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Don't be fooled by any knowledgeable physicist, and neural scientists

Sometimes their weird ideas are NOT deep thoughtful insight into the Universe

They really are weird ideas

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I won't deny that, but sometimes they are brilliant insights.

Sometimes it takes years or even centuries before a seemingly weird theory is verified by actual experimentation.

Before Galileo proved his Law of Falling Bodies and their acceleration relationship to Time, people had for 2000 years accepted Aristotle's theory that heavier bodies tend to fall faster than lighter bodies.

Einstein predicted light would bend in a gravitational field of a star. It took years before he was proven right and in the process also established his hotly disputed Theory of General Relativity and the Gravitational warping of spacetime itself . That was a weird concept at that time.

Higgs predicted the existence of a completely unknown fundamental particle which created a causal field which was/is responsible for the mass of known particles. It took some 30 years to build the Cern particle collider and lots of money, but when they tested it, behold, there it was, the Higgs boson.

I really recommend to watch this great NOVA presentation, The Great Math Mystery. For us lay persons it is not only entertaining but really informative in a very uncomplicated way.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtAFiI39_I

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

I viewed the video .

What was interesting is this , the bouncing ball hit the ground before the bowling ball , odd . 29:53 of the video. Focus your vision.

And there is not a chance that 200 miles above the Earth , that the bouncing ball would hit the Earth before the bowling ball .

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

To the ZPF( zero point field ) theory , higgs particle is not a surprise .

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Great, I hope you enjoyed it.
    Consider that it was a handheld experiment. If he had used a synchronized mechanical release sytem, they would have fallen at the exact same rate. And because the experiment was performed in the earth's atmosphere (air), the results are close enough to prove that a heavier object of similar shape does not fall faster than a lighter object.
    In a vacuum , the results would be precise, regardless of size, mass, or shape. The astronaut in space proved that the feather fell as fast as the hammer, while in the earth's air the hammer fell much faster than the feather which gently floated down.

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

deleted for duplication

10. river

Show this experiment , between the hammer and feather , in space .

11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Not anymore, but it was then, it had been predicted, but never been proved. And that's the key.

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

It was in the video, it's a little fuzzy but if you look closely at his left and right hand you will see the feather and the hammer and you can see them falling at the same rate, admittedly not from very high, but feather did not float down, it fell just as fast as the hammer. The reason why they fell at all was that the spacecraft was still subject to earth's gravity field and probably accelerating. But there was no air resistance and that was the difference.

But in context of the topic, I really enjoyed the demonstration of the relationship of acceleration of falling bodies to units of time.

13. river

Not good enough .

I want both , the bowling ball and the bouncing ball at 200miles above the Earth , let go at the same moment .

14. Baldeee Valued Senior Member

In all your examples, the hypothesis was scientific, and falsifiable.
    Is that the case with Bohm's notion?
    Can it ever be shown to be the case?
    Can it ever be shown to be incorrect?

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I don't know. That is way beyond my knowledge. But I believe it is tentatively accepted hypothesis, if not theory.
    I have never read his book, Wholeness and the Implicate Order, but from knowledgeable narrative reviews, Bohmian Mechanics really appeals to me. There is an extensive article in wiki, with many references.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bohm

and a comprehensive review;

http://www.vision.net.au/~apaterson/science/david_bohm.htm

16. river

Hmmm.....Mechanics ....

What drives , or what gives the mechanics energy ? To have movement ?

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

LOL, you are questioning Galileo's law of falling bodies? You might as well question E =Mc^2 .
    Good luck with that.

18. river

I question the experiment .

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

21. Write4U Valued Senior Member

@ river,
    Oops, I was wrong, this was not in a spaceship but on the moon which has no air resistance.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

During the Apollo 15 mission in 1971, astronaut David Scott showed that Galileo was right: acceleration is the same for all bodies subject to gravity on the Moon, even for a hammer and a feather.

22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

From Wiki,

23. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

What part did you not understand?