Can you trust an atheist?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Why?, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Why? Registered Senior Member

After all, without a belief in God, atheists can lie and believe they are free from supernatural repercussions. But, should you trust such a person?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

lol, ofcourse you can. should you trust a person who believes in things without any basis of proof?.

trust people as individuals not as a group.

peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What kind of question is that !? :bugeye:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Let me ask you this, do you not lie solely because of your believe in God ? If the answer is yes you are a pitiful person, if the answer is no you know the answer to your own questions.

8. Why? Registered Senior Member

A theist believes, however irrationally in your mind, that lying could result in going to Hell. Therefore, such a person is more likely to tell you the truth. A person who has no such belief has little reason to tell you the truth willingly. Why should I trust an atheist?

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

See post 4 :bugeye:

10. Why? Registered Senior Member

Do I not lie solely because of my belief in God? What does that mean? If I believe in God, why would I be lying?

11. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Just believeing in god shouldnt be the only reason you dont lie. Are you saying that if you knew there was no god you'd be a horrible lying bastard? I hope not

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, do you ? Do you only not lie because your believe in God ?

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm afraid he is... looks like it at least..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Why? Registered Senior Member

Yes. Rationally, if I had no fear of God, I would certainly lie. Of course, there is a point of dimishing returns in lying - like the boy who cried wolf. Nevertheless, I sure would lie a lot more.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Sigh.. so who is the lying bastard here ? You are, only you are afraid to do it.

16. oreodont I am God Registered Senior Member

If there is some supernatural being how do you know if he cares if you lie or not? Do you hear voices in your head? I find it harder to trust a person who is unstable and claims to hear a god speaking in his ear.

Have you always heard voices? Voices telling you what to do?. Seek help. there are treatments that can help stop your delusional periods.

17. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

what a stupid question, I would trust an atheist before I trust a so-called-theist!!! lol, is true

18. Why? Registered Senior Member

Who said you need to hear voices to believe in God? Hearing voices is disturbing even to theists. Now, by hearing voices, I assume you are not referring to your own voice telling you to behave?

19. Why? Registered Senior Member

Jesus is the truth and the way. "Truth" is a pretty clear indication that lying is bad.

20. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

So your saying that love of your fellow man and respect for them have no bearing to you? Thats really sad that fear is the only thing that keeps you in line. I bet your a W fan too arent you?

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Are you assuming that atheists lie more than theists ?
    Do theists lie, at all ? Do they never do horrible things ?

22. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

If you've never seen a theist lie, or met a theist that was untrustworthy, then you have obviously led a very sheltered life.
    Catholic priests molesting altar boys comes to mind.

Why are you stereotyping all athiests as untrustworthy?
    Christians, Jews, Muslims, and other theists can be just as untrustworthy. It's not the religion, it's the individual.
    Two of my best friends are athiests and I trust both of them. They have never given me any reason to not.

23. oreodont I am God Registered Senior Member

Seek help. There are medications that will stop your delusions. It's not always easy, but try taking the first step.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007